PDA

View Full Version : City Park Fishing Tips (Fairmount Park Tested!)

Ranoxic
06-20-2010, 05:23 PM
I've been fishing in Fairmount Park since I was a kid, so I've learned a few things about fishing these waters, and I'm certain they can be applied to other City-Parks that face the same kind of fishing pressure and conditions.

1) Always go with the lightest line you can. City Parks are heavily fished, so they learn quickly to associate bad things with line. The lighter the line, the harder for the fish to notice. The heaviest I use is 8lb when I cast for bass. I regularly use 2lb or 4lb for Carp, Catfish, Trout, and Bluegill in these waters.

2) Smaller Hooks! I always see these guys come around with huge hooks! In a city park, fish can feel the hook and WILL spit it out. 22-18 Sized Hooks are all you need. You'll get more bites and hook ups because when baited properly, the fish wont feel a heavy hook. Combined with light line and light weight, they wont feel anything, often taking off and setting the hook on themselves!

3) Baits! Bring several baits on your trip, because you never know whats going to be biting at the time! I bring several baits all the time, which usually consists of a can of Pop-top Corn, Mealworms, and some sort of Cut-Bait (Mackrel, Squid, or even Fish Guts from a previous catch). This lets you swap between baits to present, and even species to go after. When I want to catch Carp, I can use Corn or Mealworms, when I want Bluegill/Bass its Mealworms, and when I want Catfish Cut-Baits are there.

4) Have a light rig. For Carp and Bluegill you only need to go at most, 10ft or so from shore. So a few Split-shot weights and the hook with light line can more than accomplish this. With cut-baits, you can use a slightly larger hook (maybe a 16 or 12) to fish with.These baits have more weight to them and can be fly-lined out without sinkers.

5) Patience is Golden. Don't go to a City-Park for the first time and expect to catch like a pro. It took me several years and a few lucky guesses to whittle down my favorite spots to wait-n-bait when I go. Talk to people, find out where fish are stocked, where people seem to catch fish, and where the birds are fed. Catfish and Carp have a tendency to congregate where they'res easy food. Any bits of bread that sink down are fair game for these fish. Fish one spot or two each trip, and remember where you were when you did catch something. Next time, try it again and see if its a consistent spot.

Hope this helps anyone who is getting frustrated with a city park. I've talked to guys who swear to me that Fairmount has no fish at all, and even have called me a liar when I tell them about the 8+lb carp I've pulled out on 4lb line.

Good Luck!
Ranoxic

Sublime-Steve
06-20-2010, 05:35 PM
this man tells the truth!!!

RiverCityCarp
06-22-2010, 09:12 PM
Hey Dude,
We met the other night, and bullshitted about carp and bass in the little cove until the racoon scarred us off..lol
Here's a couple of pics (if I can figure out how to upload them) of the famous Fairmount carp that I caught over the past week..

madwire3
06-22-2010, 10:17 PM
ah fun ol carp

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
06-22-2010, 10:34 PM
thaNks bro, this will defintely bring my fairmont numbers up...

Hoshnasi
06-22-2010, 10:38 PM
Totally agree with this. The line weight in particular is one of the biggest. 4lb. is my go to line for most park lakes.

Ranoxic
06-23-2010, 10:39 AM
Hey Dude,
We met the other night, and bullshitted about carp and bass in the little cove until the racoon scarred us off..lol
Here's a couple of pics (if I can figure out how to upload them) of the famous Fairmount carp that I caught over the past week..

Hey! Good to see you made you way on here! Its was great talking to you. Those are some pretty carp. Just keep exploring the lake and you'll find all those sweet spots where the carp are.

WARRIORMIKE
06-23-2010, 11:10 PM
I would have to disagree on some of the things you mentioned. Fairmont is totally different breed of lake when it comes to the bass. I would say the opposite on the line and apply techniques they use in Texas on FP

BassEngineer
06-24-2010, 10:44 AM
Very nice tips....I went to Fairmount Park and slayed them!!! I caught 8 carp...I threw 3 in the trash, and took the rest home. They were so yummy!!

hehe....just kidding, I only caught 7 carp....

just kidding again...I have never even fished for carp. But you provide some very good tips. I fish city parks quite often for bass. I would much rather throw a bait caster, but I get way more bites on my spinning gear with 4lb or 6lb.

Ranoxic
06-24-2010, 11:04 AM
I admit most of my tips apply to the Bait N' Wait crowd. I'm on a very basic level with bass fishing, but its becoming my new time killer.

