PDA

View Full Version : Saftey line aka leash

Which Way Out
06-27-2010, 07:53 AM
Not sure you Yakers down south have heard the story of the missing kayaker from Vanderburg AFB. He went missing last week while out fishing in the ocean. A big search and rescue operation has been going on for a week and sad to say, looks like he will never be found. I think he was a Fireman at the base and was a water rescue instructor as well. They have found the kayak along with a backpack off shore. No one knows for sure what happen and a lot of talk is going around. IMO he may have fallen out of the kayak and it was blown away from him while in the water. It was windy that day as it is most of the time up there. I am not sure how you guys work with kayaks but it might be a good idea to attach a leash not unlike a surfer does just in case you go overboard. Good luck out there and be safe!!!

DockRat
06-30-2010, 06:29 AM
Heard about that Fireman on the news.
First thing I thought of was a White Shark beacause of the Catalina lady last year.
The lady got knocked off her Yak then the GWS was chewing on the Yak as she held on.

All these :Sissy Fight: Stand Up Paddleboarders (the latest trend) all over the place it is only a matter of time till one gets taken out.

Condolences go out to the family.
DR

Which Way Out
06-30-2010, 08:52 AM
Heard about that Fireman on the news.
First thing I thought of was a White Shark beacause of the Catalina lady last year.
The lady got knocked off her Yak then the GWS was chewing on the Yak as she held on.

All these :Sissy Fight: Stand Up Paddleboarders (the latest trend) all over the place it is only a matter of time till one gets taken out.

Condolences go out to the family.
DR

No kidding about the GWS. In the local news few days ago a young sea lion was rescued from a buoy just outside the Santa Barbara Harbor that had been attacked and badly injured then died shortly after. Then a young GWS ( appox. 250 lb )washed op on the beach dead. No news as to any connection to each other as of now. The news will probably be quite on this. Stand up Paddleboarders all over the place up here not to mention float tubers. I like the idea of using a float tube, but not so much in saltwater. Looks to much like a snack to me.:Popcorn: