PDA

View Full Version : Pier Fishing Tonight, Any Advice?

Seņor.Chilax
06-24-2010, 09:43 AM
I was thinking of going fishing tonight for some mac. Wondering if I should go to Huntington Pier or Newport. Any suggestions?

TaperSteve
06-24-2010, 10:02 AM
Def go to Balboa Pier its right next to Newport Pier. Less crowded, lots of metered parking, they have a Ruby's Diner at the end of the pier. Ive caught 20-30 macs in 2 hours everytime ive gone this month. If its slow for whatever reason you can always make the 5 min drive over to Newport Pier. PM if you have any questions.

TaperSteve

Seņor.Chilax
06-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Thank you my friend. PM sent.

smokehound
06-24-2010, 04:06 PM
Balboa is pretty good for the Scorpionfish.

Seņor.Chilax
06-25-2010, 09:54 AM
I ended up going to Balboa with my girlfriend, her niece and nephew. I was going to take a hoop net with a rope just in case I got "The Big One" and my lady's nephew asked if we can throw it in for some crab, I had some bait in the freezer so I decided to go with a hoop net I already had rigged. We got there around 7pm. I sit and bait with some squid on one rod and I hook up my light rod with a Sabiki rig. About an hour in, I hook up to a short Sculpin on 4lb line. I get it up to the pier and I can't see the hook so I snipped the line, wished him the best and back in the water it went. About half an hour later, I pulled up my hoop net and I saw something... What? Could it be? Yes, my first crab. I get it up to the pier, bust out my measuring device... LEGAL! After that, nothing for me. People were catching further down the pier but it was shoulder to shoulder back there, I didn't want to intrude. Around 9.40 we started to clean up and back to the house. It was a good night.

TaperSteve
06-25-2010, 10:19 AM
W0W, I know you were going for macs but nice job on the crab and sculpin! If you still want to go for macs maybe we can go sometime next week. Hit me up if you want to go, maybe we can even do a ninja run?

TS

Seņor.Chilax
06-25-2010, 03:24 PM
I'm down! I was thinking of hitting Newport pier next week, so I'll hit you up for sure. Thanks for the advice.

smokehound
06-25-2010, 04:03 PM
newport is actually a pretty good pier. Try to hit the pier up during a good high tide. the rocks near the lifeguard center attract all sorts of fish. especially spotfins and corbina.

Seņor.Chilax
06-28-2010, 10:34 AM
Thanks Smokehound. I'll hit up Newport pier this Thursday. Let you know how it went.