PDA

View Full Version : taking young'uns to DVL in the AM.....advice if you have it.

castone001
06-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Taking two young boys ages 5 and 6 to the lake for their first fishing experience. Any advice on where and what to use for the best shot at success.

Thinking boat for half a day but maybe just shore?

any and all help appreciated!

Fisherman57
06-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Lot's of info available by reading other DVL reports in this forum....
However, it will help others to offer better advice if they know what species of fish you intend on targeting.

Should be a real BURNER out there this weekend, high 90's ......... so bring water, sunscreen and stay hydrated!
http://www.weather.com/weather/weekend/USCA0476

TrouTracker
06-04-2010, 11:50 AM
To Castone- First, DVL is a very challenging lake. Just it's size is a little intimidating. But, there are several great areas to fish in this lake. My suggestion would be to get a half-day basic bass boat. Head over to Last Chance B&T in Hemet to get up to the minute information on what's happening on the water. They are extremely in touch with DVL, as they fish it all of the time. They'll gladly help you with locations and the right tackle for the species of fish that you are looking for. For younger kids, I'd pack them a nice lunch with plenty of water. It's starting to get really hot out on the water and you need to be prepared, especially with kids. Good luck and remember to be patient.
Barry A. Ogawa

Fishbones
06-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Hey castone001,

Barry "TrouTracker" pretty much summed it up with everything you need to know and be ready to hit the jewel.

Good luck and take lots of pics.

pho boy
06-04-2010, 12:30 PM
check ur pm. bring suntan lotion and a big beach umbrella there a hole on the boat stick that beach umbrella in there if the wind is not blowing . remember to take out the umbrella when u are crusing around . bring lots of water i freeze my water bottle at night and bring with me . gl have fun

castone001
06-04-2010, 12:46 PM
First!! My apologies for being DUMB poster :) I definately KNOW BETTER!

I was thinking since they are younguns and will get bored easy and also want the first trip to be hopefully memorable,
Easier species.....Bluegill? Then perhaps TRout? its worth a shot anyhow.

Second!!

Thank you all for the replies and GREAT info I definately appreciate it and will return the favor!

Pho: got your pm's THANKS!

I will post pics IF we get lucky! You all have a GREAT weekend.

Chris

CALFISHER4EVR
06-04-2010, 06:38 PM
Sent U a pm.

viperman100
06-04-2010, 09:29 PM
looks like you got some great advice already, just wanted to discourage you from trying the shore with they young kids, I took my son out Memorial Day and the trail is very difficult to get through, he's 12 and kinda short for his age but even I had a tough time with it, because it is not maintained at all. Definatly get the boat and take the advice given by those who fish the lake more regularly than I do.

As far as fishing advice one thing I can add is, if you have a two pole stamp, do what i did and get a frozen mackrel, any time we stopped to fish for bass I tossed a piece out and let it sit while we worked the cove for bass, and wouldnt you know, we came home with two catfish just around the 4lbs. mark. Good luck and have fun.

Lightlinejohn
06-05-2010, 06:31 PM
You must rent a boat. Stay with 6 lb Test Line. Take Nightcrawlers, meal worms and or crickets. Pinch on a small split shot to the kids line in order that they can throw out the bait. Light spin cast tackel is best for kids. Start out at the Stairs on the East Dam. Blue Gill will be shallow. Fish both sides of the stairs from 3' to 15'. If catching small blue gill, move to the next stair. Stay away from brush as the kids will get hung up. No fun! Hook the night crawlers in the head on a short shanked hood. Work the stairs. You will catch Blue gill, Crappie, bass and an occasional Cat Fish. I have taken many of the young boys out in my neighborhood. This method never fails. Remember, work as many Stairs and you can.

JohnMarino
06-05-2010, 07:30 PM
My grandfather took out a 9 year old girl out to DVL and she caught 15 LMB all by herself! Splitshot a 4" Robo curly tail on 5lb maxima or 4-6lb fluorocarbon and drag em over spots. Stay on the trolling motor so their bait is in the strike zone and that kid better hold ON! If you try it too, YOU better hold on! lol I think the bass fishing is easyer then Gill fishing right now, unless you anchor on a point and fish for striper with cut bait.

castone001
06-06-2010, 07:53 AM
Thanks ALL for the great advice!! You guys made two kids first time fishing a great day!!

WE had a blast and the kids all caught numerous albeit smaller bluegills and an OK crappie. No keepers but memories to last a lifetime. They are ready to go out again!!