PDA

View Full Version : Aboard the city of l.b 6/13

CHOPIZ
06-14-2010, 11:32 AM
Well headed out yesterday moring on the city of long beach out of l.b.marina sportfishing with the old man.head to the horse shoe like everybody else looking to land some cudda's.turned out to be an awesome day.i caught 4 with one nice size sandbass.the old mann with 6 and the runner upp in jackpot(darn) against a 15lb halibut i suppose(should of been my fish) i was bottom fishing with a live dean and i got a nice bite i go to set the hook and miss!!!when i pulled up the end of the line the skin to the bait was clearly pulled all the way back as if i jus yanked the bait out of its mouth?(i should of waited a sec or two).as i go to the tank to rebait this chinese mann comes outt right field and drops his bait on my number(i was like wtf???)not even a min after he drops it.bam fish onn!!!!!!!he fought it for about five mins before we seen some color and sure enough 15lb halibut!!!i was pissed.i dnt think that should of counted.at all!!!!lol.anyways ya good day on city of l.b.fish on peeps.
Tight lines...

JapanRon
06-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Hi CHOPIZ,

Welcome to the world of Summer-time moo-moos !! What he did was 'POACHING' .... the real donkeys pull this ALL THE TIME !! You'll recognize them by their turning their heads and craning their necks around watching for a good miss on an obviously bigger fish and then the scum floats into your spot !!

Answer to problem is throw plastics so you never have to go to the bait tank, have your own rail rod holder, and a lure holder like mine that makes it obvious it's MY SPOT !! Ya shoulda dropped straight down from your spot on the rail and basically fell on top of his line ....... acting as if he wasn't even there !! Try it next time !! They'll never come near again.

JapanRon

murrieta angler
06-14-2010, 05:03 PM
There's more hali's out there CHOPIZ,
You'll get one soon enough Bro,
Robert

CHOPIZ
06-14-2010, 06:21 PM
Hey thanks for the advice guys.(japan rob)what kind of plastics do u recommend dropping to the bottom?? Im actually going to savon tackle tomarow.im looking for different types of colors in iorns.a couple packs of plastics wont hurt.
(robert)ya bro im pretty sure there are millions out there jus to shy or picky to smack ur bait?any tips?thanx
tight lines.

Fishbones
06-14-2010, 06:52 PM
thanks for the report, sucks bout the rail thief, gotta watch your spot.,.,..dont worry.,., you dont want that little halibut,
theres a bigger one waiting for you,,,

JapanRon
06-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Hi CHOPIZ,

I'd look at some 4 or 5" Bleeding Mackerel for bottom to 1/4 up, the old tan, brown, and orange belly combo, green metalic also good ... all swimmies. Confidence is most important. I have little luck with the storm type baits. I don't fish blams on the bottom but the dropper-loop guys use them very often. Might do some experiementing too !!

JapanRon

elevated
06-14-2010, 07:47 PM
bummer about the thief, I had the same experience my first time on a boat as well. always gonna be THOSE GUYS out there...good luck next time.