PDA

View Full Version : avila pier june 5th

madwire3
06-05-2010, 06:49 PM
havent ever fished this pier but stopped there today with a couple friends so while they did some walking and such i fished, first weekend of the summer the beach was packed but the pier wasnt bad at all only 2-3 others fishing, and very little foot traffic, slow bite but still managed a bunch of jack smelt and something bigger dropped the hook.. was a good couple hours, better then a skunk for sure, i do believe jacksmelts are a new one for me dont think i ever got one before, one guy said they where large ones too but eh dunno seemed pretty big couple of em maybe a lb dunno hard to judge not used to long skinny fish anyways had fun wanna go back for bigger feesh

cutbait
06-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Good report MW... Love seeing the avila action.

Those jacks run about 1lb, 2lbsss

Taking my boys up to cayucos next week and try for some sharks. Going perching in San Simeon and maybe some rockfish.

Will put up a report

madwire3
06-05-2010, 07:42 PM
ah nice,, i soooo wanna get a shark i asked for advice on the general board but no responces, not sure if what i have would even cut it for smaller sharks 3 feet or smaller, definately wanna try though, my buddy wants to get a pole for sharks too but neither of us know what to aim for and his funds are like mine right now, very slimmmmm so hes been watching yardsales but no luck, i sooo wanna get my first shark this year

cutbait
06-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Just a 25 dollar walmart special will work for those small sharks

madwire3
06-06-2010, 07:28 AM
just grab one of the bigger spinning combos? what lb line would ya recommend? i have 25 on the penn 350

cutbait
06-06-2010, 08:10 AM
That will work, but how well can you cast it? I assume its on a short ocean rod? You wanna be able to get it away from the pier a ways

25lb is fine

madwire3
06-06-2010, 08:30 AM
how far out ? i think the rods 6.5 or 7 foot, biggg ugly stick, i can cast it a lil just needing more practice..

cutbait
06-06-2010, 09:27 AM
100ft or so. Underhand cast though. Cant make a full swing cast on piers

madwire3
06-06-2010, 03:16 PM
haha yeah doubt i could cast 100 foot with that heavy sucker just yet and even after practice doubt ill get 100 feet out,, do u use wire leaders or just standard line? sorry for all the questions i just wanna be prepared if i get the chance to go soon

smokehound
06-06-2010, 04:30 PM
I think the no overhead cast rule is fair. Especially when this one prick tried to powercast, lost his sinker, and it slammed down one foot next to me. (4 oz sinker!) Besides, you can cast just as far as an overhead anyway...