PDA

View Full Version : Monster White Seabass and New Personal Best

Fishbones
06-27-2010, 01:51 PM
Ive been on the search for mr seabass for about 6 trips now with no luck except a big yellow a few weeks ago but finally i caught my long awaited seabass. I had made plans with Ron "Fishinone" to take him and his buddy bong & scott out to hook them up with some yellows was the plan. We met up around 3am in san pedro and launched the boat under the bridge and the journey almost came to a end in the bay. It was super low tide and as we left the launch ramp we noticed the water was really low,.,., how low you say,.,.,when we finally realized that it was a bad situation when we looked over to our right and seen the boat that just launched before us stuck in the mud...we were trippin big time...depth finder said there was 1.5 feet of water under us....which was hard to believe....so i stuck my rod over the side of the boat and sure enough it hits ground just feet under the boat. If we wernt in a flat bottom boat we would have been stuck too...lucky us,.,. so after out little scary few minutes we made it to the bait receiver where we loaded up on sardines since they had no squid. Ron and bong had bought some squid from a market they said so i didnt worry to much then.. were on our way across the channel and to set up on the west end in the bait grounds with the rest of the fleet sitting in the fog with no sun visible but the island and lots of boats around us.
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_0490-1.jpg
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_0492-1.jpg
we anchored up the boat and started setting up our gear and watched the fish finder for signs of life
under or around the boat, with good signs on the screen i knew it was only time before hook up.
I saw a few hook ups through many boats around us but nothing crazy or wide open.
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_0491-1.jpg
I casted out a sardine on my first pole and went to set up a dropper lope when i found the squid they had bought...it was pink and stinky stuff,.,.squid that i have never caught anything off of before in my life but i pinned on one anyway and gave it a try i was thinking nothing would eat this bait,.,,.
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_0495-1.jpg
sure enough ten minutes later my rod gets bit and starts to take clicker....i engage my reel and set the hook....it starts peeling drag and start thinking its a batray but it didnt fight like a ray and that got me pumped up big time within a few minutes it heads for the anchor line and had me on it for sure...i could feel it rubbing against it and thought it was a goner but to my surprise it goes under the boat and comes up next to me...i yell to the guys get the gaff its a big seabass, bong grabs the gaff, a old freshwater shakespear fishing rod that ron had converted and gaffs the seabass, i didnt want to trust it so i reached down and grabbed it by the gills and lifted it over the rail.,.,then started shouting like a lottery winner and screaming yes!!!!
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_0488-1.jpg
this thing was creepy and looked like a dinosaur/dragon, all it needed to do was breath fire
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_0494-1.jpg
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_0496-1.jpg
Mr Seabass representing with FNN PRIDE sporting the fresh gear
i was super excited and the blood was flowing big time...within minutes of that Rons pole goes off in the bow but ron was in the stern so bong grabs it and sets the hook the fish starts taking line and the fight was on...it also tried to wrap him in the anchor but i quickly got up there for the assist....we cleared the anchor line and then it went towards the stern so i handed the rod off to ron and he started fighting it for a few untill it tried going under the motor so i jumped back there grabbed the rod got it under the prop and cleared it free.,.,i started to short pump it next to the boat and saw a big flash, felt the line break and it was gone.,.,.aw man what a bummer that was ,., and so much fun climbing around the boat and running back and forth fighting this fish.
We sat there for a hour or so and made another move to where the fleet went.
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_0493-1.jpg
with no more bites or runs as it got time to leave we made it around the west end to find what looked like a mile of mackrel boiling on small sardines so we slayed the macks for bait and started across the channel. On our way back we stopped by the horseshoe for a quick barracuda slayage on the mint tady45 of coarse and decided to call it a day and head home, we arrived to a high tide "phew" and had the boat to the dock with no problems heres our sweet ride for the day
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_0497-1.jpg
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_0498-1.jpg
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_0501-2.jpg
Me and my new personal best white seabass at home with the last pic before fillet time and stone removal.
White seabass have these stone is there head which acts as there equilibrium
and helps them swim right side up. If you have ever caught one you must keep the stones, either have the
deckhand get them for you or try it your self but i must warn you its not easy.
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_0503-1.jpg
after such a great trip there must always be a victory dinner and tonights menu was blackened seabass with some fresh pasta,, it was delicious, the spices were unreal and it was so tender and juicy one of the best if had in a while, but the tuna are coming so i dont want to speak to soon.
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_0502-1.jpg

fisherman from long beach
06-27-2010, 02:01 PM
damn alex,congrats on the slayage,and helping out the guys with their fight.sweet pics and report as always.

