PDA

View Full Version : Here's my tips on Gull Lake ... anybody got something to suggest

billy b
06-09-2010, 01:11 PM
to share?

Goin this Monday ... 6/21

If you want to catch some browns, fish the "rock" at gull with large CD 9 Rapalas, and Thomas Bouyants. If you like dunking bait, Yellow or chunky cheese, chunky chartreuse, salmon peach, is there a Salmon Egg flavor? power bait. The key is use small bait, huge globs of power bait will get you nothing. Fish toward the reeds

If trolling, stay 20-30 feet of the shoreline. Best bet is the Tasmanian Devil (Hot pink –small black stripes) and Rapala #7 floater (gold & black). Still fish at the North and Swest corners ... near to the tulle beds . Jig Trout Trap green grasshopper.

Using Berkley Power worms. I use UL reel and rod with 2-4# test. Carolina rig with 3 to 4 foot 2# test leader. Use a very light slider egg weight. I rig a Gulp Egg onto the hook and then thread on the power worm. The Gulp egg floats and helps keep the set up out of the weeds. 8 or 10 Mosquito hook is fine. I don't usually wacky rig. Cast out allow to sink to the bottom and SLOWLY retrieve. If you have a boat. Drift fish with the same set up about 25-40 feet deep - jigging up and down slowly.

SierraPeaks
06-09-2010, 02:42 PM
I've always had my best luck on Gull trolling the rocks...hugging the shoreline as close as possible (shore fishermen permitting) about 5 or 6 colors down with a yellow flatfish w/ black & red spots. I start from the dock and make my turn after the rocks in the reed area at the campground entrance and head back across the same line. And what I've had most luck with right there is cutthroats up to 4 pounds...but averaging 2 to 3 pounds.

billy b
06-10-2010, 09:32 AM
If I got you right ... troll up the side of the lake that is next to the campgrounds & highway ... and then do a 180 loop and come right back over the same route? I used to troll that pattern and then come straight down the middle towards the marina from the big rock. You're saying go past the big rock and then do the loop right back over the same pattern.

5-6 colors sounds deep ... especially this time of year ... but I'll go with it if you say so.

Haven't used a flatfish in years ... but I still gots em ... mainly F7
A man should never be without an F7 frog flatfish.

SierraPeaks
06-10-2010, 02:23 PM
If I got you right ... troll up the side of the lake that is next to the campgrounds & highway ... and then do a 180 loop and come right back over the same route? I used to troll that pattern and then come straight down the middle towards the marina from the big rock. You're saying go past the big rock and then do the loop right back over the same pattern.

5-6 colors sounds deep ... especially this time of year ... but I'll go with it if you say so.

Haven't used a flatfish in years ... but I still gots em ... mainly F7
A man should never be without an F7 frog flatfish.

I go from the dock on the opposite side of the lake from the marina and troll past the big rocks (with the tree rope swing) and make my turn in the area by the ranger station (the entrance to the campground) and go back across the same line with slight variations each time (a little further out...a little further in)
Trolling the shoreline along the campsites is often hot too.
But for real....try your Flattie...It's never failed me at Gull.

STEVE IN SOCAL
06-16-2010, 10:22 AM
Years ago a widow gave me her husbands old tackle box. After reading this thread I went to the barn and rummaged through it, where I found about a dozen flatfish, all different sizes/colors.These things are probably fifty years old.
Anyways, went Crowley on Monday, tied on an F7 frog, and hadn't gone 200 yards an BAM hooked and landed a 3lb rainbow.

Thanks for the tip!

billy b
06-16-2010, 11:18 AM
AWESOME !!!!

I'm sure my daddy was watching down on you and cheering you on. That was his favorite ... then, of course, the frog needlefish.

Thanks for sharing and CONGRATS!

SierraPeaks
06-17-2010, 04:56 AM
Just this year Worden started making a jointed Faltfish. Naturally I had to buy one. Tried it at Crowley and hooked a 4 1/2 pound rainbow in 10 minutes. The action on this lure is insane. I'm definitely going to buy a few more varieties.

billy b
06-17-2010, 07:12 AM
Isn't the quote a take-off on Descartes? WHere's the great picture? It's beautiful !!!

SierraPeaks
06-17-2010, 07:21 AM
Isn't the quote a take-off on Descartes? WHere's the great picture? It's beautiful !!!

Yes to question 1 BB...and it's Convict Lake.

SierraPeaks
06-17-2010, 07:24 AM
http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz290/SierraPeaks/jointed_flatfish.jpg

shinbob
06-17-2010, 09:38 AM
More Gull Lake tips:

1) In the summer, the shallow areas near the reeds fishes well first thing in the morning (i.e. up to an hour or two after first light), but midday the fish go deep.
2) If you see large fish crusing deep through the weeds in the shallows, especially mid-day, they are most likely chub, not trout. They will eat flylined bits of crawlers, if you want to try to catch one.
3) Another good tactic is to start off at the rock, and let the wind drift you down to the other end (stay near the campground side of the lake). Trout worm on a splitshot works well using this tactic.
4) There are a lot of sacramento perch in this lake, but are much smaller than the ones at Crowley and not really worth the trouble if you're trying to catch some for dinner. But they are great fun for the kids.
5) As with most lakes, the freshly planted trout tend to stay near the launch ramp where they are dumped in. At least for the first few days or so. The smart ones head for the marina where it's safe and there's plenty of trout chow to be had.
6) Gull is a small lake, and with the free boat launch, it gets a lot of pressure. It fishes well right after a plant, but by Sunday or Monday it definitely slows down significantly. Try June instead.

STEVE IN SOCAL
06-17-2010, 11:11 AM
Not sure how much more action you'd need than a regular flatfish. I felt like I had a Brazilian Samba dancer on the end of my line...

SierraPeaks
06-17-2010, 10:20 PM
Not sure how much more action you'd need than a regular flatfish. I felt like I had a Brazilian Samba dancer on the end of my line...

Trust me Steve...it doubles the side tio side crippled action. And with a dodger ? Fuhgettaboutit !

JAG107
06-28-2010, 06:59 PM
These are great tips.
BTW Luhr Jensen Kwikfish come in jointed ones too I believe, and those are also good killers for me. Especially chrome/green spots and the rainbow trout pattern. They have a big K14 in Rainbow trout that I can't wait to try on for a big brownie.

billy b
06-29-2010, 09:51 AM
The "Kwikfish" look just like the good ole Flatfish. Are they different ... or did they just change the name?

JAG107
06-29-2010, 05:48 PM
pretty much the same product except the name. Flatfish probably made the design first. I like the kwikfish's action and color choices better.

TROUTMAN777
07-02-2010, 09:45 PM
fished gull for three days mid june and absolutly killed it with orange gulp worms either at the reeds or in front of marina by rocks, dead center. red power worms worked great too.

billy b
07-03-2010, 04:51 PM
fished gull for three days mid june and absolutly killed it with orange gulp worms either at the reeds or in front of marina by rocks, dead center. red power worms worked great too.

GOOD word. I'm hearing more that I need to try the red power worm ... the older - regular power worms, right? Got plenty of the Gulps to try ... in fact had some luck the last time on Gull ... just threading on a Mosquito 10 with a medium sshot

tpfishnfool
07-04-2010, 07:50 AM
"Brookie Hole" = big bows