PDA

View Full Version : Prado 6/27 Bass Fishin with elkubano

xjdesertfox
06-27-2010, 06:57 PM
so my close friend and I decided we wanted to go back to prado as the lake was good to us our first time out, we both got new setups and wanted to get them on the water.

We arrive at the lake at 8:13am and park in the first lot on the right. we notice bass boiling like crazy and a couple of guys in the only spot which could cast into the boils. so we head the opposite direction towards the center of the lake.

We find a spot inbetween some reeds, the guy next to us is hooking small bass on a tiny swimbait. elkubano starts the day off flipping a jig. he catches moss on his jig and decides to go a different route, i rig my drop shot rod with a robo and start casting for nothing.

elkubano switches to a plastic and i keep dropshotting for nothing. i decide i want to throw a swimbait with my casting setup and end up casting into the reeds. DOH! :Neutral:

as i'm retying i look over at elkubano holding a 1+ lbs bass he caught on a plastic. i ditch the swimbait and take the spot next to him and throw a similar plastic for a sub-1lber.

We fished for hours after that all over the lake for nothing, but atleast we got the skunk off, as we were about to call it quits i practiced casting with my baitcaster and WHAM! BIG STRIKE. i set the hook hard and make sure i got the fish hooked, fought it breifly and got it near shore, just as elkubano was about to grab it, the fish shakes it's head and breaks me off.

it was the biggest bass me and elkubano had seen in that lake, was easily 4-5lbs and look GORGEOUS with its patterning.

we fished for another hour trying to catch in that same spot but to no avail. i will come back to get him someday!:mad:

xjdesertfox
06-27-2010, 07:37 PM
also wanted to mention, the prado lake staff is awesome! super friendly people who are willing to help put you on the fish.

we met a ranger today who stopped us as we hiked to the backside of the lake and gave us some tips on whats catching, he checked our fishing licenses and daily fishing pass for prado. theyre really trying to keep the poachers away at prado!

Elkubano13
06-28-2010, 12:03 AM
another great day out today with tim, learning the lake and scouting out spots. next time we'll be ready and come in hot from the get go. those 4+ lb'ers will b ours.

Swank909
06-28-2010, 03:42 PM
Prado is quite a drive from Chatsworth lol! The new setup seems to be working well for you, grats on the skunk beater

xjdesertfox
06-28-2010, 04:03 PM
its about 60 miles, not too bad considering the closest lake is castaic which is 40 miles away.

smokinflies
06-28-2010, 08:53 PM
Nice job beating the skunk guys. I've been wanting to head back there to try for the bass.

Two questions, if you don't mind me asking:

1. What type/color (description) plastic were you guys using?

b. What lb test were you casting?

Elkubano13
06-29-2010, 02:33 AM
mostly darker colors, i was throwing a strike king rodent in double header and desertfox was throwing a yamamoto flappin hog in green pumpkin with black flake. i was casting 12 lb p-line clear flouroclear and desertfox was casting 10 lb mist green flouroclear, the water is pretty stained throughout the lake except by the near damn where the lake entrance is so line color probably wont matter. good luck

xjdesertfox
06-29-2010, 08:52 AM
what elkubano said, but with that said, the baits seem as if they change up frequently. The last time we were there i caught on a dropshotted orange jerk-it lure. and he caught on a money minnow swimbait in herring color.

NINJA
06-29-2010, 07:58 PM
prado has a decent amount of quality bass, from what I've seen. I haven't gotten any over 6 lbs out of there, but I've gotten several 4-6 lbers.....what is the deal with posting pics on this site? anyone know the size limit?

LuvThymetal
06-30-2010, 12:50 AM
Yo we should go fishing sometime, I also live in Chatsworth!

smokinflies
06-30-2010, 03:44 PM
mostly darker colors, i was throwing a strike king rodent in double header and desertfox was throwing a yamamoto flappin hog in green pumpkin with black flake. i was casting 12 lb p-line clear flouroclear and desertfox was casting 10 lb mist green flouroclear, the water is pretty stained throughout the lake except by the near damn where the lake entrance is so line color probably wont matter. good luck

Wow, 10lb test and a 5lber broke you off.

Thanks for the bait info. I'm gonna have to try to get out there next weekend.