PDA

View Full Version : MDR 7/20

plumbertom
07-20-2007, 09:40 AM
Yesterday Marina Del Rey
Went out on Santa Monica Bay yesterday with Bay Runner Ray for a few hours of floating around and soaking bait.
We ran out to one of the out flow pipes and fished along it to start the day. the Short trip boats from Redondo and MDR were fishing the same area but they seemed to be doing the same thing that we were with the same result.
after trying a couple of the rock piles that have been placed for reefs in that vast sand expanse we managed to scrape one kelp bass about 14" off of them.
I had checked the water temp. charts the day before and saw that a bunch of cold water had moved in on Tuesday but we were hopping that the water had warmed back up. No such luck so the surface bite was shut down and the barracudas had moved with the warm water. Combine that with the fact that fishing Santa Monica Bay is like hunting rabbits in the sand dunes, there may be a bush here and there but finding the one with rabbits in it is a matter of luck.
So our total count for yesterday was one bass and some fresh sardines to freeze for bait.

ThanksKK
07-20-2007, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the news. I learned my lesson last week when I fished the entire Catalina Island and only had one keeper sand bass. I'm gonna wait a good week or two before the next trip.