PDA

View Full Version : $1-million prize is the one that got away

Techtito
06-23-2010, 09:35 AM
If a person gets caught fishing without a license, in most cases, it results in a fine of perhaps a few hundred dollars.

For those aboard Citation, however, the infraction represents a setback of nearly $1 million.

The vessel's anglers had been participating in the 52nd annual Big Rock Blue Marlin Tournament, June 11-19 off North Carolina. Andy Thomossan landed what was by far the biggest fish: an 883-pound marlin, a tournament record.

The team on Saturday was declared winner of the prestigious competition, and there was plenty of celebration.

However, there also was a post-event lie-detector test, after which it was revealed that one of the hired crew did not possess a valid fishing license, available in North Carolina for only $15, or $30 for non-residents.

That was a violation of tournament rules and after lengthy deliberation, according to Evans Kistler of the Carteret County News-Times, tournament officials late Tuesday disqualified the catch and and denied the Citation team the winning purse.

End of celebration.

"No record. No money. No fish. No nothing. Yep, it's a nice ending to the story isn't it?" Thomossan told the Jacksonville Daily News. "He failed to get a fishing license, but we didn't know it. He told us he had it. He didn't. So you take a man at his word, you know?"

That man is Peter Wann. According to the state's fisheries division, he went out and bought a license after the catch of the monster marlin, bringing more shame to his team. He'll be fined $35 and ordered to pay court costs totaling $125.

The new winners are those who fished aboard the vessel Carnivore and caught the second-largest marlin, weighing 528.3 pounds. They net a grand total of $999,453.

Michael Topp, one of Citation's owners, figured the tournament board would not rule in Citation's favor.

"I think the Big Rock committee is doing what they have to do," he said. "I understand that. I'm a retired colonel. I know about rules."

Credit: Evans Kistler / Carteret County News-Times

Hoshnasi
06-23-2010, 09:48 AM
WOW, I never really understood all those stories from fishermen saying "Oh man, I got a HUGE fine for not having my license". Why don't people just buy the damn license and move on!

smokehound
06-23-2010, 04:05 PM
The license is expensive. Some people just cant afford it and would rather risk a fine they'll never pay. :LOL:

It is ridiculous how expensive it got now.. with the second-rod-stamp, and the ocean enhancement stamp, thats a total of like.. 75 bucks.

Im gonna move... i really love the fishing here, but california is a piece of crap.

DockRat
06-23-2010, 05:39 PM
Andy Thomossan landed what was by far the biggest fish: an 883-pound marlin, a tournament record.

It's the Captains or Andy's fault.

Big time tournament they should have had a check list for the crew.

It was revealed that one of the hired crew did not possess a valid fishing license,

Not assume some hired crew member has his papers in order.

Do you think Andy will hire this guy next year ? http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q193/ejubin/loser-animation-animated-loser-smil.gif
DR

sawoobley
06-23-2010, 08:33 PM
At first it seems unfair but then I checked out the website. The rules are easily found and easy to read. It clearly states that the captain and all the deckhands have to be properly licensed and any deviation from the rules will result in disqualification. It sucks badly, but if you are going for such a huge prize then every person involved has to make sure everything is in order in case they happen to win. Otherwise you can just assume that everyone will do what is required. Oh wait, that did not work. A lesson to be learned! OUCH! That must have been a high high and a low low.:EyePop:

We won! Yeahhhh! Oh no, we got disqualified :EyePop: :Bug Eyes:
Nooooooooooooooo! Whyyyy Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:Bawling: :Explode: :Angry: :Death2Above: :Head Bang:

a321eric
06-23-2010, 08:45 PM
thats what he gets. sad to say but it is seriously a $15 dollar license. just get the license. i know the whole time he was shakin in his boots becuase he knew he didnt have a license. it makes me so mad when people fish without a license and they keep undersize fish or catch more than their limit.

one time i was fishing and this made me so mad. this guy was fishing next to me at silverwood and i caught a large mouth bass. i checked the fish out and then threw it back in water to be caught another day. then this guy freaks out and starts calling me names for throwing the fish back instead of giving it to him. that aggravates me more than anything

smokehound
06-23-2010, 08:52 PM
Lake-lice suck.