PDA

View Full Version : full day catalina, pursuit 06-23

E.A.R.G.
06-23-2010, 09:16 PM
The overnighter I was planning to go on on the agressor got canceled due to boat problems, called 22nd street to see how many reserved for their Wednesday special all day to catalina, they said 80! I was thinking HECK NO, but the guy said he only expected about 45 to show up. So I reserved a spot, planning to get there super early to get a good spot on the boat.

Got there at 3:45 A.M (boat departs at 6) and was 5th in line. Ticket booth opened at 5 am and got my pick of spot, asked for a corner, dude asked me which one and I said, "I don't care... starboard"

Boy was I glad I got that side. Captain put me in front of a kelp patty on six out of seven stops.
Boat ended up loading up 74 people on a full day to Catalina. We were out on our way at 6 A.M, the crew had picked up bait at 4:30 a.m. so that we didn't have to wait for them to buy it. MADD PROPS!

Headed to catalina with a super large group. Most were awesome and fun to chill with. Some were just downright D-bags. (what can you expect on a wednesday 45 dollar special) As I was fishing my corner, I saw coca cola cans float by, coors cans. People popping off their corona tops in the ocean. I saw two people throw an 8 and a 10 inch calico bass in their gunny sacks. Yes I did snitch on them to the deckhands, I told them both first that they were short, they said "we're poor, we need this fish" Didn't want the deckhands potentially getting in a ton of trouble so I told them and they went over and tossed the shorts over. But enough of that... OFF TO THE FISHING!!

First stop, hit a school of bonito that stuck around for about 15 minutes. Saw about 15 come over the rails. I managed a nice 16 inch calico.

2nd stop, bonito went wide on a pretty steady bite. About 1 bonito tossed over the rails every 3 or so minutes for a good hour. First 15 minutes I was tossing a swimmy, got a few short calicos and another legal at 15 inches. I couldn't for the life of me buy a bite on the bone heads. Switched to live bait fly line. STILL NO BITES! I was on 30 lb on my avet, switched over to my bass rod, fly lined a dine on 12 lb test and BAM fish on. one after another after another. Ended up limiting out and then some in about a 20 minute span. BLAST on lighter tackle. Broke off on a few too trying to horse them away from 15 lines down the rail. Consensus says that they were in fact, quite line shy today!

Sea lion came in and wrecked havoc, had to move.
Unfortunately the sea lion decided to follow us every freaking which way we went and shut down fishing a couple minutes after every spot. It was 1s and 2s for the next 4 or so spots. We'd pull up, fast hook ups on bonito/calico and then the sea lion moved in and we'd have to move.

On the bright side, saw some bald eagles come diving down on calicos that were thrown back. EPIC!! there were 2, and we saw them race side by side for them. awesome sight!!!

Jackpot was over 200 bucks I heard, and went to a slightly larger class bonehead. Fish counts stated

74 anglers. 10 Ocean Whitefish, 1 California Scorpionfish, 11 Halfmoon, 100 Pacific Mackerel, 68 Kelp Bass, 172 Pacific Bonito, 4 California Sheephead, 27 Rockfish

I don't know where they get these numbers sometimes. didn't see a single halfmoon, sheephead, or rockfish come up at all.

on a side note. there were these two asian fellows. didn't speak a lick of english. Their equipment was solid good, talking g-loomis and trinidads etc. they were the biggest jackasses on the entire boat. showed up late so they got a crappy spot on the side of the boat. but that didn't stop them from trying to fish the kelp patties by crossing ALL of our lines ALL the time. They would KEEP casting without looking back and the deck hands were giving them HELL for it. They hit one guy in the face with a dine, they smacked some other guy in the jacket, and he knocked off someones hat in the ocean with a cast! Luckily the guy was cool about it, but I would have lost it. Deckhands were constantly chewing them up, but they would keep doing. SUPER frustrating.

was going to use the bonito for bait, but deckies convinced me they were good eating. so I got some filleted, fried it up with some herbs and seasoning... pretty darnn good! Didn't taste like mackerel like I thought it would!

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=23606
my sack after stop 2!

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=23603
fish being cleaned. sorry my digital died on me. back to camera phone

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=23605
bye bye catalina. till next week!

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=23604
bonito in rosemary + thyme with a dash of season salt and lemon.

tight lines

BrandonFish
06-23-2010, 10:57 PM
Sweet! glad you had a good day of fishing:Cool: pretty cool of them to get the bait b4 hand. damn people like that.,.,., if they want a good spot then they should get there earlier they probly allways do that act like they dont understand whats going on but when they get thrown in the water oh im sure theyll be gttn up at 1am to get there spots that they want :LOL:

while i was reading your report i see this big water bug
http://www.suburbanexterminating.com/UserFiles/Image/Water%20Bug.jpg

and the fight was on! grabbed my flash light my wepon of mass destruction! so i got him BAM! smashed half his body and thought the fight was over! No that mother trucker ran while his body held by his guts and guts only it went under the cabnet i was like ****! but 1 minute later while i hid from him he comes back out and BAM cut his head off victory was mine :Twisted: :Twisted:

sawoobley
06-24-2010, 06:51 AM
OK that was random. :LOL:

fishinone
06-24-2010, 10:00 AM
Great Report EARG.

