PDA

View Full Version : Castaic Bait and Wait = Zip. Please Help!

Brewfish
06-03-2010, 12:15 PM
My buddy and I were at Castaic yesterday June 2 at the buoy line. People were slaying on both sides of us. We got skunked. Very frustrating. We got only one bite between 11:30 and 3:30. We were fishing just off the bottom, straight down. We were using 4 lb test and frozen 'dines. Carolina rigs on three rods and split shot on another rod. Nice long 3' leaders of 4 lb mono (not fluoro). Thin wire #2 hooks. 3/4" chunks of 'dine.

Any suggestions? Is it really important to use fresh dead 'dines instead of frozen?

Thanks for any help you can provide. I just can't figure out the bait and wait...

madwire3
06-03-2010, 12:23 PM
ive seen others recommend no weights just line and hook

fish4keep
06-03-2010, 12:30 PM
best thing to do is look at what the others are doing and why they are catching....

CL SmooV
06-03-2010, 12:31 PM
ive seen others recommend no weights just line and hook

I agree. Freeline is the way to go @ the bouy line. I have had success using spoons too.

koifish
06-03-2010, 02:19 PM
It's just a bad day.. bad luck for you...your set up was okay.

Fishbones
06-03-2010, 06:39 PM
1 thing ive learned in cases like yours is not to stay at that spot, move on to a different part of the bouyline and you should find them.

fishinone
06-03-2010, 08:37 PM
1 thing ive learned in cases like yours is not to stay at that spot, move on to a different part of the bouyline and you should find them.

Ditto!

Work the water column too. If your not getting bit at the bottom reel up one or two cranks. If that dooesn't work move it up again. Keep track of the depth so that you can put your bait back where you get bit.

The currents and bottom structure cause the fish to come through in some very narrow bands sometimes. I've been on spots where only one end of the boat would get bit and when I moved over, only the other end got bit. Other times the whole buoy line goes off.

dixoncider
06-03-2010, 09:21 PM
That is some good info there...Thanks

marzocchi
06-03-2010, 11:09 PM

Ditto!

Work the water column too. If your not getting bit at the bottom reel up one or two cranks. If that dooesn't work move it up again. Keep track of the depth so that you can put your bait back where you get bit.

The currents and bottom structure cause the fish to come through in some very narrow bands sometimes. I've been on spots where only one end of the boat would get bit and when I moved over, only the other end got bit. Other times the whole buoy line goes off.

A couple of feets makes a totally difference.

Brewfish
06-07-2010, 12:18 PM
A couple of feets makes a totally difference.

Thanks a ton for all the help guys!

KID CREOLE
06-10-2010, 03:16 PM
so does chum

Hitts0n
06-10-2010, 03:37 PM
how about just chum it...lol...get all the fish to come ur way....lol

DEADROOTS
06-10-2010, 03:48 PM
You might get into some trouble If you get hit by a DD striper using 4lb... Totally possible!