PDA

View Full Version : How To: Getting your Significant Other to "Fish with You"

Swank909
06-02-2010, 10:18 PM
The trick(s) to getting your significant other to fish with you is; To carry a backpack FULL OF SNACKS and to make FREQUENT RESTROOM STOPS (yes, Frequent).

Then PROMISE to take them to either a) Mall of their Choice or b) Outlet of their choice. Followed by dinner at a restaurant of her choosing (be ready to spend the big bucks)

Works every time, although I'm starting to think it's really not worth it (just kidding honey.....).

P.S: Catching fish helps, if you get skunked....don't expect her to want to go backl

Feel free to chime in with some other suggestions, I'm interested in hearing some of the other ideas floating around.

Other Suggested Tips:

Bring Booze
Group outings (Bring other couples)
Take Pictures for Facebook
*Keep the trips short*
Let her drive the boat (do not mention sea sickness)
Don't worry about "you" catching fish
Make the day about them and help them get on fish. Fishing should be fun!
Leave the kids at home

It's much easier when they want to go everytime, but then it gets harder to just Fish with the Guys and only the guys......"be back later honey, gonna go help Dave rebuild his carb" (quote edited for flare)

P.S.S: *I love fishing with my fiancee, so I am in no way trying to put anyone off from the idea*

Some inspiration:
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab123/swank909/NPH%20May/resized.jpg?t=1275589844

Hoshnasi
06-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Bring booze.

madwire3
06-02-2010, 10:55 PM
much easier when they want to go everytime, but then its harder for "fishin with the guys" and only the guys,, ......"be back later gonna go help dave rebuild his carb" .... yeah messy

bsp
06-02-2010, 11:01 PM
Surf fishing always works for me if I want to take a girl fishing in the summer. Use Gulp (you have to touch it), and find a nice trench stacked with perch and let them catch them to their heart's content. Unhook everything, tie all the knots, and deal with all the issues. The point now is for her to catch fish, not to become a fisherwoman. If she's done after one fish, accept it and enjoy the day at the beach with an attractive girl.

The other way I have found is to call up all your friends that like the beach/surf fishing and organize a shark fishing trip from the beach. Have everybody else bring their GFs too so all the GFs can talk and hang out while the guys fish. After you beach a few rays or sharks, start calling the girls once you hook another one and let them take turns fighting it for however long they want. Leopard sharks and big bat rays make great facebook pix. Bring a lot of food down too and make an event out of it. That way if the sharks don't show, you had a good beach party.

Basically, rather than make a rewards system, I've found that it's a lot better to integrate fishing with another fun activity so you can ditch fishing if it's not productive (ie boring). Also, focus solely on your GF/wife catching fish. The best trips I've found have the girl I'm with telling her friends "I had a great day at the beach, and I even caught a few fish." Fishing trips come later, so remember to keep it a fun/quick extra with another activity.

fisherman from long beach
06-03-2010, 07:49 AM
i got my girl to go out on the monark with me,never did i mention the seasick word.let her drive out of the harbor and dropped off a couple of hoop nets for some crab.baited,knotted,and cast,and took the fish of the hook took pics.fed her and pulled nets for some crab.i told her when she is ready to go let me know and we will leave.she out fished me 10-3.and also used ghost shrimp,which is crack on the wall.she had a blast,and then i became the man of the year (again).cause i put her on fish!thats how you do it.

Fishbones
06-03-2010, 09:55 AM
much easier when they want to go everytime, but then its harder for "fishin with the guys" and only the guys,, ......"be back later gonna go help dave rebuild his carb" .... yeah messy

hahahahahahahaha, so true......

Granny Fish
06-03-2010, 11:31 AM
i got my girl to go out on the monark with me,never did i mention the seasick word.let her drive out of the harbor and dropped off a couple of hoop nets for some crab.baited,knotted,and cast,and took the fish of the hook took pics.fed her and pulled nets for some crab.i told her when she is ready to go let me know and we will leave.she out fished me 10-3.and also used ghost shrimp,which is crack on the wall.she had a blast,and then i became the man of the year (again).cause i put her on fish!thats how you do it.

You're definately man of the year material. Can't say my husband has ever had a problem getting me out to fish or going out with the guys when he wants too. If you have a spouse that doesn't enjoy it, I think the best thing you can do is make the day about them and help them get on fish. Fishing should be fun.

06-03-2010, 11:35 AM
You're definately man of the year material. Can't say my husband has ever had a problem getting me out to fish or going out with the guys when he wants too. If you have a spouse that doesn't enjoy it, I think the best thing you can do is make the day about them and help them get on fish. Fishing should be fun.

thank you very much,i appreciate it.matter of fact she asked me when are we gonna go again.love it.

Fishbones
06-03-2010, 11:41 AM
she out fished me 10-3.and also used ghost shrimp

the only bad thing about such a great day was getting your butt kicked by your girl fishing...lol

man i swear it happens to me everytime i take my girl fishing and im a good fisherman too....

it just seems that all my skillz disappear and magicaly are with her these trips...lol

Swank909
06-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Yea she beats me, ....but I let her *cough* *cough* (My girl is notorious for doubling my fish count)

You too, right Alex? We let them win to build onto the idea of fun fishing! ....yea that's it....

06-03-2010, 12:04 PM
the only bad thing about such a great day was getting your butt kicked by your girl fishing...lol

man i swear it happens to me everytime i take my girl fishing and im a good fisherman too....

it just seems that all my skillz disappear and magicaly are with her these trips...lola alex its hard to fish when your baitin,casting,and puttin some in the cooler for tacos.but as long as she enjoyed herself thats all that matters.

bman90278
06-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Great thread!

For me its still tough to go fishing with my wife and 2 little ones because its a full time job just entertaining the 2 little ones. I think my wife would love going fishing with just me, but its always hard to leave the little ones behind. Hopefully as the kids get older it will be easier.

-brian

Which Way Out
06-06-2010, 09:49 AM
I got damn lucky. She doesn't care to fish but she loves to cook and eat em. Did I say she is Japanese......: ) She prefers saltwater over freshwater fish and get this, she tells me to go fishing. Can you say LUCKY DOG

Swank909
06-06-2010, 03:30 PM
I got damn lucky. She doesn't care to fish but she loves to cook and eat em. Did I say she is Japanese......: ) She prefers saltwater over freshwater fish and get this, she tells me to go fishing. Can you say LUCKY DOG

Thats awesome, You lucked out big time :P

elevated
06-14-2010, 10:07 PM
My girl's getting pretty good, I just always 1) put her first and 2) get her on fish. Pretty simple.

billy b
06-15-2010, 07:09 AM
2) get her on fish ... easy for you to say maybe

1. Don't stay out on the boat past 12:30
2. Stop at Starbucks on the way to the marina ... if she can handle it. This was always a must at BBLake
3. Take her to the Carson Peak Inn if you're anywhere near the June Loop. Last time at Bport, I made the commute just for her.
4. You may need to put her worm on ... that's been the tradition since fishing on our honeymoon (1969)

Of course, express your appreciation with a favor or two ... and a word or two.

It's worked for 40+ years