PDA

View Full Version : Tradition 6/5/10

Jackpot Jimmy
06-06-2010, 03:39 PM
We headed out of King Harbor greeted with your typical June weather, en route north in search of the elusive GAR. Stevo had found some on Friday and said they lost quite a few to get two on the boat, but the spot he found looked pretty good. So, I rigged up my Super Seeker 90M with a mint green and white Salas 7X.

We scanned the coast all the way up to Malibu, and all we saw was dolphin pushing up schools of bait. Stevo wanted to try some drifts first thing out deep, so I rigged up my diamond jig/shrimp fly combo on my Super Seeker 809 with spectra. The rockfish had lockjaw and only a few sand dabs and lizardfish were caught. Stevo didn’t want to waste any time, so we headed in to the beach for my favorite type of fishing, structure sand bass fishing!

The current was running pretty fast uphill, which made it hard to locate the rock at first, but after repositioning the boat, we found it and started catching a couple. Still, the current made conditions weird, so we headed down the beach to another spot.

The next spot held a lot of cinnamon rockfish and smaller sculpin, with only a couple bass here and there. My friend Bill and I were fishing our rigs with spectra, which let us feel every little tap of a fish and every little bump of the stone down below. The cinnamons and sculpin were simply tapping a little harder than perch and all you had to do was start winding, and they were on there. The bass were attacking pretty hard, and once you hooked it, you knew you had a bass.

We moved on to another spot, and we managed to get some more bass. We then started to have a flurry with the smaller bat rays, which got the blood pumping for a bit. The bass weren’t quite on the chew, but the excitement of hooking one as well as the constant cinnamon and sculpin bites kept things interesting. There were also a few things caught in ways of exotics, as a couple guys got some fat rubberlip perch.

Stevo then wanted to make one last sweep looking for the GAR, but there was a ton of boat traffic. So, we made one last stop for bass, and this spot held some really jumbo sculpin, and they bit for about a 10 minute period, and then the bite died. We were just about to head home when I managed to get my last fish of the day, a nice calico bass. Stevo did an excellent job today even though the barracuda pulled the slip. Fishing spectra for that structure sand bass fishing really makes a difference and come next winter, that’s going to be my main go-to rig for this type of fishing.

My dad and I also headed out on twilight. Captain John Petrov had a pretty good count last week of 25 bass for seven guys. We fished hard bottom spots and a couple structure spots, but the bass weren’t quite eager to bite. I managed to get two nice sand bass on a ¾ ounce leadhead with a glow-in-the-dark mogambo tipped with squid strips. I’ve always enjoyed summertime twilight fishing, and the season’s only beginning, so fishing only has to pick up as the summer starts and goes on. Great times, great fishing!

Bill with his two pound, 14 ounce, FAT sculpin.
http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/006-39.jpg

Jerry with another nice sculpin.
http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/007-30.jpg

Nice Rubberlip Perch
http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/008-25.jpg

JapanRon
06-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Hi JackpotJimmy,

Sounds like a tough day and lots of fuel burned but gotta appreciate the effort of the crew. Very nice Sculpin.

Looks like we're gonna have a bout of red tide to add to all the other bs our fishery has been subjected too recently !!

JapanRon

bassyakker
06-06-2010, 04:05 PM
nice sculpins. Hope the scooters show up for you guys.