PDA

View Full Version : Recon Mission ' To C & R a Corbina '

DockRat
06-09-2010, 07:09 AM
I was thinking how FNN seems to be a 'Corbina Free Website' :!!!:
Where are they ? I do realize that being a noobie here there must have been some posts in the past with some Corbina but I don't recall seeing a post this year.

WHY ???

More skill required or time on the sand needed ?

I haven't target them this year but have been thinking about it.

Sightings ? Anybody seen them ?

Anthony's Striper post had me recall some big toad Corbina he had landed in the past. :Envious:

Three years back I went on a Corbina Mission 3 days a week, some skunk days, some of 16" to 18"
Biggest was 22" at Torrance. Bigger models at N OC :Secret:

To target Corbina one should be stealthy. :Secret:

It is not easy catching Corbina like getting Spotties in NPH :LOL:

More skill needed :LOL:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c123/RealKosh/fish_barrel.gif NPH :LOL:

All you wader guys can leave the waders at home :LOL:
Vinces buddy Jscib prefers barefoot, Surf Trunks with a pocket holding hooks, weights, sandcrabs.

Standing in the water is standing in the Cobina zone. One could scare less fish away by standing on the wet sand since they feed on sandcrabs in a foot of water or less or target sliders a little outside as they move up the beach.

Found some great pics on photobucket like this ' Slider '
If you were standing in the water this Croaker would be spooked.
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k211/LoboDMar/Misc%20surf%20shots%202007/ALQ_toad_web.jpg

3/8 - 1/2 - 3/4 ounce sliding egg depending on surf height to a bead then swivel.
18" leader of 4 lb flourocarbon is good way to go.
#4 or #6 wire hook, Owner ' Mosquito or Octopus ' hooks work good for sandcrabs.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f283/jtomson/corbina.jpg

This Fly Guy has the right hat on ' Go Dodgers ' Cool drawing too
http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz336/monkeefingers/corbina_july.jpg

Normally I would never put up a pic with a Yankee hat, but this fat pig bean is worthy.
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x78/somemyrrh/corbina.jpg

Who is the Corbina guys here ? Bones, Wingnut, Flngby, Fishshep, Dana ?

I'm ready to try a shot at these 'not easy to catch' Croakers.

Anyone else going to try to land one of these hard fighting sliders ?

Give us your input on these stealthy croakers.

Good Luck, DR

smokehound
06-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Corbina are my main target from june til sept. Last year i didnt find any larger fish til July though.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c177/smokehound/beanzilla.jpg
I caught this nice one last year-- Size 2 mosquito hook-- 6# test, and a tiny rubbercore sinker. That day was awesome. Kept catching 18-20 inch leos before and after the bean. Caught during low-tide, fairly large waves, over 6 feet at times.

Back-to-back sandcrabs are your friend 8)

BIGBASS MB
06-09-2010, 08:42 PM
ZUMA Beach last August 21"
Bloodworm, #8 mosquito hook and 1/4 oz sliding sinker on 6lb test...
MB

fishshep
06-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Caught a 22incher at Bolsa Chica less than a year ago.
First one I ever kept and ate, so no C& R for me anymore
when they get that size !!!

"I was thinking how FNN seems to be a 'Corbina Free Website' :!!!:
Where are they ? I do realize that being a noobie here there must have been some posts in the past with some Corbina but I don't recall seeing a post this year."

NOOOOOO, FNN is not a "Corb. free site," BUT it is a Halibut FULL site !!!

BrandonFish
06-09-2010, 10:11 PM
hit one off of seal beach pier 2 weeks ago at about 530 am around 20 inches first 1 ever. real strange he hit my bighammer 3 inch 1/4 oz.

jerryG
06-10-2010, 12:40 AM
Docrat- I saw you on the beach on Sunday. I was the guy fishing for halibut who pointed you in the direction of where I had seen a few corbina. You were on that spot for awhile. Any takers? As a child began targeting corbs in the surf back in the 70's. I caught my PB Corbina (28") in Alamitos Bay in Dec. of 88. I got my PB surf caught corbina (26")in June 2003. My pb Corb on an artificial (24.5") was caught in Oct 2004 on a 3/4 chrome prizm crocadile.

I used to fish with Anthony often for corbina. At times making the trip out from the SGV several times a week to target corbs exclusively (don't bother much with the perch). In 2004 we began throwiing LC for halibut and experienced an absolutely epic halibut bite that lasted for months. Corbina took the back seat at that point.

Jerryg

DockRat
06-10-2010, 07:04 AM
:Neutral: Wow, tough crowd. Making fun of NPH and Waders and No response :Argument: :Neutral:
http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz200/pepper2010_bucket/ignore.gif
Summer is here, too bad the water is still cold. Waders season will be extended into June this year.
Frickin 59 degrees at Pier 400 last week ? El Nino = El Vanisho
Big South Swell Please

http://i320.photobucket.com/albums/nn345/33apulia/042.jpg:Bug Eyes:

Is El Nino over ?

Corbina are my main target from june til sept. Back-to-back sandcrabs are your friend 8)

That is a nice Corb. I need to try again.

ZUMA Beach last August 21"
Bloodworm, #8 mosquito hook and 1/4 oz sliding sinker on 6lb test...
MB

21" is big. WTG

Caught a 22incher at Bolsa Chica less than a year ago.
First one I ever kept and ate, so no C& R for me anymore
when they get that size !!!

"I was thinking how FNN seems to be a 'Corbina Free Website' :!!!:
Where are they ? I do realize that being a noobie here there must have been some posts in the past with some Corbina but I don't recall seeing a post this year."

