PDA

View Full Version : Dana Point Harbor, 6/14 and 6/16

americanskin
06-16-2010, 11:34 PM
Finally had some time to hit the local harbor on Monday and Wednesday. A ton of short bites on both days, mangled swimbaits from cuda hits, but nothing remotely spectacular, as is often the case in DP.

Fished the rocks and ledge near the Harbor Patrol station on both days. 6/14: Managed a few barracuda in the 15-18" range, and a pretty nice sandbass for the area, estimated at around 16". Didn't get a whole lot of actual time on the water as a result of some kid constantly asking to retie his baits for him. What the hell happened to parenting these days? Kid couldn't have been more than 10 years old, and his parents apparently were on the other side of the harbor having lunch and left him alone to fish. More than once, he attempted to unsnag his lure by stepping on the extremely wet and dangerous moss-covered rocks near the kelpline, and I had to basically jerk him off the rocks so he wouldn't fall in. Fished for two hours and absolutely no sign of his parents whatsoever; thought about contacting the harbor cops but he'd started fishing with some other complete strangers by the time I left.

6/16: Had an hour to kill in the evening and fished as dusk settled on the water. Seemed like I was getting nailed on every cast, but most of the hits were short, leaving only rake marks on my BH tails. Hooked into something strong after about a half hour that took some decent drag before throwing the hook. Two short cudas after that and I hit the road.

Lures: 3in BHs in Kelp Kritter on 3/8th oz heads, and Zoom Super Flukes in Arkansas Shiner on 1/2 oz bullet heads (killer plastic for barracuda fishing).

Lots of other anglers on Monday, and many, many regulations being broken. Out of a dozen or so anglers, I was the only one with a license. DFG needs some presence out here, and badly. Lots of poaching and overall careless fishing, and no amount of explanation or pleading with these people seems to help.

BAYFISHER4LIFE
06-17-2010, 12:11 AM
thats pretty cool of that kid to go out and fish like that so young, he's gonna be a pro by the age of 16. His parents definately should have been with him though................

DockRat
06-17-2010, 05:22 AM
Nowadays with all the freeks it ain't a good idea. This isn't Mayberry.
http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu326/megdays/Really%20Cool%20Stuff/TV%20Single%20Dads/single-dads-andygriffith1.jpg

calico killer kevin
06-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Wow, that's sucks dude. Need to head on down to Newport haha.

smokehound
06-18-2010, 09:19 PM
It really sucks, because Dana point is a neat place to fish. My niece loves it there, she gets to run around and play with the other little girls on the baby beach.

I lost a huge Spotfin there one time. Took me by surprise and bolted straight toward me, then popped off under the dock X(

Would have been my pb, looked way over 20 inches.

There are some WEIRDOS there!! But at least they arent as weird as newport's weirdo psuedo-trannies. X(

I remember taking the bus home, and this one tranny yells "DONT TOUCH ME, PERVERT".. lol everyone was lookin at him like "You arent foolin anyone, you ugly freak" ROFL

murrieta angler
06-18-2010, 09:38 PM
Just curious?!
How do you know if they had licencss or not?
The new regs say your license no longer has to be in plain sight.
Thanks for the report,
Robert

smokehound
06-19-2010, 08:39 PM
If its on the jetty near the harbor pier, no license is needed. Thats where most of those poachers are. Its a good thing its easy as hell to lose your rig there.