PDA

View Full Version : Seabass Time on the Tradition 6/12/10

Jackpot Jimmy
06-13-2010, 12:56 PM
We left the dock promptly at 6am and headed over to the bait receiver to pick up some sardines and small mackerel. A couple guys threw some swimbaits while bait was being loaded, and they got some short bites by some bonito that have been breezing through the harbor the last few months. Once we got under way, Capt. Steven said our target for the day would be seabass and calicos. He said calico bass fishing was exceptional the day before, with fish being taken on both the sardine and plastic. I set up my kelp cutter rig with a ½ ounce slider with a 2/0 hook for the seabass.

We arrived at our first spot and started soaking sardines. The current was running pretty good so you had to cast your bait up the side and let it flow in the current. However, most fish were hooked by the boat. We eventually got a few seabass and a bunch of shorts. The fish would just lightly gum the bait, and you had to give it plenty of time to eat. A lot of times, they would run with the bait for a while and drop it.

The current picked up throughout the morning and most of us went to an ounce slider, but we didn’t get another go-around on the seabass. We moved on to another spot, and we started having a nice pick at some quality calicos. The guys who could heave a sardine back into a kelp pocket got bit almost instantly. I fished the sardines for a while but then I switched to an anchovy colored blam with a red leadhead, and it worked for a while until I got stuck in the kelp and busted the plastic off. We had just fewer than 50 bass when Stevo wanted to see if the seabass would go on a little afternoon bite.

On the next spot, I got bit on my first cast. I let it eat the bait until it felt solid, and I was off to the races. I could feel the spectra cutting through some kelp, and about half way into the fight, the fish gave the illusion of breaking off, when actually, it was swimming towards the boat, and we got it on the boat soon after. A few other guys also hooked up in the next couple hours, and with some coaching, some nice seabass came on the boat.

The seven seabass that were landed ranged from just legal to 23 pounds, with the average being around 11 to 13 pounds. Mine weighed about 11 pounds. There were definitely some bigger models hooked, but tackle error occurred in some cases, so you have to come prepared! The fish were eager to bite the sardines but not the little mackerel or a fresh dead squid. Second, check your drags BEFORE you cast your bait in, and DO NOT touch the drag during the fight – it should be fine since it is already set. Go easy while fighting them, and don’t horse them in. This was my first time being in a good seabass bite, and it’s tough, but work at it and don’t give up!

It was also nice fishing calicos again. The water temperature was up to 64.5 degrees and the calicos were biting both sardine and plastic – I think summer fishing is finally here! Great times, great fishing!

My First Seabass
http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/007-33.jpg

Tom’s Seabass
http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/005-53.jpg

Jackpot Winning Seabass
http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/009-21.jpg

This was our pinhead for the day, Blaze. He got the biggest seabass, weighing in at 23 pounds.
http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/010-25.jpg

Fishbones
06-13-2010, 01:08 PM
congrats on your first seabass jimmy, those things have ditched me and jeff the last three times.,.,we will get em soon enuff..

elevated
06-13-2010, 02:03 PM
nice report, I think it was the deciding factor for me to jump on a 3/4 day this week. SOLD...

smokehound
06-13-2010, 02:33 PM
nicely done. Im getting tired of the dink harbor ghosts. I need to hop on one of these boats.

Troutman65
06-13-2010, 03:09 PM
Great report Jimmy. I always enjoy reading them. Congrats on your WSB .

JapanRon
06-13-2010, 04:20 PM
Hi Jackpot Jimmy,

Nice job on your first WSB !! Listened to the AM report with the Tradition at CAT today too. Tanked with Squid for the next couple of days .... sounds good for those willing to throw the dice !! I ain't goin' .... I hate those things !! :)

Guess you're out there today too !!

Great report as always,

JapanRon

flyngby
06-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Congrats on the first WSB!

I would have thought for sure you had one under your belt with the other quality sea bass you have caught and the all those "Jackpot Jimmy" trips.

Steve

marzocchi
06-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Nice local Seabass! I should have gone yesterday! Ugh!

trollmiester
06-13-2010, 09:19 PM
Weight to go jimmy. by the weigh blaze is a very good friend of mine and i am glad he is on your boat.Weigh to go blaze see you on the pier.

Jackpot Jimmy
06-13-2010, 10:27 PM
congrats on your first seabass jimmy, those things have ditched me and jeff the last three times.,.,we will get em soon enuff..

Thanks Alex! Hope you guys get into the seabass soon!

nice report, I think it was the deciding factor for me to jump on a 3/4 day this week. SOLD...

Thanks! Get 'em while they're biting.........

nicely done. Im getting tired of the dink harbor ghosts. I need to hop on one of these boats.

Thanks!

Great report Jimmy. I always enjoy reading them. Congrats on your WSB .

Thanks Parick!!

Hi Jackpot Jimmy,

Nice job on your first WSB !! Listened to the AM report with the Tradition at CAT today too. Tanked with Squid for the next couple of days .... sounds good for those willing to throw the dice !! I ain't goin' .... I hate those things !! :)

Guess you're out there today too !!

Great report as always,

JapanRon

Thanks Ron!

Congrats on the first WSB!

I would have thought for sure you had one under your belt with the other quality sea bass you have caught and the all those "Jackpot Jimmy" trips.

Steve

Thanks Steve! I never caught a legal seabass before, but honestly I really haven't targeted them all that much.

Nice local Seabass! I should have gone yesterday! Ugh!

Thank you! You should've came out, but at least you scored some karma points by getting your pops and his friends on some quality rockfish!

Weight to go jimmy. by the weigh blaze is a very good friend of mine and i am glad he is on your boat.Weigh to go blaze see you on the pier.

Thank you! Blaze is a very nice guy, and he did well landing that seabass!

EL_CHIDO
06-14-2010, 08:51 AM
Good Job Jimmy, I went on the 1/2 PM out of Redondo that same day and saw your boat a few 100 yards away.

Good tips on how to boat them, I was too aggressive and lost a few.

ANGLER-IN-TRAINING
06-14-2010, 11:47 AM
WTG Jimmy!!!
I caught my first flathead catfish last week, wow, it weighed 13 lbs, too!!!

We are, really, different anglers, aren't we? you, the salt and me the fresh. I like it how our paths cross.

Nice looking WSB.

fishking
06-14-2010, 04:53 PM
Jimmy as always good report and good fishing with you.. Too bad all those shorts, including mine, couldnt have been legal size :(

Anyways see you on Thursday..

DockRat
06-14-2010, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the report.
DR

ezcompany
06-15-2010, 10:00 AM
great job on the local biscuits jimmy! well deserved

Which Way Out
06-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Good job Jimmy I look forward to my first WSB someday. Nice pic's

number1yak
06-15-2010, 04:38 PM
Congratulations on your first seabass Jimmy. See, good things do come to guys who wear red hats.
Looking forward to a lot more days on the water this year with you and the Tradition crew.

Tom