PDA

View Full Version : Late post Hunting Beach

Howling Mad Murdock
06-10-2010, 09:14 PM
Drove down to HB from San Francisco Thursday, hit Mahi tackle and picked up some new braid and 5/0 hooks. BA Baracus and Col. Smith picked up the huge squid (about a foot in length not including tentacles) from some asian market. Started the soak at around 9, it was a 6' tide. About a 20 minute soak and BAM..Baracus is fighting a 7gill. I thought those were only caught up north near me, but man, it was awesome. Took him about 10 minutes to real in.
OK, so it's on. We have a little bet that the winner of the 2 teams has to buy the security guard a coupon from Claim Jumper, and Yong and I bought last time. The winner was a 25lb Leo caught by Col Smith, but tonight was going to be different!
I toss my line back in..not more than 2 minutes my clicker is going off...10 seconds and hook set. I fight what I think is a large bat ray for about 10 minutes and the line goes slack.. :(
Col Smith tosses his line in...he walks over to me to take a few jabs, and his reel starts screaming...5 minutes into the fight and SNAP.
Yong is first to throw his line in this time, we all rebaited. 5 minutes...10 minutes...15 minutes...then click click click...his clicker is moving ..not fast but its moving. He picks up his pole and gives it about 20 seconds more then BAM, sets the hook, and his reel is just SCREAMING! He is using 20LB mono, so we know its a decent size fish. Takes him about 15 minutes to bring the fish in, then, Col Smith shines his light on the water near the fish, and it goes ape ****. Spools him....another 10 minutes, light comes out, fish halls balls towards the open water. Another 10 minutes, he bring it near the dock and it started to turn towards the pylons. The fish just drops, sinks to the bottom and wont budge. I climb over a boat, and he tosses me his rod..we pass it back to him on the side the fish is on the bottom. Slowly he cranks him in.....wing span of 48" our scale didnt quick weigh the fish properly, but we went on the web and saw that in California the largest caught ray accurately measured was 6' wing span @ 240lbs. We guess it is about 120-140 lbs caught on 20lb mono. The 7 Gill was about 3 feet.

Also, I am heading down to Huntington again this Friday, Col Smith and I are chartering a 4pak and targetting WSB at Catalina, then on to do some Shark fishing. WSB/YT to be kept, sharks to be released. Anyone interested send me a PM.

Kevin

gavin310
06-10-2010, 09:37 PM
NICE! That 7 gill is awesome. Wish I could do the charter but I'm broooookkkee