PDA

View Full Version : There's Something in the Water

Mr Jaws and Catfish
06-24-2010, 10:18 AM
went fishing at the river and this is what happened to my bluegill. i've never seen anything like this before. my pole took three really hard intermittent whacks and when i checked it a few minutes later this is what was left. just crazy.

this same scenario also happened about 3 times during the night, but the bait was ripped clean off the hook. i'm guessing a turtle with a huge mouth. but this is the spot where some locals think a big python is on the loose. and this also shows you that what's ever in the water doesn't always take bait head first.

i also caught two small 4 pounders this night and they both consumed HUGE BAITS, including a big bullhead. i couldn't believe it. the bullhead and bluegill were a third of the size of the flatties and much bigger than their tiny mouthes. i now realize that a 50+ flattie can easily suck down a 5 to 10 pound carp.

Fishbones
06-24-2010, 10:42 AM
Looks like a snake head bite, there known for there hard thrashing ripping bites.

seal
06-24-2010, 11:31 AM
I was out at Mead last week and we found a good size snapping turtle dead on the shoreline. Turtle could have been the culprit.

candyman
06-24-2010, 02:53 PM
have snakehead ever been found in that river?

scca
06-24-2010, 03:09 PM
have snakehead ever been found in that river?
NO snakeheads out here yet !! Looks alike a turtle. I have pulled in a few baits that have ripped up like that. It happens alot if your fishing dead water or slow flowing backwaters. I usually will move out when that happens.Thanks for sharing. Keith

bluehunter
06-24-2010, 06:08 PM
There are some snakeheads out in the Colrado Rivers - quick research showed this

"This species has already invaded the Colorado River near Yuma and efforts are underway to try and eradicate it. ... The northern snakehead also has a wide temperature tolerance. ..."

However Turtles will hit bait like that so I would say turtle bite as well. They were very prevalent last weekend with anglers on the main river and canal and drains.

madwire3
06-24-2010, 06:17 PM
definately not a python, they dont bite off peices, the only way to break off a peice is for them to wind their body around the rest of the prey and crank til it breaks apart.. couldnt do that without pulling the point of ur hook against the skin, so no way it was a python,, take some smaller bluegills out there lets see what did it :)

Mr Jaws and Catfish
06-24-2010, 08:34 PM
the location i was fishing was the palo verde outflow which has a strong and consistent current. if you stand in the water deeper than your waste it takes some effort to keep yourself from being brought down river.

we fished small tilapia and goldfish throughout the night, but they were getting rip from the hooks. so we went big baits

it definitely was not a python, but it's funny to think there might be one roaming this spot.

likely a big turtle

on a side note, we were confronted by a bunch of angry donkeys in the middle of the night. it seemed like they weren't too happy with us being in their watering hole

bluehunter
06-24-2010, 08:43 PM
Turtles was really bad their last weekend in Palo Verde. I ran into some on the main river as well in moderate current. Many anglers complained of them. I hate it when they show up they seems to always mess with your bait - especially the smaller baits like goldfish and Tilapia. When that happens a few times the spot may be abundant with them and moving may be the best thing to do. Or maybe hooking that one bastard and yanking him out of the way if he is in one area you are casting. Some of them turtles are big - very big.

As far as a python - I hope I do not cross that spot. I got my fix of snakes already this year on da water. However it happens every year that I see them - but a python may keep me away from that area for a while.

fullstringer
06-24-2010, 09:14 PM
had the same thing happen last weekend,moved after about an hour

Joe

scca
06-25-2010, 11:11 AM
the location i was fishing was the palo verde outflow which has a strong and consistent current. if you stand in the water deeper than your waste it takes some effort to keep yourself from being brought down river.

we fished small tilapia and goldfish throughout the night, but they were getting rip from the hooks. so we went big baits

it definitely was not a python, but it's funny to think there might be one roaming this spot.

likely a big turtle

on a side note, we were confronted by a bunch of angry donkeys in the middle of the night. it seemed like they weren't too happy with us being in their watering hole

That area has alot of turtles. Im pretty sure thats what it was. See ya soon Jaws !! We are heading back out that way.. to Slay !!

DockRat
06-28-2010, 06:39 AM
Call Jeremy Wade :ROFL:

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd39/stressmaster5000/Monster%20Fish/jeremy-wade.jpg

DR

Carpholeo
06-29-2010, 10:37 AM
it was a beaver

smokehound
06-29-2010, 05:49 PM
definitely a snakehead bite. Turtles have a more angled bite, with a much cleaner cut.

The good news is they have massive flatties to deal with =P

Mr Jaws and Catfish
06-30-2010, 10:09 PM
it was too early for beaver. this happened before 9 PM. the beavers don't come out at this spot until about 2 or 3 AM.

gavin310
07-09-2010, 09:32 PM
I really hope it wasn't a snakehead bite... i do not want to encounter those things. saw a tv show on them and they're no good...