PDA

View Full Version : long beach oil rigs first timers -help!

ryryk
06-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Hey fellas! I got invited on a boat with an old buddy of mine. This is his 2nd time.. My first and the driver has limited fishing gear. I have the most experience fishing but not from a boat.
Last weekend they caught a few barrys and a sandie on live sardines.
What's the best way to fish live bait? What rig and hook size should I use? Also plan on bringing some BH swimmies.

Let me know what u guys think. Thanks in advance!

Fishbones
06-04-2010, 11:57 AM
If the cudas are on the surface nose hook the sardines using a 2/0 hook and flyline (no weight)them.

If there mid depth you can use a 3/4oz sliding sinker, or use a leader and swivel and carolina rig them.

that set up will work for the sandies too. You never mentioned what size line you had?

ryryk
06-04-2010, 12:35 PM
My poles r 7ft medium action with 10# floro on them.

Nessie Hunter
06-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Live bait....
Fly line or use Carolina Keeper with sliding egg weights.. Works great & easy rig..

I like the Swimmies & Gulp on leadheads.. Get some Unibutter, its Killer out there!!!

Live bait & Cuda's dont play well together on 10#, they bite right through it. Go at least 15/20# + for them...
But its fine for the Bass....
Split the diff if on 1 rod/rig, and use 15/17#....

By the way, dont be surprised if you get run off the rigs by Harbor patrol, they have been keeping an eye on the rigs and your supposed to stay 50/100 yrds away?????? The workers and/or crew boats will call on you also..

ryryk
06-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Scratch that... I guess the spot is the "oil islands" off the 72nd pl. Jetty. I'm assuming. Ill use the same rig .... Hope to catch a huge flattie cuz I heard the grunion are coming !
Any other tips since ill be inshore-ish.?

Thanks

Fishbones
06-04-2010, 09:04 PM
big halibut, sandbass and sculpin.....good luck!