PDA

View Full Version : Crowley/Intake II 6/20 & 6/21

makokid
06-22-2010, 11:17 AM
My son and I fished Lake Crowley (sometimes bay) 6/20 am for limits of perch on grasshopper trout traps right outside the grass line. We were all alone and the fishing was epic. Most of the perch were big and fat. We then drove up to Intake II for some incredible late afternoon trout fishing. I stuck with the mini jigs but my son went with a elk hare/zebra midge on a dropper loop. I ended up with about 15 trout in 2 hours and my son easily doubled that on the flies. Only one fish on the elk hare as they wanted the midge. When the sun went behind the mountains, the bite was outstanding for another 1/2 hour.

We heard of a good midge bite at Sandy Point so we fished Crowley 6/21 am. The bite never materialized although there was a guide boat that I saw catch several rainbows including a 27" on the midge. I ended up with 3 trout and my son was blanked. The guide boat (Sierra Drifters) was VERY courteous and was even offering advice to the rest of the fleet. Very professional. Even though the catching was tough, my son and I still had a great time fishing. Crowley was full of algae and looks like it may turn over soon.

All fishing was done in float tubes. Weather was fantastic with little wind both days. All fish were released, although if we could have figured out a way to cook the perch in our hotel room we would have!

We are headed back up to Bishop this weekend for a 100 mile horse drive up to June Lake. If we get a chance to fish I will write a report.

Sierra_Smitty
06-22-2010, 11:47 AM
My son and I fished Lake Crowley (sometimes bay) 6/20 am for limits of perch on grasshopper trout traps right outside the grass line. We were all alone and the fishing was epic. Most of the perch were big and fat. We then drove up to Intake II for some incredible late afternoon trout fishing. I stuck with the mini jigs but my son went with a elk hare/zebra midge on a dropper loop. I ended up with about 15 trout in 2 hours and my son easily doubled that on the flies. Only one fish on the elk hare as they wanted the midge. When the sun went behind the mountains, the bite was outstanding for another 1/2 hour.

We heard of a good midge bite at Sandy Point so we fished Crowley 6/21 am. The bite never materialized although there was a guide boat that I saw catch several rainbows including a 27" on the midge. I ended up with 3 trout and my son was blanked. The guide boat (Sierra Drifters) was VERY courteous and was even offering advice to the rest of the fleet. Very professional. Even though the catching was tough, my son and I still had a great time fishing. Crowley was full of algae and looks like it may turn over soon.

All fishing was done in float tubes. Weather was fantastic with little wind both days. All fish were released, although if we could have figured out a way to cook the perch in our hotel room we would have!

We are headed back up to Bishop this weekend for a 100 mile horse drive up to June Lake. If we get a chance to fish I will write a report.

Nice report. I assume you're doing the horse drive with Frontier pack train? If so, tell Dave Dunell that Smitty says hi.

makokid
06-23-2010, 09:53 AM
This will be our third year with Dave. It's kinda funny because I tell people the trip is like "City Slickers" and Dave is Curly. Lots of laughs and fun for the whole family. We will be back up your way July 3rd for a week. Will be bringing up the trailer and staying with Ron and Donna. Hope Bull and the Chocolate Lakes are full of fish as usual. We plan on stopping by Parchers to pick up your book. I read your Dad's book a couple of years ago and loved every page.