PDA

View Full Version : Bananas on boats.

FISHINGBEE
06-01-2010, 09:29 AM
I am not superstitious but every time i found a Banana on board it all went wrong. Being a old Deckhand i find it true.

FISHINGBEE

fish4keep
06-01-2010, 11:49 AM
some do and some don't. personally i don't. i was on the AA for a three day. there was a fruit basket in the galley loaded with fruits including bananas. the boat limited out on bfts and albies.

madwire3
06-01-2010, 12:54 PM
bananas another scapegoat for the skunk or fouls haha come onnnnnnn own up to it dont blame the poor nanners hah

dixoncider
06-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Bananas=bad luck.

Fishbones
06-01-2010, 03:15 PM
I use to be against the banana thing ever since ive been fishing untill lately fishing with webmaster jeff, we slayed in the fresh & salt with bananas on the boat so this is obviously not true.

first time i slayed with him on his boat and we put all the fish on the deck for a pic and he pulls out a banana and places it on the fish my heart almost stopped but i guess hes been doing this forever so i kinda got use to it now.

from what i hear is the story goes way back when, there were some ships that use to import bananas and every ship sank and never made it to port so this is where the whole banana curse came from,.

dixoncider
06-01-2010, 06:14 PM
You are playing with fire..do not.

Jackpot Jimmy
06-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Personally I think it's a pretty lame excuse for bad fishing. I've also heard the story about the ship full of bananas that sank, so I understand how it got started. When I used to fish Dana Point, one of the best captains down there used to bring a banana every day for breakfast, and I had many of my best days in my 11 years of fishing when he ran the boat.

With that being said, people have a right to believe what they believe.

Hometown
06-01-2010, 08:18 PM
bananas I DONT BRING THEM WITH ME JUST OLD SUPERSTITION BUT IVE SEEN THE TUNA ON THE CORNER SO THICK I BET I COULD CATCH ONE ON THE BANANA PEEL. OLD SALT AKA:HOMETOWN:

Big Daddy
06-01-2010, 09:10 PM
I heard from a guy up in Alaska and I have read on the internet that the problem was that the oil from the bannana skin is a natural fish repellent. Not sure but I am not getting near them.

bsp
06-01-2010, 09:39 PM
PCS did a funny article on this a while back by asking a bunch of different captains what they thought. Most of the long range boats like the Royal Polaris don't care and have bananas on board. They do incredibly well. The theory I've heard is that since bananas are tropical, people would die as they were brought on the boat as brazilian wandering spiders and vipers would hitch hike in the bananas and bite the crew. This actually still happens on occasion. A lot of local captains hate bananas still.

I'm indifferent about it. If bananas are there, I'll eat them as I happen to like bananas. If not, I won't complain. I just don't bring them on open part trips as some dudes get really paranoid (Go NBU!). If fishing's good, nobody cares that there are bananas around. If it's lousy, a piece of fruit is a convenient thing to blame and the confidence boost might cause you to get more fish.

DockRat
06-02-2010, 06:07 AM
Bananas, Black Cats, go under a Ladder, Broken Mirror.

Superstitions, Hahahahah .:ROFL:
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e14/mariepain/myspace_graph/Superstition.jpg

Bananas are GOOD LUCK :Envious: Here is some in my driveway. :Guns:
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i99/DockRat/YT.jpgDR

k3vin_kim
06-04-2010, 11:18 PM
I just don't bring them on open part trips as some dudes get really paranoid (Go NBU!).

lol - i love bananas.

k3vin_kim
06-04-2010, 11:21 PM
#)*%&*($!&(#&()@_

smokehound
06-05-2010, 06:48 AM
I'm allergic to bananas. Oddly enough, raw corn too. Though cooked corn is fine.

I never personally liked the taste of bananas, anyway. Bananas are for wimps. true badasses will bring a papaya.

FISHINGBEE
06-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Thanks for your opinions. I will post a true wrath of the banana for those who do not believe

FISHINGBEE

DockRat
06-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Mark Wisch and Behdad (Betafish) at PE always pack bananas and slay the fish.
Last 2 trips Behdad has shown bananas in his pics with limits of WSW. One was 50+lbs.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j104/Edney13/Animations/UrbanLegend.gif
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa231/FrankTheTank1236/bananas.jpgDR