PDA

View Full Version : SARL 6/25 Catfish

gavin310
06-27-2010, 11:11 AM
Sorry guys no pics. I haven't seen many reports from the opener so I figured I'd post anyway. Friday was my bday so i figured what better way to spend it than fishing. A girl who had been asking me about fishing came with so she could learn to catch catfish.

Got there around 3pm and was the 7th or 8th car. Got the poles set up and cars were moving right at 5pm. All the spots by the dock got taken quick, which turned out to be good for me cause I heard they didn't do so well. We set up on the north side just a ways up from the bend.

We got our lines in probably about 5:30pm and were getting bit almost right away. First hit I missed, second hit stayed hooked and my friend reeled in a 2lb. kitty. The bite was great for a solid 2 hours with a bite every 10 minutes, sometimes every 5. There were a few dead stretches for 30 minutes or so. Right when the sun went down the action totally stopped with only a couple bites for like 3 1/2 hours. Our bait was mackerel soaked in WD3, mackerel soaked in Big Willies XXX Blood, mackerel soaked in anchovy oil, and shrimp. They were biting everything. The people next to us were doing real good on shrimp.

We ended up reeling in 7 fish. Quite a few of the tagged fish were caught too (by other people, not me).

I have a question for the more experienced pay lake catfisherman. I got so many bites that didn't stick, but most of the time the people to the left and right of me would hook their fish when it bit. Their rod would dip and the fish would stick, my rod would dip and the fish would be gone. Our bait and hooks were pretty much the same size and I know they weren't using circle hooks. Any ideas? My friend and I would have both had our limits if they would have stayed hooked.

calico killer kevin
06-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Had the same problem as you a while back. An old timer taught me to wait for the bite, take any tension off the line, give it slack, watch your line, and don't set the hook until your line starts taking off. I've been really high on the bite:hook:land ratio since then. Thanks for the report.

cartmanis
06-27-2010, 03:36 PM
my grandpa insists you hold the pole and set the hook soon as you feel a tug, personally i just do the best i can i dont have the patients to hold the poles like that.

gavin310
06-28-2010, 03:19 PM
Had the same problem as you a while back. An old timer taught me to wait for the bite, take any tension off the line, give it slack, watch your line, and don't set the hook until your line starts taking off. I've been really high on the bite:hook:land ratio since then. Thanks for the report.

That's actually been my technique for a while. When I get a hit, I open up the bail and wait until the fish is taking off. After a few seconds I set the hook. Usually they've swallowed it by then. I guess they're just mouthing it even while running. Thing is, the guys next to me had their line so tight their pole was bent, and they hooked up every time they got a bite. They just ran over and started reeling it in. I tried that and still couldn't get them to stick. I think I'm go even smaller on the hooks next time. Maybe a size 6 mosquito?

calico killer kevin
06-28-2010, 08:41 PM
That's actually been my technique for a while. When I get a hit, I open up the bail and wait until the fish is taking off. After a few seconds I set the hook. Usually they've swallowed it by then. I guess they're just mouthing it even while running. Thing is, the guys next to me had their line so tight their pole was bent, and they hooked up every time they got a bite. They just ran over and started reeling it in. I tried that and still couldn't get them to stick. I think I'm go even smaller on the hooks next time. Maybe a size 6 mosquito?
Always works for me. My thinking is that when a catfish feels the tension, he's going to spit it out, so I just wait until he engulfs it. If they're full steam ahead, then they probably won't care.

At SARL, I fish macs on size 4 or size 2 mosquitoes and crawlers and M&M on size 4 or size 6.

bluehunter
06-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Tension does not necessarily mean they will drop the bait. If so people would never tightline. In some cases tighlining is better to do. A lot of times adjusting the hook is all you need. Treble hooks will knock the mess out of da box with finicky catfish. Circles as well. If they do not get hooked, they are too small 2 worry about anyway or may not even be catfish. Treble hooks are underated but serve a purpose especially with liver, some chunks of mac, and finicky catfish. Also depending on size of fish you may have to downsize your hooks and bait. Dont need big hooks and bait for stocker size fish 1-3 pounds.

gavin310
06-28-2010, 11:15 PM
Tension does not necessarily mean they will drop the bait. If so people would never tightline. In some cases tighlining is better to do. A lot of times adjusting the hook is all you need. Treble hooks will knock the mess out of da box with finicky catfish. Circles as well. If they do not get hooked, they are too small 2 worry about anyway or may not even be catfish. Treble hooks are underated but serve a purpose especially with liver, some chunks of mac, and finicky catfish. Also depending on size of fish you may have to downsize your hooks and bait. Dont need big hooks and bait for stocker size fish 1-3 pounds.

Thanks for the tips. I've only used circles on flatheads but I have some small ones I was gonna try on the channels. I'll give em a try this weekend. Also got some smaller trebles I can try out.

Kevthecatfishstudent
07-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Try flylinning your bait. I usually flyline and then open th bail and watch the line as mentioned before. Another way you could fish it is with a fiberglass rod. Normally if you get a taker on a fiberglass rod it normally will stay on. I never fish for channels with anything larger than 4 pound test unless Im boat fishing. This seems to get the fish to actually gulp the bait more often and allowing for a good hook set. Hope this helps I know there are more people with advice that will chime in but....

gavin310
07-03-2010, 09:02 AM
I never fish for channels with anything larger than 4 pound test unless Im boat fishing. This seems to get the fish to actually gulp the bait more often and allowing for a good hook set. Hope this helps I know there are more people with advice that will chime in but....
Ya know I knew lighter line helps them swallow it but it slipped my mind. I'm spooled with 10 lb so I'm gonna try a lighter leader too. Thanks