PDA

View Full Version : king harbor 06-04-10

E.A.R.G.
06-04-2010, 12:16 AM
so i guess this story starts a few weeks ago, i went to go spool up some new line at the tackle shop I go to. I usually only use maxima and p-line. what good are bites if your lines break right?
owner pitches me on this new line he got in from japan. He says its great. You mean the one over in this special clearance section? Yah he says. Those are the last ones, I put them there because the rest sold so fast and these are all I have. Picked up a spool, 656 yards of 3 lb test.
took it to king harbor to do some perch fishing off the rocks.
MOST TERRIBLE line I have EVER used.
LEAST abrasion resistant.
LEAST stretch (the thing just breaks)
LEAST knot strength
LEAST overall strength.
I was breaking off left and right on PERCH! at first I was confused as to why I was losing fish. Then I pulled on the leader line... snap. Pulled a little higher... snap. Snap snap snap. And I'm no incredible hulk. Incredible yes. but not hulk.

Decided to call it quits after many frustrating break offs. While I was fishing I noticed the group of 15 or so mexicans next to me doing a lot of swinging and missing. As I was packing up I see them reel something in. walk over. Lobster.
20 or so poles out. all of them snag lines. None of them speak English. Stashing lobsters into backpacks.

Get aways from the rock a bit, call we tip, guy says no wardens on duty cause.. get this... lakers game. puahah...
Anyways, they saw me call, they don't speak english but they understood "lobster... season... short... snag" pretty well. They give me a dirty look and take off. oh well.

skunko for me. felt robbed by the turd burglar that sold me "best line" for a profit margin. saw short lobster being snagged.

at least I made it out on the water

i'll get em next time. snaggers and fish!

Fishbones
06-04-2010, 12:34 AM
wow, eric.,.,.,.,what a day bro!!! too bad the warden didnt get those poachers,argh!!!

Bro,.,. ive been in the same situation before with crappy line....ocean trip, junk 20lb that snapped every hook set....so frustrating,,,

Lets hit up the wall bro,

2jackedLUNGS
06-04-2010, 12:36 AM
damn poachers, hate those fools. at least you tried to do the right thing, theyll get theirs soon.

DockRat
06-04-2010, 06:50 AM
Hey Eric was that the main breakwall ? If so how far out on the jetty ? I'll keep a eye out.
They snag on the Horse Shoe too. I called DFG on them last year and 'No Show'

Cal-TIP
Californians Turn in Poachers and Polluters
1 888 DFG-CALTIP(888 334-2258)

trollmiester
06-04-2010, 07:17 AM
call redondo pd they will respond.hermosa and manhattan beach call dfg only.

fisherman from long beach
06-04-2010, 07:19 AM
wow, eric.,.,.,.,what a day bro!!! too bad the warden didnt get those poachers,argh!!!

Bro,.,. ive been in the same situation before with crappy line....ocean trip, junk 20lb that snapped every hook set....so frustrating,,,

Lets hit up the wall bro,i remember the crappy line alex, when i was catchin all da fish in the monark.thats when you knocked out that mystery fish with the hook set and drove him into the side of the boat,priceless.lmao,when the rendeavu at the wall im there!

bsp
06-04-2010, 08:39 AM
Dude, I've been working at the SEA Lab for community service the past few weeks, and I know we can do something about the poachers. That's bull that they would pull that, and I hope they get what they deserve. Like others have said, Redondo pd and the harbor patrol will respond to those calls if you call Redondo Beach police. I know they're strict on illegal fishing there.

madwire3
06-04-2010, 09:31 AM
cal tip has always been worthless for me, ive only called like 3 times and 2 where no shows the other they came 3 hours later and hassled me... wtf??? i wasnt doing anything wrong the pachers left a big mess where they where fishing and the guy was trying to put it on me, went through all my stuff made me pull in my lines to check em and all that after i explained i was the one who called,, tax dollars at work on a bunch of nothing

E.A.R.G.
06-04-2010, 10:01 AM

Lets hit up the wall bro,

haha yah dude. its kinda funny when you type about it, but when you're busting off every bite it gets pretty frustrating

Hey Eric was that the main breakwall ? If so how far out on the jetty ? I'll keep a eye out.
They snag on the Horse Shoe too. I called DFG on them last year and 'No Show'

Cal-TIP
Californians Turn in Poachers and Polluters
1 888 DFG-CALTIP(888 334-2258)

It was actually to the right of the short sportfishing pier on this mini rock jetty that sticks out. on my way back, I saw another group of snag liners out by joes crab shack. if you go to the long pier, they are there everyyy night. guaranteed.

call redondo pd they will respond.hermosa and manhattan beach call dfg only.
you got a number for the redondo police?I googled it and found a few, not sure which one to call. pretty sure I don't want to be dialing 911. I was actually asking the warden if I should call the police and he said it was a lost cause.

