PDA

View Full Version : LA County Butt & Stripe

Sharkbait
06-07-2010, 08:36 AM
On Saturday 6-5, my wife and I went to the beach for a walk so of course I brought some gear. I've have been fishing freshwater for the last 5 months so this was going to be my first day back on the beach.
Fished for 2 hours for this 23'' Halibut :)
http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac287/Sharkbait_album/anthony.jpg
Sorry for the bad cell phone pic.
I also had a big butt get unbottoned some how after a 30 second fight.

On Sunday I headed back for a couple more hours. In the very same hole that I caught the Halibut the day before I caught this
http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac287/Sharkbait_album/_DeviceMemory_home_user_pictures-1.jpg
My first Surf Striper! Weighed 5lbs on the digital scale and is my PB Striper. I sent him free to grow bigger. After that I caught a 18in butt and 8in perch and went home happy. It felt good to fish my home beach again.
Anthony

beaner
06-07-2010, 09:07 AM
WOW way to go, a stripper in the surf!!!!!! thats a first, and a big surprise. Congrats!!!!!!!

blackberg
06-07-2010, 09:34 AM
nice !
-bb

Swank909
06-07-2010, 09:47 AM
Grats on the legal Hali! Way to go with the surf striper too haha, so weird!

Wingnut
06-07-2010, 11:15 AM
JerryG texted me your Striper pic on my drive home from Lake San Antonio yesterday. That is totally awesome!!! I've been trying to catch a Lineside out of the surf for quite sometime now. :Envious: Congrats on the ultra-rare feat! :Cool: Oh, and the legal Flattie too. :Big Grin:

Fishbones
06-07-2010, 04:45 PM
sweet double victory, congrats on the exotic surf species...this is gonna get wingnut all fired up .,.,.

bowler
06-07-2010, 05:20 PM
My first Surf Striper! Weighed 5lbs on the digital scale and is my PB Striper. I sent him free to grow bigger. After that I caught a 18in butt and 8in perch and went home happy. It felt good to fish my home beach again.
Anthony
well if you look up on Stripers there are found in the Surf not a much as there are on the east coast. Remember Stripers are a saltwater fish that came from the east coast they were planted in the Bay area years ago and that is why there are in are lakes that get there water from the Delta.

jerryG
06-08-2010, 01:50 AM
Congratulations on the amazing catch.. Well done my friend and certainly well deserved. You paid your dues many times over Anthony. Let me know when you can make it out again.

Jerryg

bsp
06-08-2010, 10:35 AM
well if you look up on Stripers there are found in the Surf not a much as there are on the east coast. Remember Stripers are a saltwater fish that came from the east coast they were planted in the Bay area years ago and that is why there are in are lakes that get there water from the Delta.

Up in Central and Northern CA they are much more common in the surf, and on occasion they get runs similar to East Coast style stripers due to the much heavier stocking San Francisco Bay received. People can solely target these fish and do very well. These fish are a huge rarity to catch down here in the SoCal surf though. Fry were planted in Newport Bay at some point (want to say the 80s but not sure), and that's where the stock comes from. They're breeding and several are caught each year but the numbers aren't there like up North.

Congrats on catching one of the rarest SoCal saltwater fish, and thanks for putting up a nice report! That's a solid legal too.

lalo56
06-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Nice striped bass from surf. Congrats...

2jackedLUNGS
06-08-2010, 03:38 PM
nice job on the striper!

Hometown
06-08-2010, 04:01 PM
great job 23 inch hali and top it off with a surf striper thanks for the C AND R SO WE ALL HAVE A CHANCE TO LAND THAT SPECIES OUT OF THE SO CAL SURF.

flyngby
06-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Ho Hum! Another not so uncommon Legal Flattie from the surf except this year with the shores being churned over and over! But to top it off with the Linesider from the surf here in Socal is "News at 10pm time" :EyePop:

Great time on the water and hopefully the first of many of that species that decide to come out and play with us in Socal!

Steve

jerryG
06-08-2010, 10:51 PM
Up in Central and Northern CA they are much more common in the surf, and on occasion they get runs similar to East Coast style stripers due to the much heavier stocking San Francisco Bay received. People can solely target these fish and do very well. These fish are a huge rarity to catch down here in the SoCal surf though. Fry were planted in Newport Bay at some point (want to say the 80s but not sure), and that's where the stock comes from. They're breeding and several are caught each year but the numbers aren't there like up North.

Congrats on catching one of the rarest SoCal saltwater fish, and thanks for putting up a nice report! That's a solid legal too.

I think you got it right BSP. If I'm not mistaken they were planted in Los Alamitos and Newport Harbors in 1982/ 1983.. I believe it has been difficult for stripers to take hold in Socal because there are no major river systems here like the Sacramento in the Bay Area or the rivers like those found along the East Coast. Stripers move up in to the rivers systems to spawn not like salmon but I know they do fluorish in river systems like the Sac and closer to home the Aquaduct also the Colorado river system as well. I have heard rumors in the past of stripers running in some of the local river outfall channels. It would be awesome if they actually took hold in Socal but for now it's cool to know there are a few around. Highly unlikely to cath one but you just never know.

Jerryg

DockRat
06-09-2010, 05:55 AM
Nice job Anthony. I was wondering how many legal halibut's you have landed off the beach over the years ?

I remember some 30"+ Halibuts on LC's you posted a years back.
Thanks for the post, DR

Jaysuuun
06-09-2010, 07:37 AM
Wow two quality fish in one day. WTG on the stripah.

murrieta angler
06-09-2010, 12:57 PM
BRAVO on the 2 nice fish!
Robert

bones
06-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Very Nice Job there dude!
That's a pair for the day that you will never forget!

Shhhhhhh though or uncle Bob is going to be in the surf with a 14ft G-Loomis tossing his striper setups :ROFL:

Ifishtoolittle
06-13-2010, 09:06 PM
What if and now what if Stripers were stocked in masses in Socal. Would any of you guys prefer them in the surf over Hali's?