PDA

View Full Version : Puddingstone on the fly

VIVID_FLY
06-25-2010, 04:07 PM
Well another day at the lake , caught some scattered holds of Red Ear and Bluegills all on my hand tied mini green wooly bugger.

Also met this family fishing on Middle Pier .... check out what they caught ... we think its a Cichlid they took it home for aquarium enjoyment

ANYONE KNOW THE TRUE ID OF THIS FISH LET ME KNOW

old pudd fisher
06-25-2010, 06:43 PM
Yep it looks like a released Cichlid to me, glad he was rescued and hope he has a good home now.

Airona124
06-26-2010, 05:08 PM
looks like a peacock to me

old pudd fisher
06-26-2010, 07:13 PM
looks like a peacock to me

Yes it sure looks like the pic. Are the aquarium fish ?

viperman100
06-26-2010, 08:17 PM
Yes, its an aquarium fish, African cichlid, they breed like crazy and in most any conditions, hope this was a solo release.

DEADROOTS
06-26-2010, 10:29 PM
peacock 100%. A nice one too.

teejay
06-27-2010, 11:02 AM
Well another day at the lake , caught some scattered holds of Red Ear and Bluegills all on my hand tied mini green wooly bugger.

What kind of line and leader were you using?

Natural Lefty
06-27-2010, 02:36 PM
That fish the other people caught definitely appears to be a Cichlid of some sort, and a really pretty one at that. I used to have lots of Cichlid varieties in my aquariums, but I don't recall seeing any like that before. I doubt it's a Peacock Bass; they have a spotted or striped appearance, grow large, are streamlined like Bass, and have a big mouth since they are predators. It doesn't look like an "African Cichlid", either. They are skinnier in shape. It might be a really colorful species of Tilapia, though. (They are also from Africa, but everybody calls them Tilapia.) There are over 100 species of Tilapia and some are very colorful. In any case, it is probably a good thing the critter was taken home to an aquarium. It probably would die of cold in the winter, anyway. Perhaps someone with more up to date knowledge of Cichlids can give a positive ID.

Airona124
06-27-2010, 04:58 PM
peacock cichlid not peacock bass peacock cichlids are from lake Malawi ive owened atleast 20 of them colors also tend to change due to stress other then that a pretty fish

african cichlids are a from a different lake but people tend to mix them which each other not a big problem as long as theres space
check this out too

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/peacocks.php
i could be wrong

Ifishtoolittle
06-27-2010, 11:55 PM
Hmmm a Malawi Peacock would be a lot more fun to catch than a Bluegill.

Natural Lefty
06-30-2010, 11:03 AM
Airona 124, I think you are correct. It looks like a Peacock Cichlid from Lake Malawi, but not a Peacock "Bass." The Peacock Cichlids look different from the "African Cichlids" I used to have that were species native to Lake Tanganyika.

VIVID_FLY
07-01-2010, 05:48 PM
i use 5wt and i make furled leaders using 6lb trilene and 2lb izorline ....then add 5x or 6x tippet

all Loop to Loop connections