Dude, I've been working at the SEA Lab for community service the past few weeks, and I know we can do something about the poachers. That's bull that they would pull that, and I hope they get what they deserve. Like others have said, Redondo pd and the harbor patrol will respond to those calls if you call Redondo Beach police. I know they're strict on illegal fishing there.

you wouldn't by any chance know the number for them?

cal tip has always been worthless for me, ive only called like 3 times and 2 where no shows the other they came 3 hours later and hassled me... wtf??? i wasnt doing anything wrong the pachers left a big mess where they where fishing and the guy was trying to put it on me, went through all my stuff made me pull in my lines to check em and all that after i explained i was the one who called,, tax dollars at work on a bunch of nothing

haha now now, they're not entirely worthless. They had a legitimate excuse this time, who would want to miss the lakers game?

Fisherman57
06-04-2010, 12:32 PM
you wouldn't by any chance know the number for them?

As Trolly stated above, Redondo PD does respond to poaching complaints.....

Phone number for non-emergency services 24 hours daily:
310-379-2477 extension 1-2351

Phone numbers for emergency services and to dispatch officers for assistance, to report a crime or to document a crime: Dial 9-1-1 or call (310) 379-5411

Fishbones
06-04-2010, 12:34 PM
i remember the crappy line alex, when i was catchin all da fish in the monark.thats when you knocked out that mystery fish with the hook set and drove him into the side of the boat,priceless.lmao,when the rendeavu at the wall im there!

that day sucked and i blame myself for pirating that cheap old line from a reel in my drawer.....dumb move...

haha yah dude. its kinda funny when you type about it, but when you're busting off every bite it gets pretty frustrating

frusterating is an understatment eric its something that can ruin your day fishing.....lol

LateFisher
06-04-2010, 02:02 PM
This is another reason we need to support the govenor of arizona !!!!!!!!!!!!!

elevated
06-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Sucks about the line, sorry man. I hate seeing the poaching too, frustrating. I now will call redondo PD for poaching there.

Fishbones
06-04-2010, 08:48 PM
This is another reason we need to support the govenor of arizona !!!!!!!!!!!!!

just an FYI, mexicians are not the only race out there poaching the lobster,

so your comment about supporting the govenor of arizona was unnecessary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DockRat
06-05-2010, 08:13 AM
Ghetto Alex, That is the hand launch jetty. Tried hooping the short pier twice for nada.

Seems like the snaggers work the Horseshoe pier the most.
I worked at Castaganolas on the pier in high school in 1977, before the pier burned down.

I think they give POACHERS a FREE PASS it Redondo. It is too long of a walk for lazy agents.

just an FYI, mexicians are not the only race out there poaching the lobster,

Very true Alex, but when it comes to Redondo Poachers, the 10 + times I've seen poaching on Redondo pier it has always been hispanics. I called or tried to call 3 times on my lunch break yesterday on 2 Asians digging small clams in a reserve near OC.

This lady had a bucket of clams and spoke No English. Vietnam looking or Cambodian ?

What ever happened to Jon Apothaker ? The Black Sea Bass killer on Balboa pier.

2/13/10 UPDATE: Jon went to Venice Beach and gave away more T-shirts for free to locals to educate them about the Black Sea Bass!

3/2/10 UPDATE: Jon gave away more six T-shirts to "Avet Reels Factory" and mailed three more to "Hubbs Sea World Research Institute"!

3/3/10 UPDATE: Jon gave away more free T-shirts in Malibu!

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k27/letsamputate_2006/Web%20Junk/cop_sleeping_on_job.jpg DR

Fishbones
06-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Ghetto Alex, That is the hand launch jetty. Tried hooping the short pier twice for nada.

Seems like the snaggers work the Horseshoe pier the most.

I worked at Castaganolas on the pier in high school in 1977, before the pier burned down.

I think they give POACHERS a FREE PASS it Redondo. It is too long of a walk for lazy agents.