BIGRED KILLA
06-27-2010, 02:04 PM
Nice job on your PB WSB sucks about the lost fish but at least you landed your ghost.

Bigred

Big Daddy
06-27-2010, 02:24 PM
Congrats on that fantastic WSB Great report and Great pictures

BrandonFish
06-27-2010, 03:48 PM
great great WSB!! i knew you guys would get one just didnt know it would be that big! lol congrats on the PB wtg out there great report and pics
"after such a great trip there must always be a victory dinner and tonights menu was blackened seabass with some fresh pasta,, it was delicious, the spices were unreal and it was so tender and juicy one of the best if had in a while, but the tuna are coming so i dont want to speak to soon." looks delicious!

Mr Seabass representing with FNN PRIDE sporting the fresh gear :Cool:

troutdog
06-27-2010, 03:49 PM
Awesome catch, congrats on your pb wsb....nice report too!

TD

elevated
06-27-2010, 03:53 PM
cheeeehuuuuu nice report and wsb!

TroutOnly
06-27-2010, 04:01 PM
MAN ALEX ITS LIKE YOU GET ON THE BOAT AND BIG FISH GET DEAD ,GREAT JOB AGAIN ,I MET BONG WITH RON AT CASTAIC ,HES A COOL GUY, WELL SO IS RON,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

bassmeister
06-27-2010, 04:11 PM
Now thats a very nice ghost. I'm still waiting to pop my ghost cherry.

diamondbear
06-27-2010, 04:36 PM
What a GREAT Adventure , awesome report with pics . NICE PB KILL . Good looking dinner .

fishinone
06-27-2010, 04:52 PM
Hey Alex,

Congrat's on the PB WSB.

Thanks for helping us out to figure out the Sea Bass Bite. Sure didn't take long to get a couple bites once we got there.

We're looking forward to using those macks, I kept some big ones.

I got some pictures of your fish and the action.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Catalina%206-24-2010%20Alex%20got%20a%20White%20Sea%20Bass/IMG00010-20100626-0734.jpg
Here's Alex with his fish.

I didn't like that picture so I went to the front to take some more.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Catalina%206-24-2010%20Alex%20got%20a%20White%20Sea%20Bass/IMG00011-20100626-0735.jpg
I took this one while I waited for him to put his pole back out, there's that box of squid.

Before I could ask him to let me take a good one, my pole was hooked up at the front.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Catalina%206-24-2010%20Alex%20got%20a%20White%20Sea%20Bass/IMG00012-20100626-0736.jpg
I told Bong to grab it because he was right there and Alex went to help out.

It was a strong fish

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Catalina%206-24-2010%20Alex%20got%20a%20White%20Sea%20Bass/IMG00013-20100626-0737.jpg
It circled the boat as we tried to keep it out of everything.

We managed to keep it out of all the lines and both motors but the teeth sawed through the 30 pound Big Game 6" up from the hook. The line looked like it had been sanded. The fish must have vacuumed the two squid I had pinned on up a swallowed them right down.

Those White Sea Bass are some awesome fish.

kpn
06-27-2010, 05:15 PM
Alex,
Congrats on your PB WSB. I went on the hunt for them a few years ago, but never got a legal yet. That's a PIG.
Thanks for the "on the water" report yesterday........It got me excite for a while there :LOL:.
Great job helping on the hooked up.

KPN.

DockRat
06-27-2010, 06:19 PM
WOW, Monster WSB. Congrats Alex. :Applause::Not Worthy:

How many pounds was she ?
DR

RiversideTrout77
06-27-2010, 06:46 PM
Congrats on your WSB and boy did that dinner luck yummy.

murrieta angler
06-27-2010, 06:58 PM
Glad to hear you got your WSB fix Alex, with a PB to boot!
That thing is almost as tall as you are Bro!
If you decide to hit up a 1 1/2-2 day cattle boat for tuna , give me a shout and I'll try my best to get out with you. I'll be at the river this week, but after that, it's all good!
Robert

P.S. That filet looks super tasty

pineapple express
06-27-2010, 07:10 PM
wtg on that toad alex...sounds like a fun trip.
that pic of the pasta & filet plate looks onolicious....yummmmm.
mahaloz for sharing

bergie berg
06-27-2010, 07:14 PM
Thats a nice WSB, great job!! Are those stones you are referring to called otoliths (sp?) and dont all fish have them?

bergie

FISHINGBEE
06-27-2010, 08:43 PM
Thats a sweet WSB . I noticed a lot of good WSB counts lately.