Those Bonito are lots of fun but I don't really like to eat them.

JapanRon
06-24-2010, 05:32 PM
Hi EyeAmRealGhetto,

Good job on the fishys. Yep ..... $45 bucks and out comes the garbage and ....... of course plenty of good guys too !! I had one donkey yesterday that was still casting his jig on his spinner rig turned upside down next to me with this oversized piece of junk for a lure on maybe 60lb test line pull all the garbage one sees on the moo-moos !! He was casting maybe two to three casts a minute .... no kidding. Greedy fool musta cast hundreds of times for not much to show for it ..... thank goodness.

Yesterdays story ...... We were all crowded around the stern for the jackpot and this moron was still casting dangling his jig 2 feet above 5 or 6 guys waiting for the JP and were involved in the jackpot and never stopped until the half-wit got an idea he might have a fish for contention in the JP. He located a fish (I think he picked up one of my buddies right at his feet) and was holding it out as if he wanted it weighted. I think he just found a way to rip off a fish as ...... my buddy was distracted with the weigh-off !! Are two guys (M&M) reading this ?? I hope so !!

To bad he wasn't intelligent enough to undersand the dark-humor I was giving him doses of on the quarter-hour !!

So much for that ..... enjoy the light day ..... that boat will take at least 90 !!

JapanRon

boxl0bster
06-25-2010, 01:16 AM
good job on the fish! i like bonito its pretty good, kind of like tuna i think. thanks for the pics and report!

Tunaslam
06-25-2010, 09:41 AM
Yum Yum! Good catch!

Cory

ezcompany
06-25-2010, 10:59 AM
75 guys... I don't think I could have dealt with that on a full day @_@ props to you sir

FishinElectrician
06-26-2010, 07:37 PM
Some of those Oriental guys can be real idiots... But trust me, when their $500 setups start getting yanked out of their hands and a when they recieve a loud scolding, they listen up real quick!!! I hate to say it, but alot of those guys that frequent the Pursuit belong to some so called "California Korean Fishing Club"... A couple of those guys are pretty cool, but for the most part, theyre a bunch of brainless embicils...

E.A.R.G.
06-26-2010, 09:39 PM
Sweet! glad you had a good day of fishing:Cool: pretty cool of them to get the bait b4 hand. damn people like that.,.,., if they want a good spot then they should get there earlier they probly allways do that act like they dont understand whats going on but when they get thrown in the water oh im sure theyll be gttn up at 1am to get there spots that they want :LOL:

while i was reading your report i see this big water bug
http://www.suburbanexterminating.com/UserFiles/Image/Water%20Bug.jpg

and the fight was on! grabbed my flash light my wepon of mass destruction! so i got him BAM! smashed half his body and thought the fight was over! No that mother trucker ran while his body held by his guts and guts only it went under the cabnet i was like ****! but 1 minute later while i hid from him he comes back out and BAM cut his head off victory was mine :Twisted: :Twisted:

SICKKKK DUUUDE ah hahah duuuude you just happened to have stumbled across my one and only weakness. that picture made me shiver

Great Report EARG.

Those Bonito are lots of fun but I don't really like to eat them.

They weren't as bad as I thought they would be! Quite good actually if you bleed them right... but noooothing compared to striper haha

Hi EyeAmRealGhetto,

Good job on the fishys. Yep ..... $45 bucks and out comes the garbage and ....... of course plenty of good guys too !! I had one donkey yesterday that was still casting his jig on his spinner rig turned upside down next to me with this oversized piece of junk for a lure on maybe 60lb test line pull all the garbage one sees on the moo-moos !! He was casting maybe two to three casts a minute .... no kidding. Greedy fool musta cast hundreds of times for not much to show for it ..... thank goodness.

Yesterdays story ...... We were all crowded around the stern for the jackpot and this moron was still casting dangling his jig 2 feet above 5 or 6 guys waiting for the JP and were involved in the jackpot and never stopped until the half-wit got an idea he might have a fish for contention in the JP. He located a fish (I think he picked up one of my buddies right at his feet) and was holding it out as if he wanted it weighted. I think he just found a way to rip off a fish as ...... my buddy was distracted with the weigh-off !! Are two guys (M&M) reading this ?? I hope so !!

To bad he wasn't intelligent enough to undersand the dark-humor I was giving him doses of on the quarter-hour !!

So much for that ..... enjoy the light day ..... that boat will take at least 90 !!

JapanRon

Thanks JRon,
Hey I saw some "adopt a freeway - knights of columbus" on the road to lake sabrina today. Is that you guys?

murrieta angler
06-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Hey Eric!
I don't know how this report slipped past me. Nice Bonita and even nicer looking cooked!
Thanks for the report and pics,
Robert

FISHINGBEE
06-27-2010, 08:37 PM
I hate water bugs. Great job on the bonies.

FISHINGBEE