PDA

View Full Version : First time fishing Newport Harbor help

tizzfishin
06-01-2010, 05:21 PM
I plan on fishing newport harbor soon. Where are some good spots to fish from a boat. I have a 17ft open bow and am tired of fishing irvine lake. Thanks

fisherman from long beach
06-01-2010, 06:02 PM
all over.you need a buddy shoot me a pm

smokehound
06-05-2010, 06:10 AM
I could show ya some cool spots. I fish the harbor all the time. Just PM me whenever you head out there, and I'll meet you guys there.

Here are some basics-- dont just target the deep water, often many boat anglers will end up catching fish in shallow water, easily reachable by the shore-angler.

In the deeper areas, when it warms up, you can try casting a silver spoon for bonito and Cudas. The gulp new-penny shrimps work quite well in the harbor, however you will catch mostly croaker.

Whenever I rent a boat from davey's locker, i usually just drift-fish with dead sardines. I never really bother going for the live dines and chovies at the bait station, because its not worth my time, IMO. Its funner to use a lure anyway.

Ghost shrimp are even better, though you will run out of them quickly. Bigfish tackle on PCH and seal beach blvd sell their ghosties for a reasonable price ---$5.60, and they give you a nice amount, lively too. Last time I went, they gave me like 14 ghosts, and i ran out of them in like, 30 minutes. Check and see if any fish markets near you have fresh-dead squid. You can tell it's fresh-dead if the squid are still transparent.

PM me if you want some more specific info.

tizzfishin
06-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm gonna try and get out there this week.

Swank909
06-05-2010, 10:33 AM
You could always tow my float tube around and we can show you some promising spots lol. Do you know what species you want to target?

tizzfishin
06-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Bass, halibut or whatever likes what I am throwing. I have been only fishing freshwater and am bored of the the local options.

Swank909
06-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Well me and Brandonfish hit up the harbor almost every week, hit us up if you need any help. Never fished from a boat in the harbor though, just our tubes and the shore. We'll be there this tuesday actually. Good luck

-Daniel