PDA

View Full Version : 6/3/10 First trip to Castaic. And boy am I smelly.

Zach1093
06-03-2010, 11:24 AM
Cause I got skunked.

Well I gave it a shot. Wind was blowing pretty hard and we got there at six. We were on the water at 6:30am and water seemed pretty still by the marina, however that would quickly change. Got out by the buoy line and the wind was already going pretty good. Unfortunately the tin cans they rent out had only about 20 feet of anchor line and we were getting thrown around by the wind so we decided to give Kong island a try just drift fishing. I think I got bit on the first cast fly-lining but only just a tap. Let it sit for about 5 min after that, brought it in and saw what looked like a small bite. Not zip after that. Fished there for another 30 or so min, drifting and resetting a few times and just couldn't get anything. Went back to the buoy line to check if the wind had died down any and see if we can try and get a few minutes around there but same thing, wind just knocked us around. So we decided to head in and submit to the wind. White caps were already starting to get into the marina and when we went to the shop to turn in the boat the guy working there said they may shut down the lake within 30 minutes or so, this was at 10:00 by the way. So I guess we weren't the only people thinking the wind was ridiculous lol.

Anyway so my fourth attempt at catching my first Striper was just like 1,2,3...failures lol. Just going to have to give it another try sometime in the next couple of weeks. However, my first time going to Castaic and I gotta say its a really cool lake. Nice sights, nice people, and the lake looks really well maintained/monitored. Thanks for reading, wish I had pictures lol.

Fishbones
06-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Never give up zach, that tap you felt was a bite, those stripers have been kinda picky sometimes,
looking foward to your next castaic report where you slay the linesides, thanks for the report.

lalo56
06-03-2010, 11:35 AM
I been wanting to go but everytime we decide to go we call in the morning and they say they are not renting boats due to the winds. Good luck next time.

Swank909
06-03-2010, 12:02 PM
There is always next time Zach! If at first you dont succeed, try try and try again! Striper is worth it for sure, tastes so goooood. There are always the 3 fish Striper packs at Costco for 10$ but that takes all the fun out of it lol, never compares to catching your own haha.

Lalo lets split a boat sometime!

madwire3
06-03-2010, 12:28 PM
throw some money at T/O he'll get ya on the lines

gletemfeelsteelgary
06-03-2010, 12:33 PM
throw some money at T/O he'll get ya on the lines
Word......

Stripa masta'

Zach1093
06-03-2010, 12:39 PM
There is always next time Zach! If at first you dont succeed, try try and try again! Striper is worth it for sure, tastes so goooood. There are always the 3 fish Striper packs at Costco for 10$ but that takes all the fun out of it lol, never compares to catching your own haha.

Lalo lets split a boat sometime!

Haha yeah, but its the adventure were all after!

And yeah, Troutonly sure knows what he's doing. Man knows how to get um!

trandc9
06-03-2010, 01:42 PM
I was there with my father in-law yesterday too (6/3/2010), and we got limits (20) strippers @ buoy line, this was my 3/3 limits for this season. I saw so many guys trying to fly-linning sardine all day long and got nothing. Just wanna share my what so call "secrete" ...hehe .... I used my trout gear: 1000 reel, 2-6 lbs rod, 4 lbs test line, 24 inches-4 lbs seaguard flurocarbon lead, 3/8 oz or less slide sinker, 1/0 Owner worm hook and NIGHT CRAWLER. Go to the buoy line, bring your 150 yards anchor lines or tying your boat to the buoy line (make sure to take it off when the security boat come, I heard it's a $200+ citation), drop your line all the way to the bottom then crank it up about 5-6 turns, just wait and you will get fish. They bite early morning and late afternoon, during the day using mooching technique may get you couple more. Someone will hate me for this ...hihi
Good luck!

Zach1093
06-03-2010, 01:47 PM
I was there with my father in-law yesterday too (6/3/2010), and we got limits (20) strippers @ buoy line, this was my 3/3 limits for this season. I saw so many guys trying to fly-linning sardine all day long and got nothing. Just wanna share my what so call "secrete" ...hehe .... I used my trout gear: 1000 reel, 2-6 lbs rod, 4 lbs test line, 24 inches-4 lbs seaguard flurocarbon lead, 3/8 oz or less slide sinker, 1/0 Owner worm hook and NIGHT CRAWLER. Go to the buoy line, bring your 150 yards anchor lines or tying your boat to the buoy line (make sure to take it off when the security boat come, I heard it's a $200+ citation), drop your line all the way to the bottom then crank it up about 5-6 turns, just wait and you will get fish. They bite early morning and late afternoon, during the day using mooching technique may get you couple more. Someone will hate me for this ...hihi
Good luck!

Todays the 3rd partner yesteday was the 2nd haha. But yeah I'll definently try that next time im out there! And yeah we didnt want to risk the ticket of tying off. Didn't want to make a relatively cheap trip and expensive one!

Swank909
06-03-2010, 01:49 PM
Someone will hate me for this ...hihi Good luck!

I for one appreciate the advice and i'll give it a try next time im out there (June 11th i think...)

koifish
06-03-2010, 02:16 PM
You'll get them next time.... I've got so many skunk trips before...