PDA

View Full Version : Bonito at local piers?

bchbum54
07-19-2007, 10:54 AM
Has there been any reports of bonies of the piers yet. Last summer my girl and i fished Balboa every day and had a field day on the bonies. For you who dont know me i C&R only

SOSO
07-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Nothing Yet...You guys at Balboa Pier and south would know first. I had a blast cathing Bonitos here at Santa Monica Pier last late August~early September.

JohnG
07-19-2007, 01:32 PM
Just as well too. Once they show, the pier becomes a full house.

I'm sure you'll hear about it when they show!

JohnG

smokehound
07-19-2007, 03:50 PM
Yup.. Once they are here, everyone will be catching these brutes.

Man, i cant wait till they assault huntington pier.. That pier always gets nice boners. Commonly around 20 inchers. Try using berkley blade dancers without the spoon on the lip. Just sit them down about 2-3 feet under the surface. Try to get the rainbow smelt and the shiner blade dancers. Those are perfect, and blend in with the smelt, while standing out. Ive yet to try them in the surf with the spoon attachment.

I went to huntington beach and not a single person caught any bonito, even the mackerel werent in good numbers.. The good news is, the smelt bounced back from the red tide, and they are just as abundant as ever. So we should see some boners cruising the piers around august,-oct. Just keep an eye out for em.

SOSO
07-19-2007, 03:58 PM
[quote="smokehound"]Yup.. Once they are here, everyone will be catching these brutes.

Man, i cant wait till they assault huntington pier.. That pier always gets nice boners. Commonly around 20 inchers. Try using berkley blade dancers without the spoon on the lip. Just sit them down about 2-3 feet under the surface. Try to get the rainbow smelt and the shiner blade dancers. Those are perfect, and blend in with the smelt, while standing out. Ive yet to try them in the surf with the spoon attachment.

LOL...

fishnfool
07-20-2007, 12:07 AM
This time last year it was WFO Bonies at the Shoe......This year none to be found......

Some think the Massive Schools of Giant Squid that we had is the Culprit

Who knows....... :roll:

smokehound
07-20-2007, 01:13 AM
Yup.. Once they are here, everyone will be catching these brutes.

LOL...i knew someone was gonna catch that :lol:

SOSO
07-20-2007, 09:17 AM
This time last year it was WFO Bonies at the Shoe......This year none to be found......

Some think the Massive Schools of Giant Squid that we had is the Culprit

Who knows....... :roll:

Thats what some people have said about the Sand Bass, however the party boats are catching good numbers. My guess is that Giant Squid has scared the Bonitos away but not for long. Cant wait to use the fly lures.

smokehound
07-20-2007, 10:20 PM
Also take into consideration all the other animals that love tuna and their kin.

Loggoog
08-02-2007, 08:27 AM
I went last week to the San Clemente Pier and there were Mackerel but sill no Bonito.

hartattack13
08-02-2007, 06:54 PM
i heard there were some decent schools off of huntington beach pier this past wekend.

hartattack13
08-02-2007, 06:57 PM
i heard there were some decent schools off of huntington beach pier this past wekend.

Funjunkie74
08-03-2007, 09:08 AM
I wonder if Catalina Island is starting to see them?!?

bchbum54
08-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Nice, thanks for the updates. i wont get a chance to go out until Monday but i will post a report of what i catch

smokehound
08-03-2007, 07:27 PM
i heard there were some decent schools off of huntington beach pier this past wekend.You heard right! The bonito are there. Lots of small pansized specimens. But the last afternoon i was there, the 20+ inchers were exploding all over the place.

At the pier, if the weather doesnt turn cloudy in the evening, the sun backlights the water, and you can see the bonito flashing as they torpedo the smelt. This happens around the late afternoon, when the sun is over the horizon.

CoffeaRobusta
08-04-2007, 11:14 AM
I wonder if Catalina Island is starting to see them?!?
I heard that they were being caught out there. Seen them caught off the SB pier too.

Loggoog
08-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Went to San Clemente beach and walked on the pier and people were bringing in some small ones.