PDA

View Full Version : 2 days, 2 flatties, and a Personal Best

bsp
06-21-2010, 11:38 PM
First off, sorry this report is a bit late. Graduated high school this weekend, and I've got orientation for USC this week, so I've been a bit overwhelmed. Snuck out and did some fishing last week though, and hope to be doing much more now that it's finally summer.

After getting some solid intel, I headed down to a beach and began looking for some decent structure. Worked the beach with the LC for a bit with no hits in the troughs and bowls, but I saw several large corbina working a good trench. Cast to them for nada with the LC and Kroc, but I made a mental note and plan to try for them specifically soon.

Busted out the Zoom White Ice Super Fluke per bones and Wingnut's favorite, and proceeded to nail one short halibut in a deeper trough. At this point I had fished for 1.5 hours and had to be back in time to pick a relative up from the airport, so I bailed.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/ghost2u/CIMG1339.jpg

The next day I had only 2hrs to fish, so I stuck with the dropshot the whole time. The swells were pretty decent but my trough from the day before was still there. Flicked out the dropshot, felt a thump, and set the hook into what turned out to be my PB CA Purple Jellyfish. Yay?

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/ghost2u/CIMG1340.jpg

Worked the trough from a different angle so I could focus on an area a little farther out between two minor, inner sand bars, and was rewarded with another shorty for my efforts.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/ghost2u/CIMG1342.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/ghost2u/CIMG1343.jpg

As I was heading out to leave, I spotted this big moonsnail rolling around in the surf. After snapping a pic, I tossed him into the calmest part of the trough, and hoped he made it back out to deeper waters.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/ghost2u/CIMG1341.jpg

Gear used:

Phenix 706M dropshot rod with Stradic 2500 and 8lb Seaguar InvisX with a Zoom White Ice Super Fluke and a 3/8oz Skinny Bear dropshot weight. Size 2/0 Gamakatsu straight shank worm hook.

Summary, the fish are moving up shallow and are starting to feed aggressively. Both strikes were very fierce and obvious and both shorts inhaled the Fluke.

Go get them!

calico killer kevin
06-22-2010, 12:37 AM
Sweet Marc. Not the best, but better than me. Haven't fished in quite a while. I think I'm gonna try to get in a surf session in the South Bay this Friday. Again, congrats on USC.

DockRat
06-22-2010, 07:06 AM
Cool Trunks. Nice butt too.

(below):LOL:

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x252/bgrasso/IMG_0379.jpgDR

murrieta angler
06-22-2010, 10:10 AM
Nice job with the short hali's.
Congrats on getting into USC....if you like that school...lol...UCLA!
Robert

Airona124
06-22-2010, 05:23 PM
nice job out there ive gotten stung by one of those jellys before after i realized alot were showing up on shore it all made since lol

flyngby
06-22-2010, 07:55 PM
Marc,

Your title had me thinking you finally got an over 30" Flattie! Congrats on the shorts though!

Was disappointed to see a PB Jelly and Moon Snail!

My wife is a USC phanatic but I remain neutral.

Steve

Fishbones
06-22-2010, 08:31 PM
congrats on the mid grad slay, thanks for sharing

skunkmaster
06-22-2010, 08:37 PM
Nice report bsp! How do you like that Phenix stick?

BrandonFish
06-23-2010, 03:31 AM
nice slay on the halis :Cool:

bsp
06-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Sweet Marc. Not the best, but better than me. Haven't fished in quite a while. I think I'm gonna try to get in a surf session in the South Bay this Friday. Again, congrats on USC.

Thanks Kevin! You'll get out there and hit it up soon. These were only my 3rd and 4th trips of the year, and my first halibut of the year. The waves have been great lately. Don't surf too much myself, but I've got a few friendds that do and they've been having a great time. Thanks about USC too.

Cool Trunks. Nice butt too.

(below):LOL:

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x252/bgrasso/IMG_0379.jpgDR

I love my Primo Billabong boardshorts. When I visited my uncle on Oahu he gave them to me since he said I needed something that no surf shop here in CA would have.