NOOOOOO, FNN is not a "Corb. free site," BUT it is a Halibut FULL site !!!

No kidding on the Halibut site. I think Wingnut is part owner of LC ?

hit one off of seal beach pier 2 weeks ago at about 530 am around 20 inches first 1 ever. real strange he hit my bighammer 3 inch 1/4 oz.

Hey Brandon you should have posted it up. WTG on a swimbait too.
When are you going to try for the Carp at LA River ?
At 7 pm they are boiling all over. I finally landed 1 fatty on corn.
4 trips for 1 C&R Carp

Docrat- I saw you on the beach on Sunday. I was the guy fishing for halibut who pointed you in the direction of where I had seen a few corbina. You were on that spot for awhile. Any takers? As a child began targeting corbs in the surf back in the 70's. I caught my PB Corbina (28") in Alamitos Bay in Dec. of 88. I got my PB surf caught corbina (26")in June 2003. My pb Corb on an artificial (24.5") was caught in Oct 2004 on a 3/4 chrome prizm crocadile.

I used to fish with Anthony often for corbina. At times making the trip out from the SGV several times a week to target corbs exclusively (don't bother much with the perch). In 2004 we began throwiing LC for halibut and experienced an absolutely epic halibut bite that lasted for months. Corbina took the back seat at that point.

Jerryg

Anthony has posted some big corbina years back on AC. I was stoked to see him here on FNN.
I worked on Sunday in Pedro all day. Been wearing a Team 57 hat lately like for like 3 months when fishing and 70's Vuarnet's.

You have landed some huge Corbina. :Applause: 28" is a Monster

Who will be the fist person to post up a Corbina in 2010 on FNN ?

Seems like Corbina act like there brothers, the White Sea Bass.
Sometimes they bite, sometimes they don't.
DR

smokehound
06-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Alamitos is a good place to search in winter, like jerryG said. Try over there. Most of seal beach produces too. I figure a nice plump ghostie in the bay should net you a bean.

Cangler
06-10-2010, 10:24 AM
:Seems like Corbina act like there brothers, the White Sea Bass.
DR

The buggers bite my toes , getting them to bite the bait is the hard part

Sharkbait
06-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Hey Jerry,
Want to fish on the 4th like old times? We can show FNN some Corbina & Halibut :D

jerryG
06-11-2010, 12:21 AM
Anthony,

I was going to ask you about the 4th let's go.. I will need to check with Ki but I should be able to get the beach pass for the morning. Must continue tradition...

JerryG

BrandonFish
06-11-2010, 10:19 PM
When are you going to try for the Carp at ?
At 7 pm they are boiling all over. I finally landed 1 fatty on corn.
4 trips for 1 C&R Carp
[/QUOTE]

next time ill make one for sure. you should delete **** =)
i havnt found the time yet gj on the carp how big was it?

jerryG
06-12-2010, 01:03 PM
:Neutral: Wow, tough crowd. Making fun of NPH and Waders and No response :Argument: :Neutral:
http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz200/pepper2010_bucket/ignore.gif
Summer is here, too bad the water is still cold. Waders season will be extended into June this year.
Frickin 59 degrees at Pier 400 last week ? El Nino = El Vanisho
Big South Swell Please

No kidding on the Halibut site. I think Wingnut is part owner of LC ?

Anthony has posted some big corbina years back on AC. I was stoked to see him here on FNN.
I worked on Sunday in Pedro all day. Been wearing a Team 57 hat lately like for like 3 months when fishing and 70's Vuarnet's.

You have landed some huge Corbina. :Applause: 28" is a Monster

Who will be the fist person to post up a Corbina in 2010 on FNN ?

Seems like Corbina act like there brothers, the White Sea Bass.
DR

Not sure if it was you I spoke to but I am sure that I spoke to the fly fisherman in your pictures wearing the LA Cap and shades. I do have a Team 57 cap however I wear sun mask. If you see a guy throwing lures on the beach that looks like a terrorist with a back pack you found me.
Corbina are lots of fun on light tackle. I used to follow their seasonal migrations and fish them in the river jetties and bays from mid fall through late spring. Of course the best time of the year for them is when they move up on the beaches in late spring and early summer to spawn and gorge on sand crabs. In the fall the vast majority begin migrating back in to the bays. There are always a few stragglers that remain along the beaches through out the year.

If you enjoy the challenge of targeting corbina on the beach then you should try targeting them in the bays. You will find that catching corbina on the beach is like shooting fish in a barrel in comparison to catching them in the bays.

JerryG

Swank909
06-12-2010, 03:33 PM

I'll vouch for this. It was a good size corbina, in the 22-23" range. He caught it off of the Seal Beach Peir fishing towards the sand at around 5:30, we were barely past the small breaker under the peir. It was on a 3" bighammer (red and green or something) with a 1/4" leadhead, really rare to get a corbina on a swimbait lol. We would have taken pictures but Brandon had thrown his camera off the docks at like 2am hahaha.

shoyuegg
06-12-2010, 04:04 PM
I C&R'd a nice corbina today at Bolsa Chica. Prob went 3-4 lbs. I contemplated bring it home to eat.

Wingnut
06-12-2010, 07:31 PM
I have yet to catch a Corbina "legally"... :LOL: I've snagged a couple on the LC but haven't fair hooked one. :Neutral: They are terrific fighters. The biggest Bean I've ever seen was the one that Mike (Bones) caught in the OC surf about a year ago. The thing was about 26" and hammered a 5" White Ice Zoom Fluke on the dropshot. We originally thought that he was hooked up to a White Sea Bass the way that it was pulling like a freight train. :Twisted:

Arthur (Wingnut)
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/tn-6-1.jpg