PDA

View Full Version : Lake Isabella Jun 18-20

Mojave River Angler
06-21-2010, 02:40 PM
Made a run up to Isabella for the weekend. Took my son Tim (8) and friend Anthony. We got up there late friday and threw liver, clams, and stink bait for cats, but no cigar either night for cats. We were at stine cove the first night and kissack bay the second night. Spent the days fishing from a whitewater raft on the lake in Browns Cove trying to scare up some crappie. Had no luck at all on day one with the usual crappie jig and pellets, so I got set up with minnows on Sunday. That was the only thing that got them excited. We got 13 keepers, a bluegill I threw back, and a little cat that we aslo threw back. Anthony threw the first cast after a move to deeper water and hit the freight train in the head. Whatever it was took his trout roe to the bottom and wrapped around something. Never did get to see it. The drag on the light gear was useless. We did throw trout baits an sun up and sundown. That got us two nice trout to 18oz...both pink meat fish, so maybe alpers, but not the usual brighter coloring of alpers. We also threw some salmon eggs and jigs in the river by the bridge for a couple of hours, but came up short again. The river always does this to me. Some day I'll learn how to fish a river.

Weather: Nice in the morning...then the spring usual...windy through the afternoon and all night.

Got out of the house for the weekend and got some fresh air.

madwire3
06-21-2010, 03:39 PM
sound like ya had a good time even though u it hard at first, thanks for the report

Fishin Magician
06-22-2010, 06:00 AM
I'm glad that the minnows saved the day for you. I hate the wind. Supposed to be good today and tomorrow. I'm hoping to head out later. Stop by next time you are in town and I'll show you the ropes for the river.

Mojave River Angler
06-22-2010, 07:29 AM
The best part of fishing the river there was the enterainment. About 1 in 3 rafts went over at Ewings so we got to watch them swim around and try to collect all their gear. The river is tough for me just like bass fishing. I can do about 50 casts and I'm done, so at that velocity, I get about 30 min of fishing in and my arm starts barking at me. I need to be more creative in finding ways of hanging the bait over the hole so I'm not casting every 30 seconds.

I'll be up there July 16-18 for whitewater and fishing. I'll buzz you when I'm there. After seeing the river on Saturday I've got the Jones for the splash real bad. Next stop...Santa Rosalia

MRA

fishinone
06-22-2010, 09:51 AM
The best part of fishing the river there was the enterainment. About 1 in 3 rafts went over at Ewings so we got to watch them swim around and try to collect all their gear. The river is tough for me just like bass fishing. I can do about 50 casts and I'm done, so at that velocity, I get about 30 min of fishing in and my arm starts barking at me. I need to be more creative in finding ways of hanging the bait over the hole so I'm not casting every 30 seconds.

I'll be up there July 16-18 for whitewater and fishing. I'll buzz you when I'm there. After seeing the river on Saturday I've got the Jones for the splash real bad. Next stop...Santa Rosalia

MRA

Try using a Hot Shot to fish the river. My buddy uses them and says he can work it to most spots across or down stream.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_77794____SearchResults