PDA

View Full Version : Long Beach oil islands 6/5

ryryk
06-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Wow what a day! Got on a friend of a friends boat today, which was me and my GF first time out on the ocean fishing.
We had sardines from the barge all day and had some early action followed by a decent grand finale.
First spot we leave the. Channel and hang a left to what he called "Anderson".
We all bait up and throw em out. My gf was flylining hers and within a few minutes she's pointing and getting excited about something.
I look and see what looked to be a jumping eel ....holy s#1+ ! There's a thresher shark trying to slap her bait and giving it chase.! It was a cool thing to see.
Then! We get swarmed by bat rays!. One rod snaps in the rod holder! The fish grabbed the bait and ran under the boat. Snapped like a twig.
My girlfriend hands me her rod because it starts screeming and lines going out Big fish!
that was a nice gift from her... Never have fought a fish that big or tough. Gave it a go for about ten minutes and it pops off.
Our buddy had hooked up by then as well... Two times around the boat with a dinky little rod he finally brings it so we can see it. Few more cranks and it popped off. Bummer but exciting.

So we skip over to the islands and fish around there for the rest of the time. My gf and I beat the skunk and so did the driver with a calico each. That was the finale.
I hooked into a nice fish while we were there. I think it was a barracuda, bc my line busted and when I got it in the leader was like 3" shorter. Something with teeth.
it was a blast and I want to do it again soon.
I will try to get pics up soon.

Tight lines

fisherman from long beach
06-05-2010, 10:28 PM
i was out around that area today and it was a hella of a day,got the checker fish that i was lookin for and my cousin got his pb cabezon.great day on the water for sure

ryryk
06-06-2010, 12:18 AM
i was out around that area today and it was a hella of a day,got the checker fish that i was lookin for and my cousin got his pb cabezon.great day on the water for sure

Sweet maybe u saw us... 19ft whaler black canopy..me my girl and 3 other guys.

Sorry if we got in anyones way today by the way. The captain only has one arm and we r pretty much noobs.

fisherman from long beach
06-06-2010, 01:05 PM
Sweet maybe u saw us... 19ft whaler black canopy..me my girl and 3 other guys.

Sorry if we got in anyones way today by the way. The captain only has one arm and we r pretty much noobs.

well we where in the area,but worked most of the wall on the out side.

flyngby
06-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Sounds like some great time on the water! Hopefully the return will produce even better!

Steve

murrieta angler
06-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Nice job out there Ryan.
Cool that you took your Gf, but next time hand the rod back to her and let her try to get the big one in.
Thanks for the report,
Robert

now that I re-read that, by no means was I being disrespectful. <><

ryryk
06-09-2010, 02:08 PM
Oh ur fine robert no disrespect taken.
My girl will out fish me one day. After this trip I think she's into It even more.
Hopefully next time we can get some live chovies and own. I've already researched the islands out there and hope to
Find some structure to anchor on.