PDA

View Full Version : Bishop tomorrow

SeaSick17
06-13-2010, 07:32 AM
Heading up for first trip of the year. Going to tube and fish the river. My friend is flyfishing and I am spinning. I want to tube PVR but he wants to flyfish the river. Any good spots where we both can fish the river? Tubing spots other than PVR? and I am going to try fishing with bubble and fly, never done this before. How to I rig it? Which was does the bubble go?
Any info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
George

cpt_majestic
06-13-2010, 09:06 AM
Pretty easy actually, I use it all the time...Put the bubble on, then swivel, then leader and then tie the fly on end of leader...Blammo

I use a long leader, at least the length of my pole 6 ft. I usually swap between mosquito and wolly, depending on the depth I'm looking for.
BTW, bubble goes tapered end towards your pole, this way when your bubble plug hits swivel it wont pop out and keep draining the water.

Good Luck

Eat Sleep Fish
06-13-2010, 10:12 AM
Use a Carolina Keeper instead of a swivel. It saves you having to tie two knots, therefore you don't lose any line strength. And it is much easier to work with/change the length of your leader. I've been using them for the past 5 years and never touched a swivel since. They come in red and clear, but I prefer the clear ones. I've noticed a lot of times fish will come up and strike the red ones, thinking it's a salmon egg or something. They are just way better than a swivel, plain and simple. Look 'em up on Yahoo or Google. Sport Chalet's got 'em. So does Turners.

cpt_majestic
06-13-2010, 10:25 AM
I tried those keepers a few times, seems like it spun my line up a lot, maybe just me

SeaSick17
06-13-2010, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the info, I will try both methods and see which I like better.

Eat Sleep Fish
06-13-2010, 03:56 PM
I tried those keepers a few times, seems like it spun my line up a lot, maybe just me

I never had a problem with line spinning. If you spool up your reel corretly, you'll be fine. Works great for bait setups too. The main thing is anytime you make a knot/split the line, it takes away that much strength. So your not losing all that line power if you use a keeper.

billy b
06-13-2010, 05:36 PM
Love the CKeepers ... also easier to adjust the length of your leader/line from your weight.

jim532
06-15-2010, 10:29 AM
he can flyfish at pvr while you're tubing, plenty of great spots for both.
As far as the fly and bubble goes, I prefer the carolina keeper. If you want instructions on how to rig it up, stop at Mac's Sporting Goods in Bishop, their business card has a diagram for fly N bubble on the back.

exodus
06-15-2010, 11:08 AM
I've also had trouble with line twist using the keepers. It probably also depends on how you are fishing them. I used it in the surf and with all the turbulence, it didn't keep the twist out of my line enough. If you are bait soaking in a lake, or doing a slow cast and retrieve with a fly it may not be as much of a problem.

SeaSick17
06-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Hit up Bishop on Monday - Wed. My buddy only fly fishes and didnt bring his spinning reel. So we headed to the lower owens at 5pm and it was 97 ouch. I didnt get **** and he got one small rainbow. The flow was fast. Next day I dropped him off at the lower owens and went to PVR in another blistering day. Didnt catch anything for the hour that I was there and didnt see anyone catching either. So we headed up to Bishop creek where I got one small brown. My buddy didnt get anything and got frustrated because he couldnt cast. I headed up to Sabrina for 5 rainbows on a minijig. Later in the evening I hit up PVR again and fished for about an hour. Got 5 more rainbows on a Brown Trout Rapala. The next morning we headed out to Big Pine and Glacier Lodge but it was too cold for my friend, so we just headed home. Pics to come later.
George