PDA

View Full Version : 16-year-old California teen Abby Sunderland missing at sea!!!!!

TaperSteve
06-10-2010, 01:51 PM
Just read a few articles on Google News about it. Hopefully they find her.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jvvdfQLj5ldn3iczZTrnitpO6Lkg

TaperSteve

CL SmooV
06-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Dang, I hoped she'd make it problem free like her brother. My prayers go out to she and her family.

SierraPeaks
06-11-2010, 05:10 AM
She was found...safe and sound. A French fishing vessel is picking her up today.

CatchthatTrout
06-11-2010, 06:51 AM
I sure hope they BILL her parents for the search efforts.

SierraPeaks
06-11-2010, 07:57 AM
France originally thought her sailboat was a German Naval vessel and surrendered.

EL_CHIDO
06-11-2010, 08:09 AM
France originally thought her sailboat was a German Naval vessel and surrendered.

LMAO

Down w/the Frogs!

City Dad
06-11-2010, 09:08 AM
hmm... picked up by a French fishing vessel? That's weird... Sansou has been strangely quiet lately, hasn't he?

DarkShadow
06-11-2010, 07:52 PM
My money was on pirates.

smokehound
06-11-2010, 07:54 PM
coulda been worse. A taiwanese sex-slave floating brothel coulda netted her =P

DarkShadow
06-15-2010, 12:01 AM
So, I love the details that emerge after incidents like this occur.

1. Australia dispatched commercial and military planes to look for this lost navigator. Cost? $250,000.

2. Her parents had a deal in place for a reality show AND documentary surrounding the kid's trek around the world.

3. They did it because they were broke.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/sail_kid_parents_set_cour_for_tv_crGRuKCVBcBCM5v3s 23ULK

TaperSteve
06-15-2010, 08:19 AM
yeah itll be interesting to see if anyone seeks criminal charges against the parents like in the ballon boy case. Only difference is ballon boy happened on land and Abby was lost at sea.

TS

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
06-15-2010, 10:57 AM
were you in the attic this whole time?????"why didn't you answer when we called your name abbey?"

smokehound
06-15-2010, 01:12 PM
Lol i told everyone this was gonna happen. had she died, her parents would be charged with neglegent homicide.

DarkShadow
06-15-2010, 01:35 PM
had she died, her parents would be charged with neglegent homicide.

And had she suceeded, her parents wouldve have been lauded and labeled "courageous," "supportive," and wouldve been on every morning show from LA to New York and being praised by Oprah.

Its funny how the end justifies the means in some cultures.

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
06-15-2010, 02:01 PM
And had she suceeded, her parents wouldve have been lauded and labeled "courageous," "supportive," and wouldve been on every morning show from LA to New York and being praised by Oprah.

Its funny how the end justifies the means in some cultures.

hahahahahaha...true...

smokehound
06-15-2010, 03:41 PM
Man, i still cant believe her parents were dumb enough to let her attempt that.

old pudd fisher
06-15-2010, 04:14 PM
Man, i still cant believe her parents were dumb enough to let her attempt that.

Thats for sure.

sansou
06-15-2010, 05:29 PM
At 16, she is 10 times the sailor of anybody on this website. Kudos to that kid.

On the other hand, her parents leave something else to be desired.

City Dad
06-16-2010, 08:08 AM
At 16, she is 10 times the sailor of anybody on this website.

...oh yeah? I'd like to see her ram a rental ten feet up the shore with a beer in one hand and cig in the other! That's sailing.

SierraPeaks
06-16-2010, 08:20 AM
yeah itll be interesting to see if anyone seeks criminal charges against the parents like in the ballon boy case. Only difference is ballon boy happened on land and Abby was lost at sea.

TS

There's a big difference between an deliberate hoax and a legitimate attempt at something. Sunderland's 17 year old son had already attempted the feat a couple years ago and succeeded.
I really doubt there will be any criminal charges because the defense will be why didn't they seek criminal charges when their son made the journey.
You can't file charges on one and not the other.

TaperSteve
06-16-2010, 08:49 AM
Yeah it was last year her brother did it when he was 16. I watched it live on Good Day LA when he returned home. There were 100+ boats that met him off shore and followed him back in with signs praising his feat. Probably had who knows how many helicopters overhead following him in. Then there were hundreds if not thousands of people on land waiting for him. It was crazy!!!

There's a big difference between an deliberate hoax and a legitimate attempt at something. Sunderland's 17 year old son had already attempted the feat a couple years ago and succeeded.
I really doubt there will be any criminal charges because the defense will be why didn't they seek criminal charges when their son made the journey.
You can't file charges on one and not the other.

I guess what I was thinking was will anyone go after the parents for financial responsability. Though the media has been saying that people want child neglect charges to be filed because they didnt think the trip through and put her in a dangerous situation. Sounds like they planned it for the wrong/worst time of year to maybe push this reality show they had lined up. Unlike her brothers trip which he started at a better time of year.

TS