PDA

View Full Version : El Dorado Vs. Alondra. Tips or Advice on catching my first bass since I was a teen.

Surfer
06-01-2010, 07:58 PM
I might try El Dorado for the first time tomorrow. I need a break from the stench of skunkage in Alondra. Although I've been to El Dorado a few times I've never actually fished there. They also recently stocked it with kitties according to the Dfg website. How does El Dorado compare to Alondra? I can't imagine it being nearly as tough as Alondra. I'm planning to target Bass and maybe some panfishing. Anyone got any tips or comments?

bman90278
06-02-2010, 06:12 AM
Hey Surfer, Alondra is very tough right now..The only catches I've seen are in the no fishing zones. Plus they recently lowered the lake level a good foot or two which has affected lots of the shore weedline and the pumps have been off for weeks..Not too mention lots of weekend people fishing there.

I'd give El Dorado a shot for bass this week. If you don't catch any bass, they DFG did stock kitty's over there and the crappie bite should be picking up too. Not to mention it's quite possible you might catch one of the larger resident kitty's while fishing for bass...That's if you are fishing with plastics. Here is a pic of a kitty I saw caught there a few weeks ago...It was actually a lot wider when looking at it head on. You should bring your buddy I saw catching all those trout at Alondra...He's probably set up for catchin lots of crappie.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm192/bman90278/Img_0100a.jpg?t=1275484069

bman90278
06-02-2010, 06:15 AM
BTW Surfer, hang in there on your bass quest. I was in your same shoes last year when I started fishing Alondra. Growing up I used to fish Lake Sherwood all the time and caught lots of bass. Then I stayed focussed on trout and ocean fishing until last year. I too had a tough time catching my first bass since my teenage years, but had lots of fun doing it.

-b

Hoshnasi
06-02-2010, 09:53 AM
... I'd give El Dorado a shot for bass this week. If you don't catch any bass, they DFG did stock kitty's over there and the crappie bite should be picking up too. Not to mention it's quite possible you might catch one of the larger resident kitty's while fishing for bass...That's if you are fishing with plastics...
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm192/bman90278/Img_0100a.jpg?t=1275484069

What plastics are you using? I pretty much only have heard of bait working on cats.

Bradakas
06-02-2010, 10:41 AM
I had cat that size rip a trout off my stringer at that same spot where that picture was taken.

doorman
06-02-2010, 10:59 AM
What plastics are you using? I pretty much only have heard of bait working on cats.

I don't know what he was using, but I have caught catfish on dropshot, t-rig and crankbaits before. sometimes they get hungry I guess haha

beethao
06-02-2010, 11:24 AM
the bass fishing at EL Dorado has recently picked up a little bit, but it's still hard to make bass commit to your lures. Here's a tip for you, they are pretty shallow at this time. Go after them in the early morning or late afternoon when it's colder. If not then find some cover and flip or pitch some soft plastics or jigs to catch bass.

OnlyHappyHooknHawgz
06-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Going to try el dorado this afternoon.. will let u know how i did when i get back. And .. if anyones fishing at el dorado and happens 2 see me there.. come up and say hi =]

bman90278
06-02-2010, 01:15 PM
Going to try el dorado this afternoon.. will let u know how i did when i get back. And .. if anyones fishing at el dorado and happens 2 see me there.. come up and say hi =]

Good luck to u.

I went to Alondra today for the late morning bite and had no luck. For the first time this month I did even see any bass close to the shore. Maybe it was the weather change again? It was breezy, cool and overcast...was kinda mistry too.
I guess next time I will head to the lake for the early action, but I will wait for it to warm up later this week.

brian

dfisher
06-02-2010, 11:29 PM
which lake does the DFG stock in? Also which lake has crappie?

bman90278
06-03-2010, 06:04 AM
which lake does the DFG stock in? Also which lake has crappie?

Both lakes get Catfish and Trout stocks, but I don't think Alondra has crappie. El Dorado does have crappie for sure.

I've fished both of those lakes during when they stock trout and the fishing is very good at both of them. Haven't tried kitty fishing at either, but I've seen great kitty fishing at Alondra and I'm sure El Dorado is equal or better.

-b

DockRat
06-03-2010, 06:16 AM
Hey Surfer, do you surf ?

Who is Walter Patty Cakes ?

El Dorado Regional Park Hours:
7AM - Dusk
Closed Christmas
Cost: Monday - Friday $5.00 per vehicle
Saturday - Sunday $7.00 per vehicle
Holidays - $8.00 per vehicle
Annual Pass: $52.00, Seniors/Disabled: $31.00

Fishing

Fishing Licenses are required for anyone age 16 or older. All fishing regulations must be followed. Here is a list of the fish that are in the lakes (two stocked lakes) and the limits that you are allowed to keep:

Largemouth Bass - 5 Fish (It is preferred that they are released back into the lake unharmed)
current record 13.4 lbs by walter patty cakes of los angeles c.a.
Bluegill - (Pan Fish) No Limit
Crappie - (Pan Fish) 25 Fish Limit
Redear Sunfish - No Limit
Common Carp - Unknown
Catfish (Stocked) No Limit
Trout (Stocked) 5 Fish Limit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Dorado_Park,_Long_Beach,_California

DockRat
06-03-2010, 06:27 AM
I went to Alondra today for the late morning bite and had no luck.

If nothing is biting and you had no luck then,

What is a 'Late Morning Bite' ?

Is it the same as a 'Late Morning Skunk; ?

DR

bman90278
06-03-2010, 06:32 AM
Hey Surfer, do you surf ?

If nothing is biting and you had no luck then,

What is a 'Late Morning Bite' ?

Is it the same as a 'Late Morning Skunk; ?

Nothing like a smart a s s reply on a good thread.

-b

DockRat
06-03-2010, 06:42 AM
Nothing like a smart a s s reply on a good thread.

-b

N Redondo,

Walter Patty Cakes is on the website !

See the blonde on the Subway ad to the right ?
That chain looks to be under pressure ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Dorado_Park,_Long_Beach,_California

Who is Walter Patty Cakes ? DR

DockRat
06-03-2010, 06:58 AM
I googled 'Walter Patty Cakes' and see he holds the LMB record also at DVL.
This is not some made up DR BS. Walter is real. Check it out at the bottom of the website page.

Who Is Walter Patty Cakes ?

Walter is coming to a lake near you to set a LMB lake record.

Diamond Valley Lake

Diamond Valley Lake is an important storage reservoir in the California State Water Project for Southern California, USA. It is located in a broad valley in the saddle of two long mountains in the San Jacinto River drainage area. It is one of the largest reservoirs in the region and also one of the newest. The lake nearly doubled the area’s surface water storage capacity and provides additional water supplies for drought, peak summer, and emergency needs.

current record for large mouth bass 19.4 by walter patty cakes los angeles c.a.

Walter Patty Cakes is at the bottom of the page on this DVL website ??????????

http://encyclopedia.vestigatio.com/Diamond_Valley_Lake

DR

Surfer
06-03-2010, 07:59 AM
I'm a Manhattan Beach Pier regular. I also frequent the Northside of Huntington Beach Pier. Been surfing for several years now.

Surfer
06-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Finally caught one!!! Check it: http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?46852-6-3-10-They-day-I-broke-the-10-year-bass-slump-at-El-Dorado.-Praise-God!!!