PDA

View Full Version : fish jumping in santa ana river?

candyman
06-24-2010, 11:29 AM
I was fishing with some friends by brookhurst and pch where the santa ana river mouth is, and I would see fish about a foot long silver jumping around. I never really got a good look at what they were but some people say it might be mullets... but do mullets jump? If anyone knows what these fish are please let me know.

Fishbones
06-24-2010, 11:48 AM
yup, there mullets.,.,.you can catch them on peas or moss

smokehound
06-24-2010, 04:02 PM
In addition to mullets, during a really good high-tide, croaker and shiner surfperch also venture in there.

smokehound
06-24-2010, 09:39 PM
Ive had fun with mullet. On Via Lido in Newport, i catch alot of em on accident while targetting spotfins and corbina.

Very powerful fish.

DockRat
06-24-2010, 09:57 PM
You can jump in and catch them like this guy. :ROFL:
Must see video ! Check the saftey line :ROFL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duCeoAmXxXE&feature=related

candyman
06-25-2010, 10:28 AM
Lol well I rarely eat the fish that come out of the coast, but I believe they would be fun to catch on light line

Cangler
06-25-2010, 10:55 AM
Bread flake , light tackle and hang on for dear life !

elevated
06-26-2010, 04:14 PM
holy crap I thought I saw a mullet in NPH last week but for some reason told myself there weren't mullet in ca. lol. anyway ppl in HI used to catch um on light tackle and bread or seaweed for bait, pretty sure we don't have the same seaweed here in so-cal. Mullet are prized for food in HI, is that the same here?

blackberg
06-26-2010, 05:15 PM
saw tons of them in NPh once
-bb

candyman
06-26-2010, 05:40 PM
holy crap I thought I saw a mullet in NPH last week but for some reason told myself there weren't mullet in ca. lol. anyway ppl in HI used to catch um on light tackle and bread or seaweed for bait, pretty sure we don't have the same seaweed here in so-cal. Mullet are prized for food in HI, is that the same here?

I dont believe they are since we never see reports or actually I've never seen someone targeting them... but they look like fun to catch

Phanatic
06-26-2010, 08:49 PM
They're everywhere. Everytime I go to NPH for the most part I see at least a couple jump around.

One time I saw this gentleman throw a load of catfood and they went nuts. I literally saw at least a hundred mullet flap out of the water in minutes yet when i spent days trying to nail the spotties there i didn't get a single nibble at all. But I did manage to catch a 10lb shark there.

Sometimes you never know what you'll find in one small body of water. You may think it might be dead of one particular specie but there might in fact be a boat load of another type.

Swank909
06-28-2010, 12:05 AM
just to repeat what everyone else has said, Yea its mullet. You'll find them all over the harbor really, you wont really ever catch one while targeting other species in the harbor though, unless you snag one accidently.