FISHINGBEE

KID CREOLE
06-27-2010, 09:42 PM
Congrats, more to come I'm sure!

brycek1984
06-27-2010, 09:54 PM
Congrats. Very nice & you deserve it.

JapanRon
06-27-2010, 10:24 PM
Hi fishbones,

Congrats buddy !!

Great report and pics. FF screen shot worth a 1000 words huh ?!

JapanRon

CRESTLINER16
06-27-2010, 10:44 PM
Very nice!!!! Congrats! thanks for a great story an photos. Always enjoy your posts.

Greg Madrigal
06-28-2010, 12:22 AM
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_0503-1.jpg

Ahhhhhhhh, NOW I see where you got your name from! LOL!

Nice report there Mr. Looks like I need to do the same trip on a weekday tho.

GM<><

Wingnut
06-28-2010, 12:25 AM
Dude, when the pic of that beast showed up on my Blackberry... my jaw hit the floor. :Shocked:
Persistence finally paid off, very well done Alex. Now go get another one! :Twisted:

FISHSTIX
06-28-2010, 11:19 AM
CHA-CHING!! I believe in karma. After a night in the elements you tried to get Fishinone and his buddies on some WSB and got your first and a toad at that. Too bad the other one got away. I bet pulling on those sandies a few hours before helped you prepare for the battle,lol. Blackend Cbass is lookin goood!

gletemfeelsteelgary
06-28-2010, 12:17 PM
saweet feesh Alex....Toad fo' sho' congrats on your 1st and personal best....

I was out for them as well sat as you know but was on the wrong end of the island where the bite was much slower, glad you got on the action, thats a sweet feesh, sorry about the lost fish as well.

Did you get the weight ?
Congrats....ohhhh yeah !

Which Way Out
06-28-2010, 02:33 PM
Very nice Alex. Time on the water always pays off and a great dinner or two to top it off.:Beer Toast:

smokehound
06-28-2010, 09:10 PM
You stuck to it, and here are the results. This is a good example of what persistence can lead you to.

Congratulations. You earned it, man! All those dudes that skunked out at SARL should look at this post to show them what happens when you dont give up!

carpanglerdude
06-28-2010, 11:32 PM
Amazing, way to go on a killer fish!

bones
06-29-2010, 07:39 AM
Damn Alex......Your a fish killing machine!
Great job on the ghost dude!
Can't wait until some of those bigger units start showing at the SWAT spots!

HESBROS
06-29-2010, 07:52 AM
Good Job Alex, that is a nice fish, and now you will have a challenge ahead to beat that new PB! We were out Sunday, I will post up a report! The backgrounds are the same.......

Fishbones
06-29-2010, 12:57 PM
damn alex,congrats on the slayage,and helping out the guys with their fight.sweet pics and report as always.

thanks johnny, we gotta get the monark out on rocky point and get you hooked up bro..

Nice job on your PB WSB sucks about the lost fish but at least you landed your ghost.Bigred

thanks BIGRED, i was glad to finally get one this year but was bummed we lost the 2nd..

Congrats on that fantastic WSB Great report and Great pictures

thanks Big Daddy, i try to write good reading reports with lots of action and photos..

great great WSB!! i knew you guys would get one just didnt know it would be that big! lol congrats on the PB wtg out there great report and pics "after such a great trip there must always be a victory dinner and tonights menu was blackened seabass with some fresh pasta,, it was delicious, the spices were unreal and it was so tender and juicy one of the best if had in a while, but the tuna are coming so i dont want to speak to soon." looks delicious!
Mr Seabass representing with FNN PRIDE sporting the fresh gear :Cool:

thanks brandon, jup its a toad,.,lol you better hold on cuz im sure there are a few crusing NPH
the dinner was amazing.,.omg!!,.,.

Awesome catch, congrats on your pb wsb....nice report too!TD

thanks troutdog, gotta love a new personal best,.,

nice report and wsb!

thanks elevated, lol on the

MAN ALEX ITS LIKE YOU GET ON THE BOAT AND BIG FISH GET DEAD ,GREAT JOB AGAIN ,I MET BONG WITH RON AT CASTAIC ,HES A COOL GUY, WELL SO IS RON,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Hahahahaha thanks Bob, its been a great season for me this year,.,.i love slaying big fish,.,.,
but it makes it tough to beat my own pb record when these fish are so big...lol

Now thats a very nice ghost. I'm still waiting to pop my ghost cherry.

thanks you bassmeister, its a monster for sure,,,get out there and get one...

