PDA

View Full Version : Light line fishing

FISHINGBEE
06-27-2010, 08:18 PM
Not too many people like to use light line. I just so happen to be a light line fanatic. I found out that circle hooks make a dramatic difference. Since all you have to do is reel in the line and the fish hooks him or herself. No swinging for the stars just set the hook. Then i broke down and got me a new reel with a smooth drag. A sensitive rod also helps fishing 2 lb line with a stiff rod will not work. This i caught bass to 6 lbs on the 2 lb gear. I remember only breaking off 1 fish. I was fishing with Oscar that day. Never horse the fish in. Play the fish enjoy the fight. Always follow your fish. Avoid tangles with other fisherman by following the fish. Most important hold your tongue right!

FISHINGBEE

old pudd fisher
06-27-2010, 08:35 PM
Nice tip I like light line to for fishing city parks, but what is a circle hook ?

Nessie Hunter
06-28-2010, 06:34 AM
I like light line fishing also.

Main tools are a very smooth drag and a soft rod (no old guy jokes here!!)

The fight on lite line is exciting and fun....
I use circle hooks for some large fish, but not very often...
Have a good stock of them though... They work well...

FISHINGBEE
06-28-2010, 09:20 AM
They have circle hooks everywhere. I buy them at Walmart . They say circle hook on package. If you get some do not swing or you will miss the bite. It took me a few days to learn that.

old pudd fisher
06-28-2010, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the info. guys. I'll be trying them out.

FISHINGBEE
06-28-2010, 06:41 PM
Fish is always hooked on corner side of the mouth. Easy to get the hook out. Less damage to the fish.

FISHINGBEE

smokinflies
06-29-2010, 03:19 PM
... No swinging for the stars...

FISHINGBEE

That's one of the best parts of fishing. :Cool:

Make sure those fish know they're hooked and the fight is on.:Wink:

DockRat
06-30-2010, 06:50 AM
I use a old Ugly Stick with 6 lb test in the ocean for shoreline or making bait.
The problem is alot of lost gear, swimbaits ect. But you sure can cast a 1/2 oz leadhead far.

In the surf I go with 4 lb flourocarbon leader.

Nice tip I like light line to for fishing city parks, but what is a circle hook ?

The idea is that the mouth corner is the last spot to hook as the hook comes out of the mouth, throat, or belly.

Longliners use the too in the ocean.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj57/chemicalpotential/CircleHook.jpg

Seņor.Chilax
06-30-2010, 09:32 AM
I actually took a light rod with 4lb line to Balboa pier last week for some bait and caught a short sculpin instead. It was a nice little fight. I was just a little worried pulling it up but it was fine. I'm pretty sure if I got something bigger I would have to throw the net out to get it up to the pier more securely.

ps. the short sculpin was released.

FISHINGBEE
07-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Is that why most bass anglers use heavy line? So they could swing for the stars.

FISHINGBEE

adriiiian
07-01-2010, 12:36 PM
great tip man many people say get it in fast but I think just like you make it fight as long as it wants thats one of the bests things about fishing.

Seņor.Chilax
07-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Its fun to fish with light tackle but if I were CPRing I wouldn't want to get a fish all exhausted just to throw it back. That's probably why bass fisherman/fisher-women use heavier line, that way they hook the fish, bring it in, release it and off to the next victim.

fishmounter
07-02-2010, 12:14 PM
I fish nothing but 2 lb test on ultralight rods for big Bluegill at Lake Perris. We have caught some very big fish, including catfish and carp, bass, trout and big crappie. You HAVE to have a reel that has an ultra-smooth drag when using 2 lb line. As for Circle hooks, I ordered some black # 8 Eagle Claw from Cabelas. I want to try them out with crickets. Got to remember the no-hook-set thing. I do like the fact that fewer fish are hooked in the throat with circle hooks. I mostly jig fish so deep hooking fish hardly ever happens.

Natural Lefty
07-05-2010, 11:44 AM
I have been using 2 pound line a lot, but my reel handle fell off after I finished fishing last Friday. Well, I have another reel with 2 pound line on it, fortunately. I have to check my drag a lot, too. It does need to be smooth and you need to make sure to tie good knots. A lot of the Bluegills I have been catching on flies are swallowing it, but I am able to remove the hook okay and release the young little ones to grow up. In any case, you normally get a lot more bites on 2 pound test. Earlier this year, few fish were even biting at Perris unless one was using 2 pound line, at least from the docks. I also use 2 pound line for Trout quite a often, since the water is usually very clear in the places I fish, and the fish get line-shy very easily.

FISHINGBEE
07-05-2010, 03:40 PM
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee84/savannahnsierra/BEEBASS-1.jpg Here is my recent catch on 2lb line. Talk about a fight. There were also weeds to drag her through. This bass spawned about a week or two before i caught her. The water was very clear also. There was a few other anglers thinking i was crazy for using 2 lb test.

FISHINGBEE