PDA

View Full Version : Life jackets on Kayaks???

GEO
04-19-2007, 07:10 PM
Took my kayak out to Huntington Harbor today, in the late morning. This is the 1st time I have been there. While floating along with my line in the water I see the OC Sherriff Harbor Patrol coming toward me. They pull along side me and ask if I have a life jacket on my rig, I tell'em no. They in turn tell me that I need to leave the water or get a Lifejacket. The Deputies take all my info. Name, add, DOB, CDL and PH#. After giving the info. they ask to see my Fishing License, I had it hanging on my neck and just so I just flashed it to them, they said OK.
I have kayaked in Newport Harbor many times, and talked to to Harbor Patrol Deputies plenty of times when on the water and have never been asked about a life jacket or Fishing license.
1) Are Life jackets now required???
2) Can Deputies do anything if a person is fishing w/o a license?? ( I just ask because if this is the case I hope they go after people fishing w/o licenses)
3) Do have to provide my info to a Deputy in this type of situation?
Prior to this I had been thinking of getting a Life Jacket for Kayak fishing (no really I was), so getting one is not an issue. Anyone have suggestions or recommendations on a jacket for kayak fishing.
Thanks

mg2969
04-19-2007, 09:44 PM
1) Are Life jackets now required???
Life jackets are ALWAYS required, they don't have to be on just in/on the kayak

2) Can Deputies do anything if a person is fishing w/o a license?? ( I just ask because if this is the case I hope they go after people fishing w/o licenses)
My understanding is ANY local law enforcement official can enforce DFG regs, including having a fishing license

3) Do have to provide my info to a Deputy in this type of situation?
I would

PFD (personal floatation devices) are a peronal preference. Alot of the yak fisherman I've seen wear the auto-inflators

rocklee
04-19-2007, 10:21 PM
response to question number 1
All boats less than 16 feet in length, and canoes and kayaks of any length, must carry a Type I, II, or III wearable PFD of the appropriate size for each person on board.

http://www.dbw.ca.gov/Pubs/Pfd/PFDs.pdf

so yeah you need know,

jonee523
04-19-2007, 11:06 PM
In the state of cal. if fishing from any craft under 16ft a PFD is required to be avalible in the event of sinking? It does not have to be worn unless it is the inflatible type. For those to count as a pfd they must be worn at all times. This is what I have been told by Southwind Kayaks where I bought my Yak and by friends who are rangers at Lake Perris.

Hope this helps,

Jon

Ps. I also heard you must have a fishing net at least 18" in a kayak/float tube also. (paddling.net)

Hawkeye5447
04-20-2007, 09:41 AM
In santa barbara you need to have a PFD, 18" net, horn/whistle, a light, and someother stuff. I mean if your in a float tube its just about near impossible to get out there becasue you have all this crap haning from your tube.