PDA

View Full Version : Rental boat at Castaic, 6/20

jowo
06-21-2010, 10:03 AM
I checked with Bob at TroutsOnly, but he was booked already, so I decided to go with a couple rentals to take my parents and bro to try out the striper fishing. I've been reading about it for months, but this was my first trip out. Was loaded up with cut frozen 'dines, nightcrawlers, and 4 and 6 pound flouro, and plans were to fish the buoyline.
I started out setting everyone up with the flyline, with no luck at all. Seemed like there was zero action for anyone on the buoyline, so tried along the shore. Difficult to anchor up. I had 100' of line, but the areas where I saw better marks were often in 130 feet of water. The anchor I brought was also too small, so we'd drag.
Finally went back to the buoyline around noon, and there was one boat with these 4 Vietnamese guys who started killing them. I noticed they had sinkers, so we switched over, and started catching a few, casting toward the dam.
We ended up with 6 2-3 pound schoolies between the four of us, with another one that broke off at the boat due to me setting the drag too tight on my mom's rod.
So around 2-ish, this bass boat pulls up next to us and starts fishing. I start chatting, and realize it's Bob from TroutOnly! They'd caught a couple for the day, and he said it was one of the slowest days he could remember, which made me feel a little better. After reading all the reports on this board, I'd been hoping for limits!
But it was a good trip; any trip that isn't a skunk is a good one! Hopefully they'll bite better next time...

fishinone
06-21-2010, 10:21 AM
Congrats on the catching.

If Bob says it's slow, it's slow.

SDDave
06-21-2010, 12:49 PM
I checked with Bob at TroutsOnly, but he was booked already, so I decided to go with a couple rentals to take my parents and bro to try out the striper fishing. I've been reading about it for months, but this was my first trip out. Was loaded up with cut frozen 'dines, nightcrawlers, and 4 and 6 pound flouro, and plans were to fish the buoyline.
I started out setting everyone up with the flyline, with no luck at all. Seemed like there was zero action for anyone on the buoyline, so tried along the shore. Difficult to anchor up. I had 100' of line, but the areas where I saw better marks were often in 130 feet of water. The anchor I brought was also too small, so we'd drag.
Finally went back to the buoyline around noon, and there was one boat with these 4 Vietnamese guys who started killing them. I noticed they had sinkers, so we switched over, and started catching a few, casting toward the dam.
We ended up with 6 2-3 pound schoolies between the four of us, with another one that broke off at the boat due to me setting the drag too tight on my mom's rod.
So around 2-ish, this bass boat pulls up next to us and starts fishing. I start chatting, and realize it's Bob from TroutOnly! They'd caught a couple for the day, and he said it was one of the slowest days he could remember, which made me feel a little better. After reading all the reports on this board, I'd been hoping for limits!
But it was a good trip; any trip that isn't a skunk is a good one! Hopefully they'll bite better next time...

Well you got some good deal, this could be a sign the they are moving out of the deep water bait bite and will be more accessible to the rip bait bite, the shad must be on the move toward the coves, makes sence...I'm thinking of a evening trip to do some recon...

Fishbones
06-22-2010, 07:33 PM
congrats on the catch especially for slow day at castaic, better book up with t/o , he does get bust quick.

MarkyMark
06-23-2010, 03:08 PM
Congrats!!

You did better than I did..skunked!!

MM

BIGBASS MB
06-25-2010, 09:34 PM
Good job on beating the skunk...
Mb