PDA

View Full Version : NPH Butt in the mud

elevated
06-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Fished NPH yesterday 6/18/10 from 5:00 to around 9am. Started off on Balboa Island near the bridge and walked our way around to the ferry. After balboa island we caught the auto ferry to the peninsula and fished there for a bit before calling it a day. I bodysurfed the wedge for a half hour or so, we ate, and headed home all by 11:30. That's all I need to have a perfect day!

Fished with my girl again and after just one trip she was self sufficient and could almost fish by herself at NPH (I say almost because she lost a few pretty big fish from being too excited watching the reel go zzzzzzzzzZZZzzzzz and forgetting to set the hook). Anyway the day was fun as always and we caught a bunch of fish. We were fishing jerk shads with bullet weights on 10lb p line and 8lb fluro leader.

Onto the fish story of the day! As we were making our way around the island, I was giving most of the real juicy looking spots to my lady, letting her get first crack on some good structure because she was having a tough start to the day. About half way around I saw a little channel and told my girlfriend "ooo here's a spot that looks like its holding, hurry up with that cast babe..." then for whatever reason I blurted out "nah I'm taking it." So first cast in this little area BAM, I get hit pretty hard, feels real solid and takes a bunch of line. After about a 2 minute battle I see color and say to Jenny "o crap I think its a barracuda." I'm also wondering how he hasn't bitten off my line? A few more cranks and he takes more line, this guy did not like seeing my ugly mug looking down at him and does not want to be landed. After another minute I slide a nice halibut onto the mud, I thought it was a barracuda because he kept showing me the white side of his body and it made him look long, thin and sliver. Anyway we didn't even measure him because I knew it was short and I wanted to get him back in the water. Snapped a quick pic and he was on his way! Btw watching halibut swim is pretty cool, def worth a release video next time. Now looking back I feel pretty bad for not letting my girlfriend take that spot, but she said she was ok and just wants to get her own halibut even more now.

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx106/elevated_lc/IMG_0385.jpg

Cheers, good luck out there.

Jig-Guy
06-19-2010, 11:15 AM
Hi Elevated, thanks for your neat report. Looks like you guys had a good time. CPR:Wink: of the Butt is great and a good looking fish to boot.

TL

Bill / Jig-Guy