PDA

View Full Version : first time hitting ''catalina'' on my 17' carolina skiff any tippppsss.....help...:E

FLYFISHING MD
06-24-2010, 06:07 PM
first time hitting ''catalina'' on my 17' carolina skiff any tippppsss.....help...:EyePop:

Nessie Hunter
06-24-2010, 08:02 PM
Tips;

Ya make sure and wear your life jackets while traveling to & Fro...
That Skiff doesnt have much freeboard, (pretty much a Boston Whaler clone) wont take much to swamp it.

Be careful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fishbones
06-24-2010, 08:19 PM
let all your family members know you are going so they dont get worried, and have fun
i would head to the back side, flyline or 1/2oz sliding sinker for the yellows and seabass,
sardines in the kelp for calicos, squid strips for sheephead & whitefish,,,good luck.

DockRat
06-24-2010, 09:26 PM
Boating or fishing tips ?
Marine radio with a 8' + antenna.
Avoid handhelds. Solo or one extra person, don't overload and try 3 or more.
DR

GeordyBass
06-25-2010, 12:20 AM
Yeah have at least 2 or 3 handheld gps units.... mark your launch point, take lots and lots of water. a lot of food, especially canned and dry stuff the more the better just in case, 1st aid kit, marine radio like DR said, take a lot of fuel too!!! 3-4 batteries...

DockRat
06-26-2010, 06:27 AM
Yeah have at least 2 or 3 handheld gps units.... mark your launch point, take lots and lots of water. a lot of food, especially canned and dry stuff the more the better just in case, 1st aid kit, .

17' Carolina with lots and lots of water ? No Comprende Geordy ?

On a small boat my main concern is beer. Freeze 1/2 gal water bottles for ice to keep the beer cold.
DR

Kevman
07-02-2010, 11:31 AM
17' Carolina with lots and lots of water ? No Comprende Geordy ?

On a small boat my main concern is beer. Freeze 1/2 gal water bottles for ice to keep the beer cold.
DR

Just saw this. GENIUS! If you get stuck and run out of beer, you still have plenty of water (melted ice in bottles) to drink. I wonder if you could also freeze some ceviche de camaron for emergency food? Would also help keep the beer cold. Tostadas are light and don't take up much space on the boat. LOL

sansou
07-02-2010, 01:48 PM
#1 thing I would be looking for: a ditch bag and a strobe on a D ring on the outside of your life vest. Too much traffic at night around Catalina, people have been chopped up asleep while waiting to be rescued.