Nice job with the short hali's.
Congrats on getting into USC....if you like that school...lol...UCLA!
Robert

I'd prefer it if you made no comments about that school in Westwood Robert... :LOL: One of my best friends is going there, so I really don't hate it. The rivalry is still fun though.

nice job out there ive gotten stung by one of those jellys before after i realized alot were showing up on shore it all made since lol

Thanks man, how'd your own hali hunting trip go? The jellyfish do suck and I get stung typically two or three times a summer. Painful, but at least these guys can't kill you.

Marc,

Your title had me thinking you finally got an over 30" Flattie! Congrats on the shorts though!

Was disappointed to see a PB Jelly and Moon Snail!

My wife is a USC phanatic but I remain neutral.

Steve

Steve, sorry I misled you, but I thought it would be good for a few laughs. Believe it or not these are my first halibut for 2010. That 30in is coming, and you''re due for your own soon. We know the spots where the live, and they should be there soon. :Wink: I'll have to talk to Wingnut about brainw... helping you to become a fan. :LOL:

Marc

congrats on the mid grad slay, thanks for sharing

Thanks fishbones, I plan to post up many more.

Nice report bsp! How do you like that Phenix stick?

SM, first off, I'm sponsored by Phenix, so I am a bit biased :LOL:. That said, I bought most of my Phenixs before I was sponsored because I thought they gave me the best performance at the price point. This is one of those, and it has not let me down in the two years I've owned it. Very, very sensitve and it has as enough backbone to pull legals away from boiler rocks and kelp beds. I've fished 20lb braid to a 10lb fluoro topshot on this rod with no issues, but switched to straight fluoro since I hated retying the topshot several times during the trip. It's landed many legal halibut and plenty of shorts, and never let me down. My buddy has hooked a 3ft WSB (saw the fish), and almost beached it before it snapped the line. I truly think these are the best rods out there for the money you spend, especially with the high quality components. No aluminum oxide here!

Please let me know if you've got any more questions, and I'll be happy to help you out in any way I can.

Marc

nice slay on the halis :Cool:

Thanks Brandon!

bones
06-23-2010, 04:34 PM
Good to see ya back out in the crush zone Marc. Saw the title and said ...."Sheet" he found a hot spot and didn't call me ! LOL
Glad you got the shorties on the DS as well.......Always seems to come through during a tough bite. Looks like you were fishing the same spot that we fished together last time.

brycek1984
06-23-2010, 06:53 PM
[QUOTE=DockRat;467235]Cool Trunks. Nice butt too.

ditto, what a sweet report.

Wingnut
06-24-2010, 02:43 AM
Dang Marc... I thought for sure that I was going to see a 29 inch or bigger Flattie. :Envious:
I guess the toe is healed, glad to see you back out there again. :Big Grin: Did Dad come with you? :Wink: Like I said... you're gonna love USC. :Cool:

Nessie Hunter
06-24-2010, 07:37 AM
First of all, A BIG Congrats on the Graduation, Another big Congrats on the upcoming Orientation !!!
Thats the Important stuff, and sounds like you have it handled well young angler!!!

Good day on the beach, your a natural...

bsp
06-26-2010, 10:11 PM
bones, you'd be one of the few guys to know if I found a hot spot! Definitely good to be back fishing, and I'm going to have to spend a bit more time with the dropshot since it pulls through like you said. Can't wait to hit the surf with you again.

bryce, thanks man.

Wingnut, I won't pull that one again. Next time I post up a PB it'll be of a fish. :LOL: The toe is all better albeit a bit odd looking, and yes, Dad was there! Gotta spend some time together before I take off in the fall. Orientation gave me a taste of what USC is like, and it's going to be an awesome 4 years... :Wink:

Nessie, I really appreciate the compliment and congrats! It's been a lot of work getting here, but I finally made it and have a lot of time now to relax. High school was a blast, and college is going to only be better. Definitely looking forward to it. Hopefully I'll put up a few more good beach days in the coming weeks.