Very true Alex, but when it comes to Redondo Poachers, the 10 + times I've seen poaching on Redondo pier it has always been

hispanics. I called or tried to call 3 times on my lunch break yesterday on 2 Asians digging small clams in a reserve near OC.

This lady had a bucket of clams and spoke No English. Vietnam looking or Cambodian ?

DR

I grew up fishing that entire harbor and can personally say there is no race that poaches it more than the other.

just my opinion from time spent on the water there, Im not trying to single out any race because there all gulity.

Im trying to bring the attention of all to make there own difference while there by trying to get these guys caught and busted.

This has been going on for years and years and has to stop.

BrandonFish
06-06-2010, 02:36 AM
:ROFL:Dont bring the line this monday! lol J/k.. lookn forward to fishn with you docks then tubing it is! thx for the report i wont go anywhere near that line

Swank909
06-06-2010, 06:14 PM
Sunline is a Japanese brand and i love it! But it sure as hell ain't no clearence line haha. You were trying to use 3lb test off of rocks?...Thats nuts too! Like brandon said leave that crap line at home, bring some 8lb test for monday night :p

JapanRon
06-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Hi EyeAmRealGhetto,

So ..... what was the brand of line ? Nothing wrong with saying you might have got a bad batch along with the brand name. Besides ... some may put two and two together and not buy the rest of the guys stuff !! Revenge is sweet and a good PSA to your bros ... bro !!

JapanRon

flyngby
06-06-2010, 08:24 PM
We all get a bad deal hear and there! Sorry to hear about the smelly day but I am sure you will rebound as long as you trashed that line!

Better luck on the next outing!

Steve

murrieta angler
06-09-2010, 01:15 PM
Hey Eric!
Take the rest of the line you have left, tie it around the salesman neck and start tightening....When he starts to look worried, just tell him it will break in a second....lol
Robert

THROWBACK RANGER
06-10-2010, 08:31 AM
If these people didnt poach the lobster.. there would be an infestation like Palos Verdes has, I catch lobster unintentionally on plastics striped with sqiud all the time throwing for bass !! I was talking to a diver out there recently, he said they are climbing on each other out there in massive piles 4 to 6ft. high (spawn of coarse)... It takes about 1 minute for you to get stripped if you try and throw a bait out.... Worry about the people who want to poach the Broomtail Grouper if anything they have lived in that harbour the last 20 years +
Who gives a rats a.. about a lobster ? If anything these poachers just have high Cholesterol....
I.M.O...... Dropping a dime on someone will get you nowhere
Or would you prefer all these people learn how to actually FISh and start throwing live bait and plastics around each and every inch of the Harbour and boat docks and weed out EVERYTHING ? Thats how I look at it.........???????

THROWBACK RANGER
06-10-2010, 08:48 AM
Wanna talk Poach ?? look at how many Seals live in that TINY Harbour... If Fish and Game need to do anything its have population control on Cormorants and Seals !!! I counted over 60 Comorants the other night on the wall next to the Gas Docks !! lol.. what a JOKE !

smokehound
06-10-2010, 09:56 AM
Heh, that pic of the cop is hilarious. I wonder how many people noticed the guy behind him with two beers. LOL.

If you catch poaching in newport beach, there is an animal control officer that enforces regulations. I managed to get one leopard shark poacher busted.. Caught him snagging a 22 inch leo. I called the NBPD and made sure he didnt hear me.

As the animal control officer went on the pier, he caught the poacher selling the leopard shark to some tourists. Fortunately, the shark was still alive and made it back to the ocean. tourists werent charged, the poacher ended up having a warrant, i believe.

Go figure :\

Fishbones
06-10-2010, 10:16 AM
Worry about the people who want to poach the Broomtail Grouper if anything they have lived in that harbour the last 20 years +
Who gives a rats a.. about a lobster ?
I.M.O...... Dropping a dime on someone will get you nowhere
Or would you prefer all these people learn how to actually FISh and start throwing live bait and plastics around each and every inch of the Harbour and boat docks and weed out EVERYTHING ? Thats how I look at it.........???????

Wanna talk Poach ?? look at how many Seals live in that TINY Harbour... If Fish and Game need to do anything its have population control on Cormorants and Seals !!! I counted over 60 Comorants the other night on the wall next to the Gas Docks !! lol.. what a JOKE !

you make some good points here!!!, man i love to visit those beautiful broomtails,.,.,there awesome!!!!