PDA

View Full Version : Bishop Creek Canyon Conditions & Fishing Report

Sierra_Smitty
06-03-2010, 08:30 AM
South Lake has open water popping up all over the lake - we're hoping to see it ice free by the end of the week. The main inlet is the hot spot but its super sketchy to get there as you have to walk across a massive ice sheet and its slippery. I fished there Tuesday with a couple of my employees and we landed 28 fish in about an hour and a half - all on orange or red powerworms. The water level is still very low but that will change very fast with the amazingly good weather we're having and the forecast.

Sabrina has kicked out two very nice browns this week....one at 2.5lbs and one at 4.5lbs. Both caught on an AC plug at dusk. Anglers over the holiday weekend, even the ones who aren't avid anglers, did very well on crawlers or salmon peach PB. I fished there Monday afternoon with my boat dock manager for about 2 hours and we landed 17 rainbows on red, orange and white powerworms. I was surprised to find that the fish were not stacked in tight to the rushing inlets but were hanging off a shelf in deeper water right about where the current was no longer visible on the surface. Both myself and my buddy farmed a ridiculous number of fish - we were quick on the hookset to reduce the chance of any of these holdovers swallowing the hook.

Intake II - I don't really fish the intake II but word around the canyon is that the bite is pretty dang good. The Bishop Chamber put in Alpers on Monday including tagged fish for the Bishop Creek Canyon Summer Classic derby that is going on during the month of June. These fish are the larger model Alpers. I've had two weighed in here since Monday - one that went 3lbs and one that went 23 1/2" and 5lb 6oz. The guy who caught the 3lber had a pretty decent limit on his stringer - all caught on hatchery pellet PB....which I didn't even know existed.

South Fork Bishop Creek has been so so - its really rushing right now which makes the pocket water here at the resort a little tough. Weir, Willow, Table Mountain and Surveyors meadow all have slower water so those are the places that people seem to be having success. A single salmon egg on a size 12 hook has been the most popular.

Backcountry - Still socked in with snow. The only reports I've had were from guests who hiked to Grass lake over the holiday weekend. They hiked on snow the entire way but found willing Brook Trout when they got there. I would imagine the basin above South Lake will be breaking here pretty quick with the freaking awesome weather.

Mosquitos - they are here.....they are huge. It only took 5 days of good weather to wake them up but they have arrived. I'm actually happy they're the larger model skeeters because they're easier to see and swat.

For updates as they happen, feel free to check out our Facebook page....link here.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Bishop-CA/Parchers-Resort-South-Lake-Landing/79705363136?ref=ts&ajaxpipe=1&__a=12

Peace,
Smitty

chris273
06-03-2010, 10:04 AM
[QUOTE=Sierra_Smitty;462389]
The guy who caught the 3lber had a pretty decent limit on his stringer - all caught on hatchery pellet PB....which I didn't even know existed.

if anyone is interested in the hatchery pellet pb

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0039YTVX6/ref=asc_df_B0039YTVX61134009?smid=A1SQJ55GUIVOGP&tag=shopzilla_mp_1228-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B0039YTVX6

STEVE IN SOCAL
06-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Good report, Jarod...
We've reserved a pontoon at south lake for the 2nd and also the 5th of July. What are the chances of having them in the water by then? It looked pretty low last week.
We're going to use them as 'Mother Ships' for kayak fishing.

Also, are you whacky worming or straight hooking the PW's? Drop shotting?

Thx..steve

Sierra_Smitty
06-03-2010, 11:16 AM
Good report, Jarod...
We've reserved a pontoon at south lake for the 2nd and also the 5th of July. What are the chances of having them in the water by then? It looked pretty low last week.
We're going to use them as 'Mother Ships' for kayak fishing.

Also, are you whacky worming or straight hooking the PW's? Drop shotting?

Thx..steve

I tried Dropshotting, and caught a few, but straight hooking them with a split shot 18" above the hook was waaaaay more productive.

The chances of having the toons in the water by July 1st is very very very good....in fact I'm hoping to have them in by the team 57 event, although its hard to say if that will happen or not.

Trout 1
06-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Intake II + minijig + bobber = epic fishing. Thats how it was last week anyway.

Trout 1

Fishbones
06-03-2010, 11:23 AM
thanks for the report smitty, sounds like some great fishing up there.

Fisherman57
06-03-2010, 11:47 AM
I tried Dropshotting, and caught a few, but straight hooking them with a split shot 18" above the hook was waaaaay more productive.

The chances of having the toons in the water by July 1st is very very very good....in fact I'm hoping to have them in by the TEAM 57 event, although its hard to say if that will happen or not.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in a couple weeks!

cpt_majestic
06-03-2010, 12:25 PM
13 days, 5 hours and 12 minutes, but who's counting....I can't wait

Sierra_Smitty
06-03-2010, 01:53 PM
By the way folks - I just heard from the DFG and both South Lake and Sabrina have been cleared for DFG & Alpers stocking.

Unforunately North Lake needs to be surveyed in July and again in August prior to any fish being planted.

STEVE IN SOCAL
06-03-2010, 01:56 PM
Intake II + minijig + bobber = epic fishing. Thats how it was last week anyway.

Trout 1

I might need to try that...thanks for the tip.

cpt_majestic
06-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Unforunately North Lake needs to be surveyed in July and again in August prior to any fish being planted.

wa wa wa what??

I actually just got of the phone with dfg and they confirmed that their waiting for survey, no eta..Heres a good list of approved lakes and streams.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fish/Hatcheries/FishPlanting/Evaluation.asp

Sierra_Smitty
06-03-2010, 06:53 PM
wa wa wa what??

I actually just got of the phone with dfg and they confirmed that their waiting for survey, no eta..Heres a good list of approved lakes and streams.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fish/Hatcheries/FishPlanting/Evaluation.asp

Yup - they've been pretty good at keeping that list updated once a week or so...in fact that list was updated today. Only two lakes have been marked for survey North and Silver.