PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for the Castaic lagoon please?

fishfish1
06-23-2010, 12:48 PM
I don't expect you guys to give me exact locations but some general areas maybe and some tips for what works? What about crappie? You can PM me if you want.

xjdesertfox
06-23-2010, 03:17 PM
I was in the same boat as you not too long ago, i didnt know how to catch at castaic lagoon at all.

I will pass on the information which was passed to me by more experienced people who have fished the lake.

4-6lbs test line, preferribly flouro (I use 10lbs braid main line)
Dropshot rig, 3/16oz-1/4oz sinkers
Roboworms, colors are finicky depends on whats going on in the lake, Margarita mutilator, morning dawn, cinnamon, oxblood w/red flake. Then once theres anabundance of shad in the lake (could be now, i havnt been in awhile) use prism shad and sxe shad colors.

I also dropshot bass trix flash trix in baby bass.

in a float tube i see a ton of guys hit the eastern shoreline where all the reeds are, but i personally like the the area by the water inlet, but i use a bass boat and not a float tube and dont know how far of a trek that might be for you.

Goodluck! Keep C&Ring and tight lines!

fishfish1
06-23-2010, 03:42 PM
I was in the same boat as you not too long ago, i didnt know how to catch at castaic lagoon at all.

I will pass on the information which was passed to me by more experienced people who have fished the lake.

4-6lbs test line, preferribly flouro (I use 10lbs braid main line)
Dropshot rig, 3/16oz-1/4oz sinkers
Roboworms, colors are finicky depends on whats going on in the lake, Margarita mutilator, morning dawn, cinnamon, oxblood w/red flake. Then once theres anabundance of shad in the lake (could be now, i havnt been in awhile) use prism shad and sxe shad colors.

I also dropshot bass trix flash trix in baby bass.

in a float tube i see a ton of guys hit the eastern shoreline where all the reeds are, but i personally like the the area by the water inlet, but i use a bass boat and not a float tube and dont know how far of a trek that might be for you.

Goodluck! Keep C&Ring and tight lines!

Thanks so much man. I'll probably stick to the reed area/eastern shoreline since like you said the inlet may be too far for me.

If I like it I might look into getting a casting rig setup.

For baitcasting people use like 10lb test and higher lines and all that right?

xjdesertfox
06-23-2010, 04:34 PM
yea, if youre going to fish strictly castaic i dont recommend it though, castaic is highly pressured and light line is a must. i have a bass casting setup but i dont even take it out at castaic, dropshotting kills em!

if you decide you want to start more techniques, depending on the time of day, heddon spooks, weightless senkos, and paddle tail swimbaits (yum money minnows) have worked for me and my buddies as well.

tpfishnfool
06-27-2010, 08:12 AM
Make sure you release all diapers that you hook into !!

fishfish1
06-27-2010, 06:25 PM
Make sure you release all diapers that you hook into !!

What do you mean?

Ray Lopez
07-02-2010, 03:46 PM
All i have to say is:

Flylined 5" senkos on a 3/0 g-lock hook. Work it in the weeds on the north end of the lake. You will bang out some bass no problem.