PDA

View Full Version : Bishop/Rock Creek 5/31-6/3/10

nellkev
06-05-2010, 12:13 AM
Fishing has not been as good the last few years but the scenery remains as breathtaking as ever. We had a smooth drive with everyone heading the other direction home from the Memorial weekend and the Bishop Mule days festivities. Traditionally we stop at the Ranch House for breakfast that never disappoints but the motor homes, trucks and cars were parked down the highway so we decided to stop in Lone Pine. What used to be PJ's and was good eats has hit rock bottom and is off our list for the yearly trips. We camped at Four Jeffery’s in the bishop creek valley the first two nights. Our campsite was next to the stream with deer visits one night. Fishing was fair around camp where we CR a couple of small stockers. I think we both used woollies for the catch and tried eggs. The next morning we fished intake two without any luck then headed for Sabrina but it was low and mostly frozen so it was off to North lake where I CR a small brown. The following day we fished the stream on the way up to South lake then hiked down in mostly snow to the South lakes closest inlet where we caught a couple of fish each on worms. We kept the ones that swallowed the hooks for dinner. They were yum fried in bacon fat. South lake was about 75% frozen but open at the inlet where we fished. It was an awesome sight. Wednesday we packed up and headed for Rock Creek hoping for more fish action. We stopped at Lower Rock Creek to only find a few nibbles and quick releases. It was getting a little warm so we headed up to Pine Grove. Kyle caught one and slipped on a rock. I guess the water was cold cause when I got back to the truck pants and socks were drying in the sun. We drove up to the lake to check it out. It was about 50% frozen so we decided we would come back in the morning before heading home. The plan was to camp at French Camp but on the way back down I pulled in to Big Meadow to check it out. The crew from the campground stopped and asked if we were staying. I told him we were just checking it out since I've never stayed there. He asked how we were doing fishing and I told him not great. He said they stocked Alpers there but we had to stay in order to fish. Sounded good to me so we picked a spot. They must have just dumped a load of stockers because there was a school of them just sitting in one spot. Kyle would have nothing to do with them but I wanted to see if they would bite or at least break up the pack. They wanted nothing to do with eggs but hit the woollies. I CR two and mostly broke up the pack so all was good. We never saw any Alpers but supposedly they were there incognito. There are some nice deep pools and huge rocks in this stretch of the creek. One rock is about 15 foot square that must have slid down the mountain a million years ago. It must be famous for rock climbing training because people were on it all day long. I was able to pull out a nice fat 13 inch stocker that will be a future dinner and reminder of good times. The next morning we headed to the lake to see if the fish had thawed out. I caught one small holdover with half a lip. That must be one tough fish so it was set free to live another day. The ice started closing in on us and it was time to pack up and head home for the graduation ceremonies. We stopped at the Ranch House for lunch. Like I said before that place never disappoints. Looking forward to the next visit to my yearly slice of heaven.

SierraPeaks
06-05-2010, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the report.
Personally, my favorite breakfast spot in Bishop is Jack's. I look forward to the going home breakfast almost as much as getting up to the Sierras to begin with.

billy b
06-05-2010, 09:01 AM
Which one is PJ's ... or used to be? Is that the one just west of 395 on the North side of the street ... or am I thinking of Bishop?

Jacks is my favorite because md daddy took me there when I was a pup. Can anybody remember when the cash register used to be over in the far left corner, with it's back to the tackle shop?

I can take a wise crack or two ... hit me up!

nellkev
06-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the report.
Personally, my favorite breakfast spot in Bishop is Jack's. I look forward to the going home breakfast almost as much as getting up to the Sierras to begin with.

Hi SierraPeaks,
Thanks for the post. Jack's is a great spot as well. If I wasn't so hungry I would have drove further and waited to eat at in Bishop. As it was the time spent waiting for the food and them trying to jack the ticket prices up higher than the menu prices I'll starve before stopping there again.

nellkev
06-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Which one is PJ's ... or used to be? Is that the one just west of 395 on the North side of the street ... or am I thinking of Bishop?

Jacks is my favorite because md daddy took me there when I was a pup. Can anybody remember when the cash register used to be over in the far left corner, with it's back to the tackle shop?

I can take a wise crack or two ... hit me up!

Hi billy b,
Thanks for the post. I don't want to post the name of the dive although you may know the place if you had been there before. It's on the east side of 395 in Lone Pine with a great view of Mt Whitney. That's all it has going for it now.
My son and I have been fishing the Sierras since he was two. He is 23 now. We both look forward to the yearly trip. It's priceless and I consider myself lucky. Nothing better than father son fishing bonding time.

SierraPeaks
06-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Hi billy b,
Thanks for the post. I don't want to post the name of the dive although you may know the place if you had been there before. It's on the east side of 395 in Lone Pine with a great view of Mt Whitney. That's all it has going for it now.
My son and I have been fishing the Sierras since he was two. He is 23 now. We both look forward to the yearly trip. It's priceless and I consider myself lucky. Nothing better than father son fishing bonding time.

LOL...I know exactly what you're talking about. I stopped there last year for breakfast at 5:30 a.m. First I had to wait for the cook to show up...then I gave my order to the waitress who spoke very little english. I ordered steak and eggs...medium rare and over easy.
What I got was huevos rancheros.
Apparently the cook doesn't speak english either.
I ate it...but I'll never go there again.

billy b
06-05-2010, 04:19 PM
It used to be "the place" in Lone Pine and was the " ___ ___ Cafe" at one time?

nellkev
06-05-2010, 06:54 PM
Yes, it is still the "___ ___ Cafe" and it doesn't start with Alabama. It was PJ's before that and we stopped there several times over the years. Here is a link but keep it on the down low. http://www.dowvillamotel.com/food.html

billy b
06-06-2010, 07:55 AM
Oops ... maybe

I was thinking of the Lone Pine Cafe ... which was a great watering hole ... if you couldn't waith to e or p in Bishop

Been a few years I know

SierraPeaks
06-06-2010, 09:11 AM
Yes, it is still the "___ ___ Cafe" and it doesn't start with Alabama. It was PJ's before that and we stopped there several times over the years. Here is a link but keep it on the down low. http://www.dowvillamotel.com/food.html

That would be it !!

John Harper
06-08-2010, 12:42 PM
Do you know if the trail at Mosquito Flats is open? I doubt it is but I have a couple friends headed that way next week and they are hoping to get up to Chicken Foot Lake. I told her I think it's still snowpacked but I would try to find out.

John Harper

nellkev
06-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Do you know if the trail at Mosquito Flats is open? I doubt it is but I have a couple friends headed that way next week and they are hoping to get up to Chicken Foot Lake. I told her I think it's still snowpacked but I would try to find out.

John Harper

Thanks for posting John, hope this reply isn't too late and helps. We drove past RC lake up towards mosquito flats in order to get a good look at the lake then turned around. The road was open. There was a fair amount of snow around the lake that we hiked through so I would guess that there will be some good patches of snow for several more weeks up higher. I read a report from Smitty (Parchers Resort) that the ice had cleared from South Lake. If South Lake is clear I would guess that the Chicken Foot Lake would be mostly clear of ice. The fish are hungry when it opens up they just move a little slower so they should have some good fishing. The hike may be a challenge but should be doable.