PDA

View Full Version : Huntington Beach Pier, Wednesday, July 18th

smokehound
07-18-2007, 09:34 PM
Well, as usual i fished this area alone, met some nice people that gave me some bait :) One guy gave me the rest of his anchovies, another guy gave me his squid.

Ive got to say that this was the roughest pier day ive ever had.

Usually i catch hundreds of topsmelt and jacksmelt in an 8 hour fishing session. I only caught two topsmelt, and a grunion (released)

Sadly the prices at the pier are evidently prone to inflation, hell let me rephrase this.. price gouging. On june 30th, during the grunion run, lugworms were eleven dollars. Today they were eight dollars.

And for some weird reason the manager of the bait shop was very insistant on targetting barracuda.

Well anywho, it wasnt a bad day at all, despite the poor catch.

I saw hundreds of dolphins everywhere, and even a bald eagle, which i suspect is from the catalina island breeding pair.

With all these signs, im sure this fall will be an epic fishing season.

So ze total was

1 mackerel, 2 topsmelt, and one Grunion. The mackerel wasnt even pan sized :lol: The frozen mack i bought was bigger.

Fishing alone sucks sometimes ._. Especially when you cant have someone watch your stuff while youve got to pee, catch sand crabs, etc.

jplee3
07-19-2007, 07:30 AM
Well, as usual i fished this area alone, met some nice people that gave me some bait :) One guy gave me the rest of his anchovies, another guy gave me his squid.

Ive got to say that this was the roughest pier day ive ever had.

Usually i catch hundreds of topsmelt and jacksmelt in an 8 hour fishing session. I only caught two topsmelt, and a grunion (released)

Sadly the prices at the pier are evidently prone to inflation, hell let me rephrase this.. price gouging. On june 30th, during the grunion run, lugworms were eleven dollars. Today they were eight dollars.

And for some weird reason the manager of the bait shop was very insistant on targetting barracuda.

Well anywho, it wasnt a bad day at all, despite the poor catch.

I saw hundreds of dolphins everywhere, and even a bald eagle, which i suspect is from the catalina island breeding pair.

With all these signs, im sure this fall will be an epic fishing season.

So ze total was

1 mackerel, 2 topsmelt, and one Grunion. The mackerel wasnt even pan sized :lol: The frozen mack i bought was bigger.

Fishing alone sucks sometimes ._. Especially when you cant have someone watch your stuff while youve got to pee, catch sand crabs, etc.

Sorry to hear :( That stinks man. $8 for freaaaaking worms? What a rip. That's a total disservice to fishermen :evil:

amskater
07-19-2007, 10:00 AM
what hours were you there?

smokehound
07-19-2007, 03:24 PM
I was there from 9 am to 5 pm. And to add insult to injury ive got a horrible sunburn. :lol: Oh well.. Thats how you know you love fishing!

bigfishlittlefish
07-19-2007, 10:45 PM
I was there from 9 am to 5 pm. And to add insult to injury ive got a horrible sunburn. :lol: Oh well.. Thats how you know you love fishing!Hey, quit complaining. At least u got to spend ur 9 to 5 fishing. As they say, the worst day fishing is better than... :lol:

Sorry to hear about ur sunburn. Next time, wear a 5 foot diameter sombrero or put on some 45s.

BTW, u must have some bladder control if ur able to hold it for over 8 hrs.

bflf

smokehound
07-20-2007, 01:20 AM
I was there from 9 am to 5 pm. And to add insult to injury ive got a horrible sunburn. :lol: Oh well.. Thats how you know you love fishing!Hey, quit complaining. At least u got to spend ur 9 to 5 fishing. As they say, the worst day fishing is better than... :lol:

Sorry to hear about ur sunburn. Next time, wear a 5 foot diameter sombrero or put on some 45s.

BTW, u must have some bladder control if ur able to hold it for over 8 hrs.

bflfMy bladder is greatly pleased. Check the snow on mt baldy for it's thank you. I dont use sunscreen when i fish, i never catch fish when i use sunscreen.

FishermanStu
07-20-2007, 01:55 AM

bflf

dude where do you get a five foot sombrero. i would dig one of those.