What a GREAT Adventure , awesome report with pics . NICE PB KILL . Good looking dinner .

thank you diamondbear, every trip is an adventure for me it seems like,

Hey Alex,Congrat's on the PB WSB.
Thanks for helping us out to figure out the Sea Bass Bite. Sure didn't take long to get a couple bites once we got there.
We're looking forward to using those macks, I kept some big ones.
Those White Sea Bass are some awesome fish.

thank you Ron for the invite and thank bong too with out you guys i would have never caught that fish,.,
and that custom shakespear gaff came in handy,.,.not bad ron.,.,not bad at all...

Alex,Congrats on your PB WSB. I went on the hunt for them a few years ago, but never got a legal yet. That's a PIG.Thanks for the "on the water" report yesterday........It got me excite for a while there :LOL:.Great job helping on the hooked up.KPN.

thanks khahn, it was a long hunt this year but paid off, im glad you enjoyed the pics of the beast,.,.that always gets me going
when i get a pic message from a friend with a toad fish...

WOW, Monster WSB. Congrats Alex. :Applause::Not Worthy:How many pounds was she ?DR

thanks DR, scale said 37 but i think it was broken,,.,.,lol

Congrats on your WSB and boy did that dinner luck yummy.

thanks RiversideTrout77, the recipe will be posted later on a thread.

Glad to hear you got your WSB fix Alex, with a PB to boot!
That thing is almost as tall as you are Bro! If you decide to hit up a 1 1/2-2 day cattle boat for tuna , give me a shout and I'll try my best to get out with you. I'll be at the river this week, but after that, it's all good! Robert,.,P.S. That filet looks super tasty

thanks robert, i finally gopt my ghost for this year,,,what a hunt it was,,.i am totally up for a tuna trip bro,.,.lets set something up
good luck at the river bro, my boy richy will be out there too. the diunner was amazing.,.

wtg on that toad alex...sounds like a fun trip.
that pic of the pasta & filet plate looks onolicious....yummmmm.
mahaloz for sharing

thanks bra, it was a goodtime and even better dinner to end it all for the set.

Thats a nice WSB, great job!! Are those stones you are referring to called otoliths (sp?) and dont all fish have them?bergie

thanks bergie berg, those are the otoliths and yes all fish do have them, its only the large adults that can be harvested.
white seabass are the only fish ive seen them removed from.

Thats a sweet WSB . I noticed a lot of good WSB counts lately.FISHINGBEE

thanks FISHINGBEE, you gotta get out there and get one..

Congrats, more to come I'm sure!

thanks alot KID CREOLE, i hope so...

Congrats. Very nice & you deserve it.

thank you brycek1984, i really appreciate it.

Hi fishbones,,.,.Congrats buddy !!
Great report and pics. FF screen shot worth a 1000 words huh ?! JapanRon

thanks JapanRon, you said it ,.,.1000 words for sure.,.

Very nice!!!! Congrats! thanks for a great story an photos. Always enjoy your posts.

thanks CRESTLINER, glad you enjoyed the adventure i lived and try to share with all ,.,.

Ahhhhhhhh, NOW I see where you got your name from! LOL!
Nice report there Mr. Looks like I need to do the same trip on a weekday tho. GM<><

thanks Greg Madrigal, hahahaha.,.,its because i slay the fish,.,.,lol
hurry up and get out there .,.

Dude, when the pic of that beast showed up on my Blackberry... my jaw hit the floor. :Shocked:
Persistence finally paid off, very well done Alex. Now go get another one! :Twisted:

thanks Arthur, it looked super crazy in that photo,.,.im ready for No.2,.,.out of the surf thow.,.,

CHA-CHING!! I believe in karma. After a night in the elements you tried to get Fishinone and his buddies on some WSB and got your first and a toad at that. Too bad the other one got away. I bet pulling on those sandies a few hours before helped you prepare for the battle,lol. Blackend Cbass is lookin goood!

thanks Fishstix, i hope it was,,,my first no but a toad yes,.,.it did suck losing the other fish,.,.big time
our twilight trip that night did get me ready for battle,.,.thanks for the props on the dinner,.,means alot comming from a chef.

