PDA

View Full Version : Upper Lake 6/15 Bass report

SDDave
06-15-2010, 06:08 PM
Been fishing the lower over the weekend got into some nicer grade of fish, lost a couple of pigs due to light line and the weeds.
Today got a late start, the Cat Special was loaded and ready to go, so got to the lake after picking up a ham sandwich at Gallions, the wind had yet to start up, the wind has been a key to the pattern I'm on right now, I've been using Pot bellied shads and jack-alls and fishtrix plastic, rigged with a #4 mosquito hook and a loop knot on 6 pd test mono.
Fished in the weed beds, the wind helps to break up the water so these shallow fish don't get to good of look at my ugly mug.
Stayed on my first spot for about 2 hours, caught about 6 fish between 2 and 3 pds, moved over to the saddle between Sharon's rest and got into the same action, loosed a pig over, I'd been working her and a smaller male, and she grabbed it first and I never stopped her, O well ...
My ham sandwich was calling to me so I sat down and grab half of it fired up the big motor and headed across the lake to another weed bed and rock reef that just about exposed no, finished the sandwich, grabbed the two picture fish out of the live well, I throw them in the well so to be able to catch the female or not to spook the other fish after I catch them, so got a good shower from trying to pull the fish out of the well, need to get a glove, hate getting spined.
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/sddave50/a0738006.jpg
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/sddave50/4dd3ba9b.jpg
So again the spots I'm fishing leaves me wide open for all the wake board boats to send rollers over my bow...
So first cast over to the reef and my line jumps tight and I reel into the fish and see that it's a small mouth, the thing is going airborne, I get him to the boat but he's not done, finally I grab him, check him out and take a couple pics and let him go...cool...http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/sddave50/6769f805.jpghttp://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/sddave50/f83e5c03.jpg

I left that spot and went over to Old outhouse out in front to finish off the day, there's a good mud line on the shoreline and weeds, cast right to the shore line and the line felt wearied, not that a small fly line plastic bait has much feel to it anyway, so I reel down and get a nicer fish, 3+ fun deal.
that finished it off for me, got 2 more smaller fish after that and called it a day, at PM, so good bass session from AM to PM. Heading back tomorrow, check out the Pot bellied Shads at www.Atomiccustombaits.com

Fire Ball
06-15-2010, 06:22 PM
Awesome smallie from the upper lake! Congrats.

BuzzBait
06-15-2010, 08:37 PM
Good job up there! That big lake can be a very tough lake to fish. Never really had luck at sharons nest. I've seen double digits come out of there. I've had better luck at other areas. That wind though can be your best friend or worst enemy in that big lake.

SDDave
06-15-2010, 08:57 PM
Awesome smallie from the upper lake! Congrats.
First eversmallmouth at the upper for me, Nice fish, you and your Dad got at the lower, Saturday I was fishing the weeds by the CSun dock and hooked one of those big girls and all I could do was watch it race down the side of my boat and disappear into the weeds and break me off.
than I ran into that lady life guard, of all the things she could have been doing she had to come over and tell me that I can't fish here..

Good job up there! That big lake can be a very tough lake to fish. Never really had luck at sharons nest. I've seen double digits come out of there. I've had better luck at other areas. That wind though can be your best friend or worst enemy in that big lake.
The upper is going off right now, try fishing those walls, now that the waters down, there's fish tight right on the shore, flyline a small bait and you can watch them come up and slam it, it's allmost as fun as topwater...
I'll be fishing allmost everyday and I'm trying to decide if Im going to start taking people out, the reaction bite for the stripers will start anytime now, then the shad will come up, it's going to start getting good. Dave

doorman
06-16-2010, 07:22 AM
all this while I was working I'm a little jealous right now.

Fire Ball
06-16-2010, 03:34 PM
First eversmallmouth at the upper for me, Nice fish, you and your Dad got at the lower, Saturday I was fishing the weeds by the CSun dock and hooked one of those big girls and all I could do was watch it race down the side of my boat and disappear into the weeds and break me off.
than I ran into that lady life guard, of all the things she could have been doing she had to come over and tell me that I can't fish here..

Thanks. Aww, that sucks that a big one broke you off. You were fishing by the old CSUN dock when she told you you couldn't fish there??
I need to get one of those upper lake smallies, but I am addicted to fishing the Lagoon. :LOL:

SDDave
06-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Thanks. Aww, that sucks that a big one broke you off. You were fishing by the old CSUN dock when she told you you couldn't fish there??
I need to get one of those upper lake smallies, but I am addicted to fishing the Lagoon. :LOL:
No I was more towards North Beach as it's called and I wasn't even fishing, I was working my way toward the middle of the two beaches, yep broke me off, thats allright I've got my share of donkeys out of there, I would have let it go anyway.
You got to get up top more, in about two weeks or less I hope, the ripbait bite will start for the Stripers, I don't post my trips much but I'm going to start more this year doing reports.
You know your having fun when there bustin on top a far as you can see...

SDDave
06-16-2010, 06:53 PM
all this while I was working I'm a little jealous right now.
come on up, I can hook ya up, I sure like th drawing of the Cailico bass in ur sig