PDA

View Full Version : recommendations??

rcfb73
04-19-2007, 05:49 PM
after seeing the reports from this board about tubing the salt water...and that trout season is coming to an end....and a burning itch to spend money, im more than likely gonna invest in some tubing gear. got my mind pretty much set on what tube and such i wanna get, but the only thing im intrested in is a new rod/reel setup for the salt.

im looking for a decent conventional reel setup...leaning towards the shimano corvalus...but what type of rod should i pair with it? any other recommendations or info will be greatly appreciated.

(intrested in levelwinds as this will be my first conventional reel)

thanks

Funjunkie74
04-19-2007, 09:33 PM
To get really useful advise, always include your financial situation.
There are $10 rods and $100 rods that will land fish.
But the differences are too many!

So how much are you looking to spend for the whole thing?

rcfb73
04-19-2007, 11:51 PM
ya thats true...forgot about that.

im pretty set that im more than likely gonna get the corvelus (or cardiff if i have a sudden impulse)

just looking for good rod to pair up with the reel...not looking to spend more than 50-70....anything lower will also be considered.

n1ckxlam
04-20-2007, 12:49 AM
hrmm with that reel i would recomend a 10-20lb range rod or one step lighter. the height, between 6 and 7, i prefer 6'6 or 7.
Shimano makes good rods i would recommend the clarus, crucial, and the carbomax.
Daiwa makes cheaper rods that have stiffer action than the shimanos. I recommend the procaster, and the megaforce. A lot of backbone that is also well balanced in these rods, but the warranty sucks.
Fenwick makes a nice one called the Venture, its really flexible and casts well, not that much backbone though.
Abu Garcia has a tournament graphite series rod that also has backbone, but its balanced more towards the end of the rod.
Shakespeare actually has some new graphite casting rods that would match well.
Berkley has a Lightning series for heavy freshwater stuff thats got a good kick.
Quantum has a few graphite series. Harmonic and the Affinity.

Most people here would recommend the shimano for your price range.
I like daiwa, but its personal preference. Take a look at those for starters i guess, shop around and ull find one that fits ur preference.

Nick