PDA

View Full Version : Skiff NPH 6-13-10 PB Halibut

bowler
06-14-2010, 08:27 PM
I got up on Sunday at 4am after going out for Grunion and getting home a 1am. I was tried but i still want to go. Me and my wife picked up our friend at 5am and head out to Newport got there around 6am got on the boat and head to the jetty to get bait when we got there there was a lot of people around the Bait Receiver a lot of them were tied up to it to. They were getting a few good size Sand Bass. We try there for a few and got a few short bass. So we head back in by the island. We did a few drifts in front and got one short halibut. So move a little ways down and tied up to a buoy and fish there a little while we did not get any hits so we untie but a so as we did that i got hit hard. I told my friend to hand me that net thinking it was a bass and i can get it in by myself. So he hand me the net and i reeled it in as it got closer i noticed it was not a bass but a big halibut and that this small net we had wasn't going to be easy to get the fish in after about 10mins of fighting it we finally get it in. It is my biggest halibut i have got. Here is picture of him on a cooler.
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac21/bowler23_99/Mobile%20Uploads/20100613223029.jpg

We got a few more bass out of the same area but no more halibut we called it a day around 4pm.

My wife: 2 short halibut, 1 legal bass
My friend: 2 short bass, 1 mackerel
Me: 1 legal halibut, 3 legal bass

murrieta angler
06-15-2010, 12:53 PM
Very nice!
I have that same cooler and it is 20" long.
So you just caught your first legal size halibut, 22-23".
Good job bowler,
Robert

bowler
06-15-2010, 08:05 PM
Very nice!
I have that same cooler and it is 20" long.
So you just caught your first legal size halibut, 22-23".
Good job bowler,
Robert

Thank you
I measured cooler it is 24" long so my Halibut is about 27" long and that is my biggest i have caught because i have caught them just over the legal size.

shoyuegg
06-16-2010, 10:44 AM
nice one, man. btw did you rent the skiff and if so, how much was it?

bowler
06-16-2010, 09:11 PM
yes i did rent the skiff and it was $105 for all day plus $20 for live bait.
here is the website also to look at for more information.
http://www.pavilionskiff.com/