saweet feesh Alex....Toad fo' sho' congrats on your 1st and personal best....
I was out for them as well sat as you know but was on the wrong end of the island where the bite was much slower, glad you got on the action, thats a sweet feesh, sorry about the lost fish as well.Did you get the weight ?Congrats....ohhhh yeah !

thanks gary, shes not my first,.,.of this year yes,.,.and a toad non the less,.,.
you guys need to get back out there and get yours,.,. scale said said 37 but i think its broken..lol

Very nice Alex. Time on the water always pays off and a great dinner or two to top it off

thanks Which Way Out, it finally paid off after much effort and the dinner was the icing on the cake.

You stuck to it, and here are the results. This is a good example of what persistence can lead you to.
Congratulations. You earned it, man! All those dudes that skunked out at SARL should look at this post to show them what happens when you dont give up!

thanks smokehound, man did i stick it out,,,almost broke me,.,.i agree 100% with you and encourage everyone to
Never Give Up...thank you once again.

Amazing, way to go on a killer fish!

thanks carpanglerdude, shes a beauty ,.,

Damn Alex......Your a fish killing machine!
Great job on the ghost dude!Can't wait until some of those bigger units start showing at the SWAT spots!

thanks steve, im on a roll this year for sure,,havnt got my legal flattie yet thow..
hopefully soon to come

Good Job Alex, that is a nice fish, and now you will have a challenge ahead to beat that new PB! We were out Sunday, I will post up a report! The backgrounds are the same.......

thanks HESBROS, congrats to you as well bro, with your PB ghost,
i agree its gonna be tough to beat when there so big.

fishinone
06-29-2010, 01:41 PM
thank you Ron for the invite and thank bong too with out you guys i would have never caught that fish,.,
and that custom shakespear gaff came in handy,.,.not bad ron.,.,not bad at all...

Your welcome Alex,

Your great company. "Have fishing knowledge will travel.":Guns:

Now that I see what some people are going to put them through I'm planning to make the next gaff a little more stout. Maybe an Ugly Gaff. :LOL:

Which Way Out
06-30-2010, 02:38 PM
Congrats also on 1000 views. Your a popular fisherman as well.:Beer Toast:

REZ
06-30-2010, 03:05 PM
Holy caca thats a big momma!! congrats bro! I just got an invite on a private boat cant wait to go slay!!

Zach1093
06-30-2010, 03:06 PM
THATS A MONSTER! Major congrats man!

Fishbones
06-30-2010, 06:31 PM
Your welcome Alex,Your great company. "Have fishing knowledge will travel.":Guns:
Now that I see what some people are going to put them through I'm planning to make the next gaff a little more stout.
Maybe an Ugly Gaff. :LOL:

thanks Ron always a pleasure fishing with you, looking forward to using that new gaff on a big yellow for you..

Congrats also on 1000 views. Your a popular fisherman as well.:Beer Toast:

thanks, lol thats more than 300 views a day,,,lol

Holy caca thats a big momma!! congrats bro! I just got an invite on a private boat cant wait to go slay!!

hahahaha thanks rez, goodluck bRo

THATS A MONSTER! Major congrats man!

i said the same thing, thanks zach.

smokehound
07-02-2010, 04:48 AM
I'm never looking at rotten squid the same ever again. LOL.

Fishbones
07-08-2010, 01:03 PM
glad to see u guys got into em. pink squid? that's wild

thanks babykiller,.,.,yup pink squid,.,.trip out huh..

I'm never looking at rotten squid the same ever again. LOL.

your telling me smokehound, never ever the same again...lol

BIGBASS MB
07-11-2010, 08:51 PM
"wow"
that's an awesome catch alex,
i bet he fought like hell...
Congrats on your pb
mb.

fishpimp4life
07-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Hey Fishbones,
That's what I'm talking about brotha. That's a real fat c bass!!! Congrats!!

KYLE

Fishbones
07-23-2010, 11:53 AM
"wow"
that's an awesome catch alex, i bet he fought like hell...
Congrats on your pbmb.

Thanks BBMB, it made a few short runs and tried to wrap me up on the anchor but i got him free.
I never mentioned this in my report but i caught it on 20lb mono,.,.can you say i got lucky..

Hey Fishbones,
That's what I'm talking about brotha. That's a real fat c bass!!! Congrats!!
KYLE

Thanks Kyle, we gotta get out and fish soob bro!!