RiverCityCarp
06-24-2010, 10:29 PM
I got skunked on Wednesday evening but went back Thursday moring at 6 am. I had two of the biggest carp so far. The biggest was maybe 6lbs. It's definitely time for me to try a different spot on the lake. If there really is a 20lb. carp in there, I want to catch it.

bassgrabber1
06-25-2010, 08:07 AM
I would have to disagree on some of the things you mentioned. Fairmont is totally different breed of lake when it comes to the bass. I would say the opposite on the line and apply techniques they use in Texas on FP

Same here ....I use a Texas rigg with 10lbs test or 8lbs test for BASS. I have had good luck my past few trips. Fairmount is one of those places that you have to really have the patience to fish because the bite is really light. They never smash it, it's always just a "tick tick". I have learned a lot fishing those lakes and I know where they are now, well at least where I have the most luck. I think I am going to post up a tip :)

smokinflies
06-26-2010, 02:09 PM
I've been fishing in Fairmount Park since I was a kid, so I've learned a few things about fishing these waters, and I'm certain they can be applied to other City-Parks that face the same kind of fishing pressure and conditions.

1) Always go with the lightest line you can. City Parks are heavily fished, so they learn quickly to associate bad things with line. The lighter the line, the harder for the fish to notice. The heaviest I use is 8lb when I cast for bass. I regularly use 2lb or 4lb for Carp, Catfish, Trout, and Bluegill in these waters.

2) Smaller Hooks! I always see these guys come around with huge hooks! In a city park, fish can feel the hook and WILL spit it out. 22-18 Sized Hooks are all you need. You'll get more bites and hook ups because when baited properly, the fish wont feel a heavy hook. Combined with light line and light weight, they wont feel anything, often taking off and setting the hook on themselves!

3) Baits! Bring several baits on your trip, because you never know whats going to be biting at the time! I bring several baits all the time, which usually consists of a can of Pop-top Corn, Mealworms, and some sort of Cut-Bait (Mackrel, Squid, or even Fish Guts from a previous catch). This lets you swap between baits to present, and even species to go after. When I want to catch Carp, I can use Corn or Mealworms, when I want Bluegill/Bass its Mealworms, and when I want Catfish Cut-Baits are there.

4) Have a light rig. For Carp and Bluegill you only need to go at most, 10ft or so from shore. So a few Split-shot weights and the hook with light line can more than accomplish this. With cut-baits, you can use a slightly larger hook (maybe a 16 or 12) to fish with.These baits have more weight to them and can be fly-lined out without sinkers.

5) Patience is Golden. Don't go to a City-Park for the first time and expect to catch like a pro. It took me several years and a few lucky guesses to whittle down my favorite spots to wait-n-bait when I go. Talk to people, find out where fish are stocked, where people seem to catch fish, and where the birds are fed. Catfish and Carp have a tendency to congregate where they'res easy food. Any bits of bread that sink down are fair game for these fish. Fish one spot or two each trip, and remember where you were when you did catch something. Next time, try it again and see if its a consistent spot.

Hope this helps anyone who is getting frustrated with a city park. I've talked to guys who swear to me that Fairmount has no fish at all, and even have called me a liar when I tell them about the 8+lb carp I've pulled out on 4lb line.

Good Luck!
Ranoxic

6) Respect local Anglers' fishing holes by:

a) Practicing CPR on certain types of fish whenever possible.

b)Following DFG and city lakes' rules/regulations.

c) Discarding any trash you create.

d) Use caution when posting pictures of catches. (optional).

RiverCityCarp
06-26-2010, 02:19 PM
Think I answered most of my own questions this morning.
Pulled this hog out at 8 am today.

Ranoxic
06-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Ha! Awesome Job! Told you there's some big guys swimming around in there!

The Angler
06-27-2010, 04:59 PM
Oh i know theres big-uns in there. The lake is just extremly tuff to fish. i have seen cats that size and even bigger cruising the shorline every blue moon. its usually really early though around 4 a.m. I think they know they can feed at that time before the crowds start showing up throwing rocks and what not into the lake.

tree
07-22-2010, 07:27 AM
I've been heading out to the park lakes more frequently, but still getting skunked on the bass bites. TBH, i've only been going for bass, so that may be why.

smokehound
07-23-2010, 12:52 PM
Always try something the fish havent seen before--- if doing the bait & wait, try other insects besides nightcrawlers, mealworms, and crickets.

Try a big ole flylined tomato hornworm.

reptile dude007
07-23-2010, 01:13 PM
OR a big old Hissing cockroach

smokehound
07-24-2010, 12:20 AM
OR a big old Hissing cockroachDang, I imagine a huge bass would explode on that thing.

flyline a live brown rat and toss it out there. It swims on its own >=D

...that is, if you can stomach the horrible scream they make when in pain.