PDA

View Full Version : Malibu Yakkin 6-20 with a PW

midgettosser1
06-20-2010, 11:14 PM
Took the yak out this morning for several hours to see if the calicos were on the chew yet.
Still fairly slow, but the water seems to be steadily warming up, so hopefully it will start to pick up soon enough.

Perfect day out today. Sunny, no wind, but small swells rolling thru throughout the day.

Fished the key lime fishtrap for bass most of the time. Although I did make a few mackerel for leopard shark fishing towards the end of the day (something I like to do when the fishing is slow... kinda nice to have something pull on your line every now and then).

Not a whole lot to report. 2 calicos and 1 sandbass on the shimano clarus/citica 200 DSV w/ 12lb fluoro.

Also managed to jig up a rockfish on the sabiki rig. First time catching anything of that size ont he sabiki.

And I caught my PW (personal worst) calico on the sabiki. I've caught a few babies on there before, but this one took the take.

Finally gave up on throwin plastics and went to try my leopard shark spot (unforunately the only other reel I packed was a corvalus 300 w/ 15lb test). Threw out a mackerel on the steel leader. While I was waiting, I poked around the kelp with my fishtrap rig.... bad call. On my first drop, the shark rig goes bendo, and before I could get my hands on it, the shark breaks off. Reel in the line to find the 15lb all shredded up. Oh well. Tried a couple more mackerel for nothing. Next time I gotta remember to bring a bigger setup.
I've seen 4 footers swimming around that area (as well as hooked one from the shore there a couple of weeks ago on the LC). That spot never fails... unfortunately, wearing the sharks out and getting them to the yak, before they can hit the kelp and break me off, is another story.

All fish CPR'd

elevated
06-21-2010, 12:37 AM
looks like fun! cool report, sorry about the breakoff.

murrieta angler
06-21-2010, 07:11 AM
You weren't kidding about that tiny bass.
Thanks for the report,
Robert

Jackpot Jimmy
06-21-2010, 09:17 AM
Good job out there! That tiny fish looks like a baby johnny bass (olive rockfish) to me, but I could be mistaken...

midgettosser1
06-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Yah, I was thinking that was a possibility as well once I got home and looked at the picture.

JapanRon
06-21-2010, 12:42 PM
Hi midgettosser,

Ha ha ha ... gotta love it ! PW = Personal Worst - Classic. :)

thanks,

JapanRon

Fishbones
06-22-2010, 07:31 PM
LoL on the PW, thanks for the report.,.,goodluck next trip out.